Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Kolozvary
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We set up the board, I went through the rules as fast as I could and watched his eyes glaze over after about a minute, and then I said let's just play. We'll figure it out. The instructions say to remove all the commander cards when playing with younger children so we did. Other than rolling with four dice the first few times, my son picked this one up really quick and had a blast (except for the losing part). As usual, it came down to one dice roll.

The board is broken down into three sections...left, middle, and right. The cards we left in the game show one of these sections and have a number listed in that section defining the number of units you may play with that round. Easy enough for my six year old to understand.

We also ignored the Armor Overrun rules which say that if you're a tank and you're right next to the Hex you just cleared, you may move into that space. I think I'll add this rule back in next time as he got it since he loved playing with the tanks. I also laid out the terrain cards so he could see which spots roll with one less die. You also roll dice based on the number of hexes or distance you are from your opponent and he seems to understand this as well. There is a card that helps with this too.

The dice have the following symbols on them: flags, grenade, star, tank, and infantry. They each do something different and my son didn’t have any problems figuring out what constituted a successful hit.

What I loved most about this game is that he looked so tense before his move. It's like he was going into battle each time. We played on non-beach side of the map and he got to use some tanks which he did at every chance he could get. We'll definitely take this one back out really soon so he has a chance for revenge.

Check out these two pics. I love em. They capture the moments perfectly.

Fun Factor 8/10
Replayability 10/10
Overall 8.5/10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
My son loved this too. To even the field a bit, I put only 3 troops into each of my infantry units. I still won, but it was a nail biter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! I can´t wait to play board games with my son (he is 7 months at the moment, any tips)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with 54mm plastic soldiers. You can use poker chips under them for unit strength.

Oh, wait...7 months...hmmm...ok, start with 54mm plastic soldiers and get some cool plastic armymen tanks...(make sure none of the parts are small enough to swallow...and leave them in the pack-and-play or scatter them around his boppie pillow.

Your wife will most likely think you are insane, but stick to your priniciples and soon you will have your little guy as a game partner!

This works with little girls too...at least with mine...until about age 11. Now, she is starting to worry about makeup.soblue Still, I get the occasional Risk LoTR or Risk Narnia game with her

My oldest son is just getting old enough...we played Battle Cry 150!!!

By the way, did you know that Marvel Comics does historical comics? They do! I got my boy the Antietam one. We wear kepis when we play!

It's great to be a gamer dad of gamer kids!!!!cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dad's playing with sons - love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My son is 4 and I already bought nearly all Memoir 44 expansins, aint that crazy? My wife after she saw the figures thought its still too early for real wargames. So I bought Battlelore and then Iwanted to play with him. He says "hey I dont want to figbt you, we are friends". It was sweet on one side but...so we both fought against the big Spider and now I bought the Dragons and Creatures exp to have more too fight against together. I hope in 2 more years hes were your boy is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus G
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this was a great post! Thanks! My son is 2 and I can't wait to introduce him to boardgames, especially those like Memoir whose themes tend to turn off my wife. When I find a game I truly enjoy, I often wonder how old my son would need to be to play, whether it would go over well, etc.

Before reading your post, I was wondering at what age a child could handle Memoir. I see that limiting some of the rules as you did is a good way to introduce it to younger players. One of my biggest concerns, still, is that Memoir is a game where you are in direct competition, and I wondered how well a young child (like 6) would take to this. It also seems like a game where frustration would be high (even adults complain they just can't get the right cards).

Any advice on this? Did you ever "throw" moves, or were you playing to win the whole time? Did you find your son found the game frustrating at all, and how did you coach him on that? I saw another reply where the goal of the game was changed when playing with a 4 year old. Was anything like that done when you played with your 6 year old?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe someone should make a Geeklist over games that are fun for both kids and adults (Memoir 44, Dominion? and so forth) so that we don´t have to start of with Hungry Hippos or something gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
eatem wrote:
Nice! I can´t wait to play board games with my son (he is 7 months at the moment, any tips)?

You just need a high chair and a card holder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Piledriver wrote:
My son is 4 and I already bought nearly all Memoir 44 expansins, aint that crazy? My wife after she saw the figures thought its still too early for real wargames. So I bought Battlelore and then Iwanted to play with him. He says "hey I dont want to figbt you, we are friends". It was sweet on one side but...so we both fought against the big Spider and now I bought the Dragons and Creatures exp to have more too fight against together. I hope in 2 more years hes were your boy is!

That's a great little story.

Sounds like he'd love Defenders of the Realm so he can play alongside you. My boys love that aspect too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get yourself a deck in French and play with the full deck including Commander cards. You'll be on even ground, then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saxophone wrote:
Get yourself a deck in French and play with the full deck including Commander cards. You'll be on even ground, then.

That is acually a good idea laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.