Varg Bid» Forums » Variants

Subject: Some ideas for scoring variants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bjorn Jensen
China
flag msg tools
mb
So far, I've only played with 2 players using the normal rules. I really want to try it with more players since an auction game doesn't really work with only two in my opinion. Below are some ideas to alter how the scoring works and encourage more varied strategy among the players. These are not tested but I would like to throw these out so people can try them out.

Bonus for shared suits among won cards.
Count number of suit symbols; you get a bonus to your score for the suit you have the most of. For example, if you have the Crown of Wyrms and the 5 of Wyrms and Knots, you have 2 wyrm symbols and therefore a bonus. I'm not quite sure how to scale this, but this will make some lower ranked cards more valuable to certain players,depending on what suits they already have.
Maybe something like this:
2 of a suit = 2 points
3 of a suit = 4 points
4 of a suit = 8 points

Values for Pawns and Courts
They have a set value of 10, but since they have 3 suits on the card, they are attractive choices to gain a higher bonus.

Change auction value for Aces?
Maybe the auction value of Aces would need to be increased given the other scoring changes.

When I can get 3 or more players together, I'm going to test some of these scoring changes and see how it goes. If you try it out, please post your impressions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Decktet Book, Varg Bid is listed as a game for 3-4 players. As you say, it falls a bit flat with two. I notice that the version on the Wiki still says 2-5... must fix that.

The bonus for suits could be interesting. I think there's definitely room to add dimensions to the scoring system.

Coincidentally, I just played a game of Varg Bid last night with two players who hadn't played before. We played with this variant rule: A player with two [or more] cards left over after everyone else has played all of theirs may only start one auction. This stops the strategy of just holding on to all of your cards, because you can buy at most one of them if everyone else runs out of cards. The other players enjoyed the game.

EDIT: To add 'or more'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjorn Jensen
China
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
A player with more than two cards left over after everyone else has played all of theirs may only start one auction.

This is what you meant, right? A player with two cards has only a enough for one auction anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorrynametaken wrote:
Quote:
A player with more than two cards left over after everyone else has played all of theirs may only start one auction.

This is what you meant, right? A player with two cards has only a enough for one auction anyway.

Yes, thanks.

A player with one card left over starts an auction but won't take the card. A player with two or more cards starts one auction, wins it, and discards any remaining cards. So the wait-and-see strategy can get you 11 points (if you have an Ace among your leftover cards) but no more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.