Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

How is Sekigahara compared to Hammer of the Scots??

HotS is one of my favorite games, but I am also a fan of Japanese history and Japanese games. i.e. Samurai and Feudal Warfare.
Been looking for another block game, but wanted something a bit more different than HotS.

I looked over some of the rules and such.
How difficult are the battles to comprehend and understand?
Was wondering cause the part with the cavalry seemed a little confusing, but a lot of the other parts seemed simple to understand.

If my bro and I have a few (a lot) of adult beverages laugh
is this still a playable game under such conditions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NICK KOUKOS
Greece
HERAKLION ,CRETE
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same dilemma and got some answers which rather led me to want to buy both...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
sixthecat wrote:

How is Sekigahara compared to Hammer of the Scots??

HotS is one of my favorite games, but I am also a fan of Japanese history and Japanese games. i.e. Samurai and Feudal Warfare.
Been looking for another block game, but wanted something a bit more different than HotS.

I looked over some of the rules and such.
How difficult are the battles to comprehend and understand?
Was wondering cause the part with the cavalry seemed a little confusing, but a lot of the other parts seemed simple to understand.

If my bro and I have a few (a lot) of adult beverages laugh
is this still a playable game under such conditions?

I've never played HoS or Sekigahara yet, but I've lightly perused the HoS rules and have fully read the Sekigahara rules (those which are currently available in PDF, anyhow) and I can't see you having any problem comprehending the Sekigahara battle rules. The battles are really extremely simple when you get to the heart of it:

Every block you 'deploy' during a battle (that is, a block at the battle site who takes part in the fray) requires a matching card in your hand to be played. Some blocks are exceptions to this in being able to deploy with any card.

A block deployed to the battle adds impact (read: damage done to your opponent) based on the number of Mon (clan emblems) on the block with a bonus for each alread-deployed block displaying the same Mon as that just deployed. Thus, blocks of the same clan fight much better in battle than blocks from mixed allegiances.

The cavalry/guns features are not really any more complicated. They deploy and add impact like any regular block in battle (with a single impact and the bonus(es) for previous blocks of that clan). IF the gun/cavalry block is deployed using a card with the special attack marking (two swords on the card), then the deployed gun or cavalry adds additional impact to the battle at the rate of 2 impact points per matching special weapon block already deployed. So, your first cavalry unit played with a special attack card contributes its usual impact of one (or more with clan mates already deployed) plus an additional 2 impact for the gun or cavalry attack. The second deployment of the same type of block using a special attack card would then add its usual impact contribution plus an additional 4 impact for the special attack. 2 for each of the guns or cavalry deployed.

So, you can just break it down to a set hand management and set collection mini-game where you will stand to deal much greater damage to your opponent by having stacks of blocks from the same clan or of a similar special type. While that sounds easy enough, however, the chaos of what cards end up in your hands will make it anything but a perfect science. You're going to be faced with times when you have a stack of 4 or 5 units of one type without a single card to encourage them to march into battle. Also, because of the possibility of a loyalty challenge being played, you might be hesitant to continue deploying blocks of the same type in a battle for fear of being challenged when you've exhausted your cards of that type.

Anyway, you should read through the battle section of the rules. The whole rule book is very well written and quick to get through and only took one read to saturate.

(Caveat: The rules I read are the 'near-complete' ones available, and so some of what I say could not be totally accurate if the final rules have changed much. I'm still trying to find the updated rules hopefully before I finally have the game here which won't be until late September.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franklin-Bihary
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this game is right up there with HotS in terms of excellence. Once you get the mechanics down (about two turns into your first game), you will surely be able to quaff a few and play just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks Justin!! That is a stellar definition of how that battles work.

Makes a lot more sense to me now, from what I read before.

Yeah, Nick...Hammer of the Scots is one great game. With Sekigahara's differences it looks like both are a good investment.

Thanks Paul for the vote of confidence!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too have played a lot of HotS.

While I'd love to offer a comparison, unfortunately my pre-order Sekigahara has yet to arrive ...

Reading all the post on Sekigahara is killing me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Marshall wrote:
I too have played a lot of HotS.

While I'd love to offer a comparison, unfortunately my pre-order Sekigahara has yet to arrive ...

Reading all the post on Sekigahara is killing me!

I hear you!! I preorderd King of Tokyo and they said it would release in August. Did not realize they meant August 31st. D'oh!

But it arrived yesterday, and we had an awesome time.

Hopefully Sekigahara will come to you soon! I'll keep the thumbs crossed. laugh thumbsdownthumbsup

Let us know your opinion once you do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Henning
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HoTS is my favorite game. I have played Sekigahara twice and really liked it. It is easy to learn and plays relatively quickly. It has the tension a good wargame provides as well as interesting decisions that need to be made. Seki has a combat resolution system that is unique. The cards combined with blocks decide the fate of the battle this makes the fog of war very interesting with potential weak large stacks and very strong small stacks making for tense decisions. I am looking forward to playing and owning this one. Highly recommend both as they are definately different enough to thoroughly enjoy both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.