Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading the rulebook in anticipation, I came across this detail on page 12:

When a Locust has to attack the closest figure, if there are two figures that are equally close, the COGs get to choose who's attacked. So, naturally, the COG in cover is the one who gets attacked.

Any huge problems with the AI targeting figures who aren't in cover first? They can still preferentially target the closest COGs - but for goodness's sake, target the COGs out of cover first! This may make it more difficult in higher player count games. This would also probably make the Follow action less effective - possibly allow COGs to stop following rather than forcing them to end up in the active player's final area.

I am willing to hear any wonderful thematic justifications why the Locusts should target COGs in cover first but I do think it'd be pretty rocking for COGs to exit cover to distract the vile Locusts from attacking a wounded COG.

Yes, this makes it more difficult for the COGs, but bring the pain. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lawton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's because they assume that their fellow locusts further away will be specifically targeting the COG's out of cover as they are the only COG's they can see so therefore any closer locust are going for the ones they can still hit but are harder to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-M
msg tools
Gears don't need to not be in cover to get attention, they just have to be more noticeable.

"Covering Fire" makes the Locusts not pay ANY attention to other models but yours. However, there is not a direct mechanic in place to deal with aggro/supressive fire/distractions and the like, which is how I picture this rule playing out. In the cases where you have two gears in the same spot, one in cover and one not, presumably the one in the open is rushing to try to find cover and minimizing himself as a target, while the one already in cover is throwing some lead down range to get the locusts' attention off of his buddy. This is how leapfrogging cover works IRL, so it does make sense in this context too (however you must refer to the player savig you as your "battle-buddy" if this happens).

Also, don't forget that this is not at all a guarenteed action. You can try it, but with the previously mentioned exception of "Covering Fire," holding aggro like this will only work if you are both the same distance away from the enemy and you draw the right AI card. If it says "attacks you" and you're the one caught in the open... BOOM!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.