Eric Gruber
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
My group and I are slowly but surely building up our library of games and are now looking to expand a little further. There usually is about 3 of us, but we would like to have something that can support up to maybe 6.

Currently we play a lot of Agricola and Through the Ages. We love placement games and civilization building type games. We also like card games, but they have to be pretty fun for us to get into.

We've been looking at Twilight Imperium, Stone Age, and Civilization.

We have these games if that helps.

7 Wonders
Agricola
Dominion
Dominion: Intrigue
Pandemic
Power Grid
Settlers of Catan
Settlers of Catan: Cities & Knights
Through the Ages

Thanks for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at Ad Astra, assuming your group has no issues with Sci-Fi themes.

Assuming you don't mind long games then Dominant Species is a very good game that I think you'd also enjoy.

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) is an excellent game but very long, it's also generally accepted that you really need the first expansion (Twilight Imperium (Third Edition): Shattered Empire) to get the best out of it, which will get fairly pricey.

An alternative to TI3 coming out next month is Eclipse, which looks to be very good however you may wish to reserve judgement until it's actually been released! You can read the rulebook right now if you want though.

Another TI3 alternative that I very much enjoy is Galactic Emperor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmie Andersson
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
Uuurrh! I let him in, uuuhh, was that not cool? Arrrarrh...
mbmbmbmbmb
TI3 is very different from the games you've listed, and I have only played it without expansion and it'd not very exciting. Warrior Knights would be a cheaper alternative but not so much building things.

The FFG Sid Meier's Civ is a great game (I rather play that with four, and TTA when you play three players). Also Dominant Species is pretty good.

(I also second the "Stone Age might be too light" comment from Lee, it's a good game, but best with family/non-gamers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll go along with ldsdbomber and recommend Le Havre. It's a very rewarding game which is very easy to teach, but with oodles of strategy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Li
msg tools
mbmb
Heyhey

For co op, I suggest space alert. I don't think it can get better than that it's the only I feel that if the teamwork and strategy was actually correctly implemented, your win rate over the game will be 100%. The randomness of the scenario provides adaptation challenges, not just random dooms.

For strategy: puerto Rico!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like worker placement games, then you should consider Egizia.

If you are interested in auction games, look at Medici. It shines with 6 but can be played with 3.

If you want to combine worker placement and auctions, check out The Speicherstadt.

Since card games are a possibility, Citadels may work and can play 2 and up.

As for RftG, have you considered getting the expansions? Each one adds something new and increases the number of players.

Good luck with your search!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Casarrubios
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium is a great game, but if there are not 6 of you to play it, it's just going to collect dust.

Civilization offers a very similar experience to TI3, but in a much shorter time and for 2-4 players. I'd go for that instead.

You could also try Kingsburg, which has an original worker (dice) placement mechanic and a building tree very dimilar to civilization games's tech trees. It also scales fairly well for 2-5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
I'd look at Glen More, which works well with 2-5 (a 2-3 player game has maybe a bit more luck in it, but effectively has the same feel). Glen More plays pretty easy on the surface, but after a few games you'll discover that there's a lot of both strategic and tactical depth in the game. Positioning within the plateau you're building is also very important.
Also maybe consider Endeavor, which plays 3-5, though it really has a very different (most people say worse, but I personally stress different) feel with 3 than with 4 or 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial and Modern Art for sure. Also The Resistance for when you have 5+. A very deep game that somehow got labeled as a party game. Speaking of party games, get Dixit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you enjoy the worker placement aspect of Agricola, and want a little more interaction, then you should take a look at Caylus. Its got all the competition of being the first player on a spot as well as ways to stop players from getting the benefits of that spot. There is only a shared board that everyone develops on instead of developing a farm on your own board.

If you like having your own board to build on in Agricola, then you might want to take a look at Dungeon Lords. It has simultaneous placement selection instead of rotating turns, but once all the selections are revealed, they are placed one at a time, so you risk being locked out of a spot if you didn't choose a location early enough. You are building your own dungeon board, and twice in the game there is an extra logic puzzle-type mechanic where you defend your dungeon from adventurers trying to destroy it.

Both are great games in the worker placement genre and two of my favorite games overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After finally playing Eminent Domain I think your group will like it. It's play time is similar to RftG and Dominion and has that "I need to play this again right now" quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for Stone Age! Easy, quick game. Civilizasion is a heavier game, but very good, too. You should also look into the following:
Diamonds Club
Finca
Batavia
Thebes
and The Pillars of the Earth

For Dominion I`d recommend you get the Prosperity expansion. That`s my favourite!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools

I'd 2nd the votes for ENDEAVOR, DUNGEON LORDS and KINGSBURG - all are very dynamic with strong player interaction - and suggest At the Gates of Loyang, Colosseum and Cuba, - they also have those qualities, as well as a general building-up of resources and supplies that isn't quite tech advancement but is similar enough to be interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Woodroffe
United Kingdom
Great Chesterford
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glory to Rome is excellent for 2-5 players. Very deep card game with lots of fun interactions. If you have a regular group that know each other well then it will see a lot of plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggestion
Lots of good suggestions here!

Only one I can think of to add is Starfarers of Catan. It's similar enough to settlers that you should enjoy it, and different enough that it doesn't feel like the exact same game in space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Caylus or Goa, if you can find them.

Note that I said Caylus NOT Caylus Magna Carta

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing that you have played Settlers, I`d recommend The Settlers of the Stone Age and Catan Histories: Struggle for Rome. After I played those two versions I never went back to the regular Settlers game. I liked them much better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
Though it is not commonly suggested, GOSU is a close cousin of Race and Glory to Rome. If you enjoy the card-comboing aspect of Race, then Gosu is a nice fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.