Subject: Giants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
your giants question is interesting. i've never had that situation come up in a game, but i'm curious to see what the ruling is. i imagine that since the giants are no longer considered "available," you wouldn't reshuffle the deck and the fight giants action (and loki's ability) would no longer be available.

with regard to the weapons, if you do not have any weapons, you may claim any level 1 weapon. on subsequent dwarven forge actions, you may upgrade an existing weapon by one level by replacing the card with the card that is one level higher, or you may claim another level 1 weapon. you may only have one of each kind of weapon, but may have multiple weapons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
we had this situation once I think, we didn't reshuffle the deck, the option wasn't open anymore. I also think that when this happens it will be at the end of the game so you won't be out of that option for long.

As for the dwarven weapons you choose as long as you keep to the rules stated by Thomas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
we had this situation once I think, we didn't reshuffle the deck, the option wasn't open anymore. I also think that when this happens it will be at the end of the game so you won't be out of that option for long.

As for the dwarven weapons you choose as long as you keep to the rules stated by Thomas.

We've had this happen many times. We keep the runes and laugh at Loki whenever he moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
louper wrote:
Thanks for the answers; sounds like we played it correctly.

Interesting that it sounds like defeating all the giants doesn't come up too frequently, yet we did it in our first game. However, we lost the game, so we probably focused too much on fighting giants and not enough on fighting the main enemies.

In any event, thanks again.

As much as I can barely imagine you defeating all of the giants, it's even harder to imagine you doing that and still losing the game. Unless it means that you let Loki get way up top (in order to actually flip out all those giants - I'm assuming you weren't (in general at least) fighting them off the top of the deck, because that's kind of a waste of effort most of the time) and he barged into Odin's house and you rolled poorly/didn't have the right weapon in position to get rid of him...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
louper wrote:
We fought most of the giants from the top of the deck. Each giant has a power of 3, and we did NOT apply bonuses from any weapons. I was Thor, although most of the time I forgot to apply my + 1 bonus. If we had a number of axes + Vikings (pre-roll) + Elves (post-roll) greater than or equal to 3, we defeated the giant and moved it to the side of the board.

Yeah, I think that's generally a mistake (my opinion, anyway). The only time it makes sense to me to fight giants off the top of the deck is if you're close to completing a rune and don't have the Vonnir track high enough to just search for the one you need (although I guess I wouldn't even bother search if there were only a few giants left in the deck... it would take less actions to just kill them off the deck).

You don't have to fight something. If you don't have enough strength to fight an enemy, you can spend your actions to get better at fighting enemies instead of using up Vikings on the unrevealed Frost Giants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree with this. The runes are VERY powerful, and many of the giants have annoying effects. If you are playing Thor, you should be attacking the giant deck as often as possible. If Thor is not being played, then you should still attack the giants when the opportunity arrises.

Edit: Frey's extra action is also good for attacking giants. Having a 2-player game with Frey and Thor should result in a lot of dead giants that never got turned over.

arkayn wrote:
louper wrote:
We fought most of the giants from the top of the deck. Each giant has a power of 3, and we did NOT apply bonuses from any weapons. I was Thor, although most of the time I forgot to apply my + 1 bonus. If we had a number of axes + Vikings (pre-roll) + Elves (post-roll) greater than or equal to 3, we defeated the giant and moved it to the side of the board.

Yeah, I think that's generally a mistake (my opinion, anyway). The only time it makes sense to me to fight giants off the top of the deck is if you're close to completing a rune and don't have the Vonnir track high enough to just search for the one you need (although I guess I wouldn't even bother search if there were only a few giants left in the deck... it would take less actions to just kill them off the deck).

You don't have to fight something. If you don't have enough strength to fight an enemy, you can spend your actions to get better at fighting enemies instead of using up Vikings on the unrevealed Frost Giants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:
I disagree with this. The runes are VERY powerful, and many of the giants have annoying effects. If you are playing Thor, you should be attacking the giant deck as often as possible. If Thor is not being played, then you should still attack the giants when the opportunity arrises.

Really? Instead of pushing back the enemies that make you lose? That doesn't really make any sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
tssfulk wrote:

Really? Instead of pushing back the enemies that make you lose? That doesn't really make any sense to me.

You still get 1 attack against the big bad guys. Plus, the giants have a negative and a positive power. Getting the whirlpool giant, Utgårdloki?, and then drawing Jordmundgund and rolling white is a PITA. Killing Utgårdloki before that happens makes me smile.

There are many strategies to play this game. I think killing giants is a fun, thematic and powerful strategy. I've rarely won a game in which we hadn't claimed at least 3 runes. Completing 4 usually means the game will be won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:

We've had this happen many times. We keep the runes and laugh at Loki whenever he moves.

Great move
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Killing all the frost giants is practically mandatory on the highest difficulties. It's not necessarily the most reliable option on lower difficulties, though.

Choosing when to attack the frost giants is tricky, because it's important to attack the enemies early, when they are weaker. I generally prioritize the enemies, but will attack a face-down frost giant if I can do so without breaking my rhythm. That's especially likely with Thor and Frey, since they are the most "efficient" gods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor McDowall
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it once (two-player) so I might be going out on a limb here but I think that keeping Loki pinned to the left is a far better strategy. Then when giants are conjured at least it's just one at a time and they're easily slain. If the giant cards are well shuffled (probably weren't in Todds game) it could take a while to get a rune. All that time you could be moving the Vanir (for emergency use mainly), and battling the big 6 enemies (especially those that get more powerful as they progress).

What you're doing wrong, Todd, is using weapons/ Axes against Giants. Weapons are only for use against the enemy written on the card.

As for not relying on the die-roll, this is what the elves are for! If you fight a giant and you have an elf, you need only commit two vikings since your die-roll will probably supply another. If not, oh well, you lose an elf, big deal. You can save lots of vikings this way. And elves are easier to come by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.