Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is available in a math trade and I am trying to see if it would fit my tastes.

I read the rules completely, and it seems somewhat interesting. The biggest issues I can see so far is the length of the game, but apparently the game can be speed up by not playing the whole game. Some variants seems to be able to speed up the game.

The second problem I can see is that it seems to recreate an historical simulation. Even if the civ that are going to enter in play will be different from a game to another, there seems to be a touch of war game simulator to the game. The tons of chits also makes it looks like a war game.

I fist thought of making custom modular map, to realized that civilization has probably predefined starting spot which is relative to their victory conditions.

So I was wondering if the game was good to playing shorter games, because there is no way I can play a 15 hour game? 4 Hours is the great maximum.

Does the game really feels like a war game simulator where the history somewhat always repeat itself or is each game always very different and unique?

Thank you for any information

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the game a lot, but I think it works best playing the full seven ages. Playing a shortened game is more like just a warm-up for the real thing. Great for learning the rules, but it leaves too much to luck-of-the-draw on getting the right empires.

As far as history always repeating itself, I would say definitely no. There are so many empires in the game and only a small subset are used in any one game, that it varies greatly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
So I was wondering if the game was good to playing shorter games, because there is no way I can play a 15 hour game? 4 Hours is the great maximum.

I've only played the game once, and I think the session was about 5 or 6 hours. We decided not to play all the ages to shorten the game, and IIRC the gameplay didn't suffer from that decision. Given that we had many new palyers, I don't the game is completely unrealistic for your 4 hour time frame, though it may be borderline too long.
larienna wrote:
Does the game really feels like a war game simulator where the history somewhat always repeat itself or is each game always very different and unique?

As stated above I have only played one game, but remember that the cards with the "good" civilization also have good actions and points on them, so there is absolutely no guarantee that the same civilizations will come into paly every game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Chris that the full and long game is glorious - but 7 Ages does work well with a preset time limit, too.

Every game I've played has played very differently. For starters, they can begin at different times - could be the game starts in the 3rd or 4th era say, doesn't have to start in the 1st. And with the distribution of cards, and players' strategies, no particular empire is guaranteed to come into play, so definitely room for some very different alternate histories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if empires had specific stating location on the map which would made it impossible to use another map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
I was wondering if empires had specific stating location on the map which would made it impossible to use another map?

Most empires have one specific area where they must start; some have a choice among several areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeljko
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice for quick game is to set in advance how long do you want to play. Whoever has the most points at the end of the game, he is the winner.

Or limited number of turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.