Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ove Ahlman
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought the first Race for the Galaxy expansion. The cards and other stuff added easily fitted in the original game box, and hence put the expansion stuff in the original game box and had to figure out what to do with the expansion box.

What do you do with your expansion boxes?
Ofcourse this is in the case you can fit all components in the original game box (I dont expect anyone to fit all Arkham horror expansions in original game box).
Poll: Expansion Boxes
What happends to expansion boxes, if they are not needed for the space?
What do you do with your expansion boxes?
Throw them away
Store the expansion stuff
Storing them empty
      283 answers
Poll created by Linkor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes I use empty expansion boxes for other games which came with no box or are P&P.
I will throw them away if I ever run out of space though meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Julius
United States
Spicer
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I know I'm going to keep the game (and the expansions), in my gaming circle I'll toss them. If I don't know for sure, then I store them in the down below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep them all, usually storing them empty but I dont like to get rid of them should I ever need to sell the game or games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get rid of them. Mercilessly. I have hard enough time finding space for my collection, storing empty boxes would be just futile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Kaiserslautern
flag msg tools
badge
So this is my new overtext ? Hmmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the box, i guess. If they're not pretty and I'm running out of space, goodbye box. But I could never throw away beautiful boxes like the Starcraft or Tide of Iron expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes I toss them right away - something like Memoir '44 expansions.
Sometimes I throw them away - something like Pegasus expansion (unless close to xmas)
Sometimes I keep onto them to give to one of my PnP friends - like Arkham small box expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Clark
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the example of RftG, I kept two of the three expansion boxes. The core box still has the insert, and holds all of the sleeved cards nicely, but doesn't leave much room for all of the other bits without fiddling with the insert. I tossed all of those, mostly sorted into poly bags, into one of the expansion boxes.

Empty boxes of good quality, such as the RftG boxes, get repurposed to organize and store other stuff around my cave. Everything else gets the axe.

YMMV

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I repurpose them. Most frequently around Christmas -- small, sturdy boxes make wrapping presents so much easier, and I enjoy the moment of confusion when my mother wonders if I've just bought her a Race for the Galaxy expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Needs to be a 'sometimes' option in the poll :shake: But sometimes I keep the xp stuff in the original box; and sometimes I consolidate.

I actually had to put all of my Twilight Imperium 3ed stuff in the expansion boxes because the original box got water damaged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I would actually either toss them or store the expansion. It is all depending to what expansion it is. My collection of Munchkin I haven`t even kept the original box. With Pillars, I keep some of the expansion, especially since there`s an extra board. In Dominion I have kept cards in their boxes, though I would like to gather the cards in a better way, seeing the boxes take up a lot of space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Carlough
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For many games (including Race for the Galxy! Also Carcassone) you can store the whole thing in the EXPANSION box and leave the bigger original box empty. Fitting Carc in a tiny box makes it easier to carry around as our all-purpose back up game in case we finish the main game(s) and aren't ready to go home yet.

We store everything in one box when we can and keep the empty boxes. The only game we have that requires multiple boxes ATM is Arkham Horror and we manage to fit the game, one big expansion and 2 small expansions into the 2 boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a few of my games, I didn't want the base game box condition to get any worse, so I store everything in the expansion box. Talisman 4th edition is an example, where the Dungeon or Highlands or Dragon boxes are still (barely) big enough to hold everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fricke
United States
Covington
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately I can never bring myself to throw any of my game boxes away. Oh, how I wish I could though...but the box is half the game, expansion or not. Yes, I know this is crazy and it's just cardboard. But tell that to my OCD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if i can fit them in the base box, the expo box is gooone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
I compress all of my expansions down into the base game boxes, but I can't bring myself to destroy the empty boxes. I have them all stored away. Why? I just don't know. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Grainger
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to, but I regret doing it for games that are now vintage, like second-edition Talisman, even though everything fits neatly in the main box; not that I want to play it again - just for the collector value.

So now we have a bigger house, I try to keep expansion boxes. (Obviously not if the expansion is just a shrink-wrapped counter sheet or something.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it will decide itself if you keep all the boxes or not, when you have to look at your living space. Because, let`s face it; no matter how big the house, there is a limit for how much you can store. I have even had to sell a few of my games in order to have room for those I want to keep, and I STILL struggle with having enough room for it all. Seeing that I most likely have to move to a smaller appartment when I buy (I am renting appartment right now), makes me shudder! soblue How am I supposed to keep all of my games if I struggle now? That has made it quite easy for me to throw away empty boxes I don`t need, though. So I try to store my games in a way where I can utilize as much of the space I have to work with.

Some "expansions" don`t even come in a box. That helps a lot, because then you can store it in the box with the original game. And I see if I have a choice, I take the game with the smallest box... Like Bohnanza that comes in two sizes (at least here in Norway). The other thing I have started to do is throw away the rule books I don`t need; like when it`s all written in Finnish, Swedish and Norwegian, I only keep the Norwegian rule book. Same with the games where I get German, English, French and Spanish rule books. I only need the rules in one language, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate T.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
nom nom nom
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to keep them but my space is pretty limited, so they usually get tossed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hélio Andrade
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the empty expansion boxes to create a Wall-of-games at the entrance of the Lisbon national boardgame convention, to create an impact when visitors first arrive at the spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming I can fit the game into the original box, which is usually the case, I still keep the expansion box for completeness, but it goes into the very back of the attic (ideally nested inside other empty expansion boxes), as opposed to the closet of actual games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally keep expansion boxes and store them empty, in case I decide to sell or trade them off. In the case of Pandemic: On the Brink, I store the expansion in the expansion box minus the cards. This is because all my Pandemic card decks are kept in the main game box - I have the Warp's custom Pandemic expansions (Threat Level Six; End Day 1; End Day 2; Morbidity), along with all the game cards, and there is not enough room to store the expansion in there as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lard Head
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With few exceptions I almost always keep the expansions in their boxes.

Occasionally for travel/transport, or where a box has been expressly designed to hold the game and expansion(s) I will consolidate, but in the case of transport that is normally temporary and once the need has passed I will return everything to its original box. In the case of the box designed to hold the game and expansion I will try to preserve the unused box as long as it's decent quality. I can only think of one instance where I junked the original box in favor of an expansion box which was designed to contain the original game with expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Phillips
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep them all. I'm pathetic. I like the art and having the original boxes. Especially the RFTG boxes. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
store other stuff in it, i need to keep them in case i trade the games away
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.