Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike M.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for a little direction and any help would be appreciated. Let me start by presenting what I have had no luck with. Axis & Allies is good but drags on (and on and on), especially the end game. Memoir '44 has too much randomness for me.

I would like a good war game. Number of players doesn't matter. I was looking at Battles of Westeros or Dust. I would like to stay away from a game that is overly complex and long. Memoir '44 has good complexity. So somewhere around that is good.

Any direction would be great.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
14,100+ Profile Views and counting!
badge
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moldie wrote:
I am looking for a little direction and any help would be appreciated. Let me start by presenting what I have had no luck with. Axis & Allies is good but drags on (and on and on), especially the end game. Memoir '44 has too much randomness for me.

I would like a good war game. Number of players doesn't matter. I was looking at Battles of Westeros or Dust. I would like to stay away from a game that is overly complex and long. Memoir '44 has good complexity. So somewhere around that is good.

Any direction would be great.

Thanks.

To help us all help you some more, Mike, could you please elaborate a little more on what style of game you are looking for?

Would you prefer a boardgame that comes with all you need? Maybe a boardgame that has optional expansions to breath new life into it? Have you considered CMGs (collectible miniature games) or perhaps tabletop games?

Are you looking for something military themed or more focussed on how well the mechanics work?

I'm sure we'll be able to point you in the right direction

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Goudeau
United States
Moody
Alabama
flag msg tools
Laissez les bons temps rouler
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the two you mentioned - I'll agree with Pete Dust was a was good campy fun.

Around the same level of complexity of Memoir '44 is Hold the Line You have more control of the units. In this series I most prefer Commands & Colors: Ancients In it the left/center/right maneuvering restrictions makes sense.

Tactical WWII - a little more complex - I've enjoyed Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42 most of the scenarios are pretty short.

Britannia is a strategic multiplayer - (ok you have to have 4 players) a different take on the sweep of history type game.

Is there any particular era where you are interested?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Rick: I am not looking into any particular era. The Axis & Allies motif is good but I am not married to it.

@Mark: I would prefer an all-in-one game but am not opposed to a small amount of expansion. Overall I am looking for a solid war-game that plays in 1 - 2 hours but still has enough depth to require good tactics and not luck.

@Pete: Thanks for the recommendation.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
War on Terror, Ikusa, Risk 2210 A.D., and Cosmic Encounter are all closer to AXIS AND ALLIES in terms of complexity, but so is DUST, so if you're trying that, you should look into those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.