Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Kingsley
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a little confused on how to interpret the Monk's ability "Flurry of Blows", specifically when dealing with an attack with minions of multiple types.

Does the extra hit gained from "Flurry of Blows" need to reside exclusively with the minion type corresponding to the color die rolled, or may the extra hit be applied to any minion involved in the attack?

This becomes particularly confusing to me when dealing with Dragonkin. I think this question may best be addressed through the examination of some scenarios:

1) 2 Green and 1 Red Minion

Dice Results:
Green___6
Green___1
Red_____4

(I believe I understand this scenario but just want to make sure)
One green and one red minion would be eliminated like normal. Since a 6 was rolled on a green die, an extra hit may be applied to the last remaining green minion which would be eliminated.

2) 2 Green and 1 Red Minion

Dice Results:
Green___4
Green___1
Red_____6

One green and one red minion would be eliminated. However since a 6 was rolled on the red die, may the extra hit be used to eliminate the last remaining green minion?

3) 2 Blue Minions

Die Results:
Blue____6
Blue____2

(I believe I understand this scenario but just want to make sure)
One blue minion would be eliminated (assuming blue minions are Dragonkin). Flurry of Blows does not trigger with Dragonkin so no additional hits may be applied and one blue minion would survive the attack.

4) 2 Blue and 1 Black Minion

Die Results:
Blue____6
Blue____2
Black___1

One blue minon would be eliminated (assuming blue minions are Dragonkin). Would Flurry of Blows also not trigger in this situation since the die was blue thus preventing any additional hits to being applied to the black minion?

5) 2 Blue and 1 Black Minion

Die Results:
Blue____5
Blue____2
Black___6

One blue and one black minion would be eliminated. Flurry of Blows would trigger from the 6 on the black die. May the extra hit from this result be used to eliminate the last remaining blue (Dragonkin) minion?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donato
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group let's you use the extra wound against any Minion on that location, as otherwise - like your examples above show - it becomes too confusing.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

The extra hit landed by the Monk can be applied to any minion on the space - it does not need to be the same color minion as the Die rolled.

I always picture her doing some acrobatic leap and tagging 2 minions with her staff then landing dramatically to survey the damage she did in the battle.

Thanks - Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kingsley
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Richard and Donato! That makes a lot more sense. That answers all my scenario questions except for one. The note on the card that says "Against Dragonkin Minions ... a 6 counts as only 1 hit".

How does this affect the resolution of scenario 5 I posted above?

Maybe I am just over analyzing this ability... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I would personally play it that the 6 black could be used against the blue minion not slayed resulting in 3 minions destroyed.

I read the rule this way: If you roll a natural 6 using a blue die then the Dragonkin is slayed but you don't get a 2nd blow to use against any general. Any other natural 6 can be used as the 2nd blow against any general including blue.

Hopefully Richard will chime in to clarify but that is what makes sense to me.

Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

The Dragonkin are the one exception to the rule as they have tough armor-like skin. A 6 on a Blue die that slays a Dragonkin would not slay a second Dragonkin. A 6 on any other color die on a location with mixed minions (as you have above in example 5) slays a normal Minion and would also slay 1 Dragonkin at that location. I like to spot the hero the advantage, especially when this situation will seldom occur.

Thanks - Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kingsley
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crystal clear now.

Thanks Bob and Richard!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this question and answers. We had the same question while playing our game last night and this clears it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kingsley
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mkrajew wrote:
Thanks for posting this question and answers. We had the same question while playing our game last night and this clears it up.

Glad you found it useful. Sometimes its nice to know you are not alone with some of these questions. Good luck defending the realm!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.