Subject: Card size, card count - sleeves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there's no info on this yet, but wondering how many cards were in Dune, and if the cards will be the same size as TI or larger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirjonsnow wrote:
I know there's no info on this yet, but wondering how many cards were in Dune, and if the cards will be the same size as TI or larger.

All the cards in Dune are Mini-sized, ala Arkham items / BSG skill / TI Actions/Objectives. They don't have much need of descriptive text, IIRC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well...I gotta disagree with Zach. Avalon Hill included a "player aid pad" that gave descriptions and rules for all the Treachery cards, in painfully small text. This was the '70s; boardgame designers had a lot to learn about how to make boardgame components ease the process of playing the actual game. The Dune Treachery cards are 90% decorative and 10% informative, and nearly half of them are not obvious by the title.

There are several redesigned Dune decks on BGG, mostly the size of poker cards. At least one of them puts the rules for the Treachery cards on the actual card. This really helps.

Also, fans have created decks that weren't in the original game:

1) Traitor deck, used to assign secret traitors at the start of the game rather than the very clunky original method.

2) Bene Gesserit prediction deck to replace having to write that down on the silly player aid pad.

3) Attack 0-20 deck to replace the wheel (which is all too easy to shift inadvertantly when you're turning it over).

4) Leader cards to replace the discs.

I would expect that FFG will do something similar with Rex, meaning it will have a lot more cards than Dune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:

1) Traitor deck, used to assign secret traitors at the start of the game rather than the very clunky original method.

2) Bene Gesserit prediction deck to replace having to write that down on the silly player aid pad.

3) Attack 0-20 deck to replace the wheel (which is all too easy to shift inadvertantly when you're turning it over).

4) Leader cards to replace the discs.

I would expect that FFG will do something similar with Rex, meaning it will have a lot more cards than Dune.

1 +36
2 +20 (I'm assuming 5 opponent cards + 15 round cards to be combined rather than 75 covering every combination on individual cards)
3 +42 for two decks
4 +36

That's 134 cards to replace 36 cardboard tokens, two cardboard wheels, and writing things down on paper. So, essentially one punch sheet and something that can be done for free versus the expense of 134 cards. Even small cards would raise the material cost, thus causing an MSRP increase of what, $5-$10? While some of these would be nice, it wouldn't be worth the extra cost or the loss of the "feel" of the wheels within wheels system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another note: All those cards can be managed easily with FFG small sized cards. SO I can't see there being any large size cards except maybe starting cards ala game of thrones.

they can still do a traitor deck which just has portraits.

I can't see them getting rid of the wheels. For one, its the main thing the game seems to have, and FFG also has been falling in love with their dials.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilya Baranovsky
Russia
Novosibirsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Just trying to guess/predict :

1) Traitor deck - 30 cards, not 36 because Main leaders can never turn traitors.
2) for BG prediction most likely it will be ~12 chits, not cards (it can be also "prediction wheel").
3) most likely they will go with Battle Wheels, not cards.
4) Leaders will be as disks, also no cards.
5) Treachery deck - about 30+ cards.
6) Sol bombardment (Storm Movement in Dune) - in Dune it can be 6 chits or 12 cards.
7) some kind of Resource(?) deck which is Spice deck in Dune - Dune has 21 card.
8) possibly Alliance cards - 30 cards

It's about 90 cards in total (120 if with Alliance cards)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.