Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alpha 3 is now posted. The Official Rules Clarifications still apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Corbett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you guys foresee much change to Alpha3 or is it nearly final version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Larson
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Grayle84 wrote:

I need to play this out a few times. I was expecting a change to the IT setup. Splitting up the transports to three groups was not the change I was expecting, but let's see if the IT can make it work.

The Russia/Japan changes are a lot. I need to pull out the maps and take a look.

Some new national objectives, nice. Needed, I'm not sure, but nice changes.

Do AA guns now fire differently? I need to re-read that section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grayle84 wrote:

It's hard to say at this point, but we hope it's close.

Engineer Dad wrote:
Do AA guns now fire differently?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Paulo Vilas Boas
Brazil
Palmas
Tocantins
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having seen all the enormous work Krieghund and Larry Harris are putting into the alphas 1, 2, 3 and (who knows how many more?) in order to fix and balance the rules of AA Global 1940, I wonder: what if WOTC had allowed enought playtesting time BEFORE actually announcing and selling the game? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Larson
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
josafata wrote:
Having seen all the enormous work Krieghund and Larry Harris are putting into the alphas 1, 2, 3 and (who knows how many more?) in order to fix and balance the rules of AA Global 1940, I wonder: what if WOTC had allowed enought playtesting time BEFORE actually announcing and selling the game? shake

Well, that's an easy no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Reece
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
Grayle84 wrote:

I dont think so, I have some doubts about the balance of the game now. I need to play it some first but I fear this doesnt help the axis out at all. And the game was already in favor of the allies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EdFactor wrote:
Grayle84 wrote:

I dont think so, I have some doubts about the balance of the game now. I need to play it some first but I fear this doesnt help the axis out at all. And the game was already in favor of the allies.

I second this... (and what do you mean doubting the balance 'now'? Hasn't the balance always been in question? ) The Axis have it even worse it seems. I thought this was going to try and balance it? But in all fairness yeah, will wait for a couple test runs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, looking at the changes, it seems as if nothing has been done to help the axis, except making the Italian navy slightly better. However, since they have also made Sealion practically impossible and given France an anti-aircraft gun, it seems as though it might even make it slightly harder for the axis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Engbjerg
Denmark
Middelfart
fün
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in the setup it says that in northen italy, there is 1 Strategic Bomber???
is that a tac bomber ore a Bomber???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Viracocha wrote:
EdFactor wrote:
Grayle84 wrote:

I second this... (and what do you mean doubting the balance 'now'? Hasn't the balance always been in question? ) The Axis have it even worse it seems. I thought this was going to try and balance it? But in all fairness yeah, will wait for a couple test runs.

Thirded! I'm in the midst of an Alpha+2 game as the Axis, and I can tell you, the Axis have a tough enough road to hoe as it is - it doesn't need to get any tougher!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah Jordan, I've checked out A3 - sealion has been pooched, don't even think about it. Even if you could pull it off - London is no longer a victory condition in Alpha 3 (which in itself is unbelievable), and it would leave an open road for USSR into Berlin. But perhaps there are other balancing elements that I don't realize yet... let's hope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
F_engbjerg wrote:

Was wondering that myself... I'm assuming its a tac, but I don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin - I'm assuming that you guys playtesting these rulesets have recorded wins and losses for the Axis and the Allies. What was the split between Axis victories and Allied victories in your plays of Alpha+2?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Viracocha wrote:
F_engbjerg wrote:

Was wondering that myself... I'm assuming its a tac, but I don't know.

LH @ Harrisgamedesign wrote:
Italy
Northern Italy: 2 Infantry, 2 Artillery, 1 tank, 1 Fighter, 1 Strategic Bomber, 2 AA Guns, 1 Major IC

Note that "Strategic" is also written in red at HGD.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
F_engbjerg wrote:

It's a strategic bomber.

desertfox2004 wrote:
Kevin - I'm assuming that you guys playtesting these rulesets have recorded wins and losses for the Axis and the Allies. What was the split between Axis victories and Allied victories in your plays of Alpha+2?

I haven't been playtesting the Global game. I've been working with the individual games, which seem pretty well balanced under Alpha 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin, if Alpha 3 - or any of the Alphas for that matter (whatever it takes... I'm still a dedicated A&A fan at the end of the day) is ever proven to be 'thee one', will it see a rulebook reprint for global rules? Or perhaps even a manual put together for a download?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the plan, at least for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
That's the plan, at least for now.

