Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Relf
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Halfway through the night I brought out Bang!, we had all played it before but we had just bought the Bang! Dodge City Expansion and were explaining the new rules.

There were 5 players and we shuffled and dealt out the characters and roles, I thought great, I was an Outlaw; one of the easiest role to get in the game. How wrong I was, the sheriff had picked the character that enables you to use any cards as a missed.

Louise, the sheriff had the worst deputy, Simon. He died almost instantly finding out the perils of playing dynamite and it meant that it came down to the fact that we could work out who everyone was due to their actions during the game.

The game continued for about an hour. Louise not taking too much damage before having a 'Beer' and missing all of the shots we threw at her.
Eventually, after a group strike from both the outlaws, we managed to shorten her life and get a few good shots in and after another round of that I managed to kill the sheriff and the outlaws won the game.

We then made sure that we removed that character card from the game to ensure that it didn't happen again, there are some cards that just seem to give you that much more of an advantage than others.

An hour playing one round seemed to take it all out of us, so we swiftly moved on to another game, to keep the flow of the evening going and keep up the morale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Elkins
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The same thing happen to me this past weekend. The sheriff getting that 'any card is a missed' makes that game really drag. I think that it might have put off a couple of new players to an otherwise good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rose
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
another one that seems to be a turn off is if the sheriff draws slab the killer as their character. Having to play two missed cards for everyshot makes the sheriff pretty much inviciple. This doesn't lengthen the game it shortens it considerably but people seem to not like to die right off then sit around and watch everyone else for 20 min's or so especially if they are new to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly, if the Sheriff has a good defensive ability, it can be really hard to kill them. Elena Fuente's ability is pretty easy to deal with, all things considered. She can't hold that many cards. All you have to do is make sure she doesn't have any, with Cat Balous, Panics, and similar cards. Then she can't do much on her own turn, for fear of being overwhelmed, and you have the momentum.

Sheriff El Gringo, on the other hand, is a real pain.

Characters with strong offensive abilities, like Willy the Kid and Slab the Killer, are far from invincible. Indeed, I often find that they are weakened early because the table fears them. It can definitely be an uphill battle for the Outlaws to take them out, as their powerful assaults can be dangerous once they know their enemies.

Overall though, having taught Bang! to more groups than seems reasonable, the most important thing is to know the rules and keep everybody moving. If people lag on their turns, a game that's supposed to be about 30 minutes easily takes an hour or more. With one group, with all of the talking, drinking, getting up, and asking what that card meant again, they managed to drag the game out for two. Whole. Hours. The group in the next room played Once Upon a Time three times while they were waiting. Of course, I was eliminated first. shake

Next time I teach the game though, I call Sheriff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
relfy wrote:
An hour playing one round seemed to take it all out of us, so we swiftly moved on to another game, to keep the flow of the evening going and keep up the morale.

This is why I dont play Bang! any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.