Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
The outstanding CWEx playtest group has been keeping busy!

“Never Call Retreat” 1865 (page 14)

The current rule allows a clever Confederate player to launch a nonsensical kamikaze invasion of the North during the Fall 1864 turn in order to stymie Abraham Lincoln. A late invasion of the North is certainly justified within the historical narrative; sending a single army unit on a suicide mission would probably get the Rebel commander the same tragic result Hood experienced at Nashville.

A change to the rule will require the Confederates to contest Washington DC -or- control at least one of the other strategic areas in the North (St. Louis, Cincinnati, Shenandoah Valley) in order to deprive Lincoln of his last gamble during the Spring 1865 turn.

Victory Points (page 13)

Drop the optional rule which awarded the CSA player a victory point if Union public opinion is lower than Confederate public opinion. This rule added too much dirt to the process, so we’ll just stick with territorial objectives for VP scoring.

Thanks again for your help with the development of this great little game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
pete belli wrote:
“Never Call Retreat” 1865 (page 14)

A change to the rule will require the Confederates to contest Washington DC -or- control at least one of the other strategic areas in the North (St. Louis, Cincinnati, Shenandoah Valley) in order to deprive Lincoln of his last gamble during the Spring 1865 turn.

I really like this rule. It would have changed up the game I played last evening, though the South would still have won. My task for tonight: win as the Union. (I've been having a bad time as them, but I've got some ideas why.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Extra rules question that came up. If Richmond is out of supply, can they still do the Attrition option and only lose one unit if ordered to retreat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. Let me think about it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Freitag wrote:
Extra rules question that came up. If Richmond is out of supply, can they still do the Attrition option and only lose one unit if ordered to retreat?

The answer is no but here are a few things to remember:

CSA units can draw supply from contested ports in the south. Therefore, the Union player would need to control Norfolk and Wilmington plus completely isolate Richmond from the rest of the southern ports to put the Rebel capital out of supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They had done this, this was the end of the game, and the Union had driven south, and marched down the coast to take several ports. Richmond was isolated, and contested, but knowing the attrition rule he decided to not attack the city as it was too strong, but contesting it limited the points the south would gain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.