Sweeeeet. Good to hear. Now, only the test of time will let us know if this Alpha is the thee Alpha... (though again, I really don't like that Sealion got pooched soblue )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Corbett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this has been talked about elsewhere but are the Japanese set up controlled Chinese territory considered "Japan original" controlled for Major industrial complexes purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grayle84 wrote:
I know this has been talked about elsewhere but are the Japanese set up controlled Chinese territory considered "Japan original" controlled for Major industrial complexes purposes.

No, they are not. They are considered Japanese-occupied. The only "Japan original" territory where a major IC can be constructed is Korea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Corbett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks I couldn't remember for sure. I knew they wanted Japan to feel supply limitations. Getting familiar with the Alpha 3 rules. I hope to get a play soon!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
There has been a major change to how AA-guns work. Now they can be taken as casualties in combat, but they don't contribute any combat value after the AA fire step.

I wonder what made them make such a significant change to how AA-guns work at this point.

I guess the motivation was to make them better represent defensive strongpoints?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More news. From a post on HarrisGameDesign:

Larry Harris wrote:
This effort is going to move reasonably quickly from here on out. I fully expect things to wrap up within the next 6 weeks if not sooner. At that point Alpha +3 will be turned over to Wizards and these rules will become the law of the land.

Feedback from you and others are more than desired for this to happen. Speculation about this or that theory has its place but what I really need is accurate and meaningful observational data from as many players as possible. Data that comes from actually playing the game in most cases.

If I sense individual agendas are being pushed or slanted to put certain positive spins on them I will outright reject the statements, and the contributor will lose my ear. If you want to help make this the best game it can be... give me good accurate information. If you want to stand on the side lines and push impossible pet projects or simply snipe at this entire effort know that I don't have time to waste and won't.

As changes to the original document are made, Alpha +3 (found on page one of this thread), will be updated. The updates will be color coded for your convenience. In this way you will constantly know exactly where the game stands on any given day.

Let me take this opportunity to not only thank those of you who have contributed to this effort but to also say how impressed I have been with many contributions made on these pages. There have been some really big ideas and some really small ideas and many that just kind of fit there in the middle... all of them have had an impact on what this game has become. Many of you have been right here day after day for over a year now. Some of you have just tuned in... All of you have made a difference.

Most importantly I hope you all have had fun participating in this experiment. It has been great getting to know many of you. This is the home stretch. Let's bring it in for a landing.
LH

If you wish to provide feedback, I suggest that you do it sooner rather than later!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
More news. From a post on HarrisGameDesign:

[q="Larry Harris"]This effort is going to move reasonably quickly from here on out. I fully expect things to wrap up within the next 6 weeks if not sooner. At that point Alpha +3 will be turned over to Wizards and these rules will become the law of the land.

Feedback from you and others are more than desired for this to happen. Speculation about this or that theory has its place but what I really need is accurate and meaningful observational data from as many players as possible. Data that comes from actually playing the game in most cases.

If I sense individual agendas are being pushed or slanted to put certain positive spins on them I will outright reject the statements, and the contributor will lose my ear. If you want to help make this the best game it can be... give me good accurate information. If you want to stand on the side lines and push impossible pet projects or simply snipe at this entire effort know that I don't have time to waste and won't.

As changes to the original document are made, Alpha +3 (found on page one of this thread), will be updated. The updates will be color coded for your convenience. In this way you will constantly know exactly where the game stands on any given day.

Let me take this opportunity to not only thank those of you who have contributed to this effort but to also say how impressed I have been with many contributions made on these pages. There have been some really big ideas and some really small ideas and many that just kind of fit there in the middle... all of them have had an impact on what this game has become. Many of you have been right here day after day for over a year now. Some of you have just tuned in... All of you have made a difference.

Most importantly I hope you all have had fun participating in this experiment. It has been great getting to know many of you. This is the home stretch. Let's bring it in for a landing.
LH

I was excited to read that we'll finally have 'laws of the land' /an official rulebook! Thanks for the update and your hard work Kevin, you're a damn good wardog devil .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.