Popular Tags: [View All]
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

More drought ahead. I think we saved three of our four cherry trees earlier this summer during the drought, though we probably lost one. Now they're turning brown again.

Looks like our governor has requested that Georgia be declared a disaster area due to drought. "To qualify, counties must sustain a 30-percent loss in at least one commodity."

I wish the rain our country has gotten this summer had been a little more spread out. New England, could you send some down this way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacqui Bankler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Texas looks worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross G.
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Wisdom begins in wonder.
badge
Stale pastry is hollow succor to a man who is bereft of ostrich.
mbmbmbmbmb
How is D4 the highest level? That's the smallest die that comes in a set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross G.
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Wisdom begins in wonder.
badge
Stale pastry is hollow succor to a man who is bereft of ostrich.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, they have exceptional as a higher level than extreme. Don't they know anything about superlatives? Which of these sounds worse:

A. Texas is suffering from an exceptional drought.

B. Texas is suffering from drought TO THE EXTREME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lawyered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Forgive me for sharing. We were Exceptional for most of the summer. I know Texas looks worse. I know Texas is hurting. That doesn't mean that stuff isn't horribly bad here, either.

I thought someone might care. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad. And some people still deny that there is climate change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

Forgive me for sharing. We were Exceptional for most of the summer. I know Texas looks worse. I know Texas is hurting. That doesn't mean that stuff isn't horribly bad here, either.

The only one who cares for Georgia is Ray Charles and he's dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Amy, I'm glad you were able to save some of the cherry trees. Did you use drip irrigation? or another watering schedule?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

Thanks for raining on Amy's parade, Jacqui! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Amy, I'm glad you were able to save some of the cherry trees. Did you use drip irrigation? or another watering schedule?

Can't you always hand water? Even with watering restrictions?

Which my neighbor must love. Because he doesn't use a sprinkler system or a sprinkler attached to a hose. His yard is nice and green.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:

A watering schedule involving moving the hose around a lot. I'm sitting at the table now, looking out on the backyard. I looks like we're very likely to lose a second cherry tree, and possibly a third.

Also, the back of our yard is heavily wooded -- forrest thickness. I can see seven huge, deciduous trees turning brown from here. I can't really tell how the pine trees look. They may be 150-200 feet tall (I'm not good at estimating the height of trees), so it's kind of hard to tell from the ground. We have a creek running through the back, and I think at the beginning of the summer, the trees did okay because of the creek. Creek's been dry awhile now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hamzy wrote:
Sinister Dexter wrote:

Can't you always hand water? Even with watering restrictions?

Which my neighbor must love. Because he doesn't use a sprinkler system or a sprinkler attached to a hose. His yard is nice and green.

Yeah, we're not supposed to water but once a week. Hmm.

(We sure as heck don't water our yard, though. So I'm justifying a little extra water for some trees.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
amwiles wrote:

Willie has Georgia on his mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
edroz wrote:
joebelanger wrote:

Willie has Georgia on his mind.

And yet he still hangs around here in Texas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
hamzy wrote:

Thanks for raining on Amy's parade, Jacqui! devil

I only wish someone would rain on our parade. Shoot, I wouldn't mind a hurricane on our parade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
On the other hand, when I rode in this morning the temperature outside was 42F. 42!!! 10 more degrees down and we'll be at freezing! Crap!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Honorable Mayor McCheese
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has rained nearly every day since I arrived in Florida. I would love to share it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Leban
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Martians had the right idea: canals. Or should that have been "have?"

Multi-year droughts aren't that uncommon and I guess they've begun counting this one at 2010. How about four or six years of this? City of Austin has the stage three watering restrictions sort of buried on their site. Hose only once a week. I really don't want to think where Austin would be without, hmm, was it Hermine last September? We got over a foot of rain at the house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We went through a 10 year drought that ended 2 winters ago. However, the Summer Monsoon Season has been pretty bad and AZ is starting to creep back towards a full blown drought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about the rest of the state but we're at Stage 2 (about to be Stage 3) in San Antonio.

In Stage 2 you can use a sprinkler or irrigation system once a week on your designated day (based on the last digit of your address) between 8 and 10 pm and sometime in the morning (note that this is also the only time you can wash your car... something my neighbor violates all the time). Watering by hand and drip irrigation (my father-in-law thinks a soaker hose is drip irrigation shake) are allowed at any time on any day.

Stage 3 changes to allowing spriklers and irrigation systems once every other week. Hand watering is still allowed anytime on any day.

Stage 4 prohibits all sprinkler or irrigation system use and allows hand watering only on your day of the week between 8 and 10pm (and in the morning during the times allowed).

Stage 5 prohibits all landscape water use. I hope I never see this in my lifetime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb

It's terrible. Everything is dying. The live Christmas tree we planted last year has been scalded into twigs by the sun. Our garden was pounded into dust.

And the worst is that the experts think that nothing is going to improve for at least a year, and that next summer will be just as bad as this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.