14 Posts

Dominion» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Alchemist Stradegy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mail Mi
msg tools
Turns 1 and 2
Buy a potion and a silver (or potion and 2 cost action card that gives at least + 1 action)
Turns 3 or 4
Buy another potion and an alchemist (or different, as the case may be)
Rest of your turns:
Play alchemist, hopefully draw a potion (or already have one in hand) and play your money, buy alchemists until they are gone, put all alchemists on top of your deck.
Boom. Guaranteed province almost every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph DiMuro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, you just placed five Alchemists back on top of your deck? Great!

Too bad I just played a Minion, and you have to discard all five of them. Tough luck. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TrojH wrote:
So, you just placed five Alchemists back on top of your deck? Great!

Too bad I just played a Minion, and you have to discard all five of them. Tough luck. ninja

Pretty much sums it up. The alchemist strategy, like all strategies is good only when there isn't something better available and being used by an opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt feldman
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what if your opponent knows about this super-secret strategy?

mailmi wrote:
Turns 1 and 2
Buy a potion and a silver (or potion and 2 cost action card that gives at least + 1 action)
Turns 3 or 4
Rest of your turns:
Play alchemist, hopefully draw a potion (or already have one in hand) and play your money, buy alchemists until they are gone, put all alchemists on top of your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chamberlain
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
also, with no bonus buys, if you really do nothing buy buy alchemists for the next 8 turns, a good number of the provinces will already be gone before you get around to buying any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
"Alchemist strategy: Buy the card that is needed to buy and use Alchemist, then buy lots of Alchemists." Sheer brilliance.

It's a little off-topic, but I would also like to share with the world my possibly even more brilliant "Gold Stradegy": buy cards that will give you the money needed to afford Gold, then buy Gold.

For more advanced players, there's the "Province Strasgerdie": Buy cards that will help you afford Provinces, then buy Provinces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In the interest of offering some constructive feedback:

It does of course depend on the tableau, but I find that Alchemist really needs a second buy to be worthwhile...otherwise other strategies can often outrun it. although almost any +buy will work, Herbalist is ideal, as you can put your potion right back on the deck, ready to be drawn again next turn.

As already briefly mentioned, discard attacks are one potential enemy of alchemists, as are any cards which cause you to discard from the top of your deck if you have >5 alchemists (e.g. Tribute, Sea Had, Spy, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
mailmi wrote:
Turns 1 and 2
Turns 3 or 4
Rest of your turns:

Copper, Copper, Potion, Estate, Estate

gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite strategy is to buy only curses.

(ok not really. but every once in a while in the right situation *ambassador* you can cause some damage)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brandt
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I'm an old friend of Xanderrrr's
badge
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - S5E20
mbmbmbmbmb
ooh, ooh, I have one!

Province Strategy
-Early Turns:
Buy Treasure and Action cards that will help you get to $8 consistently
-Turns with $8:
Buy Province
-Win

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
The Never-Lose-Stradegy:

Don't. Play. The. Game. At. All.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Goldthorpe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:

Unfortunately if you buy all the alchemists, it's going to be about turn 14 before you buy any provinces. An opponent playing purely with money can beat you like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miika Toukola
Finland
flag msg tools
For argument's sake, could someone somehow calculate approximately how long it would take to get to five Provinces on average with this strategy? That is bying some Potions and focusing on getting five Alchemists in hand, and then buying Provinces; assuming no interference from other players.
Now that I write it out, it does seem quite complex to get working on top of being vulnerable to so many different attacks. But if anyone can do some simulations easily, it still might be interesting :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.