Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm travelling to see my brother this week. He's played Memoir '44 and Battlelore, and has expressed interest in war games (he's into Euros and card games). I thought I might bring this, since it's new to me and I want to play it. What do you think, is it a good step up? Also important, which scenario is best to start with - we'd have to try to get it played in 2-3 hours (or stop after that amount of time).

PS - My brother's 42 and very smart, he's just never played a "real" war game.

Thanks,

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Langenfeld
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fatgreta wrote:
I'm travelling to see my brother this week. He's played Memoir '44 and Battlelore, and has expressed interest in war games (he's into Euros and card games). I thought I might bring this, since it's new to me and I want to play it. What do you think, is it a good step up? Also important, which scenario is best to start with - we'd have to try to get it played in 2-3 hours (or stop after that amount of time).

PS - My brother's 42 and very smart, he's just never played a "real" war game.

Thanks,

Chris

Make sure you have the rules down so neither of you have to read them. Nothing kills the enthusiasm of the curious faster than having to break every 90 seconds to reference the rules.

Offer to play the first turn or two with cards face up, then reset the game when your opponent shows some signs of understanding.

As for Scenarios, playing the Soviets in Barbarossa is my usual pick when I'm introducing the game. The Soviets are nearly incapable of mounting a direct threat before winter, and the German player can concentrate more on their objectives than flanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree too. And as I have said in other thread, Battle for Moscow is a great way to get the flow of this game, and how "math attacks" with DRM's work, terrain, and the basics. Sometimes I want to play a game so bad that I overestimate new players and they get a little overwhelmed by the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Langenfeld
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have added that whenever I'm playing a game with a newb, I try to find an unbalanced scenario and play the underdog. That way you can throw real punches without worrying that you'll beat the innocent like a rented mule.

The Barbarossa scenario is unbalanced operationally, but the Germans will have a tough time meeting the victory conditions if the Soviets are competant. The newb generally assumes they will lose, making the victory conditions a non-issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SkunkyBeer wrote:
beat the innocent like a rented mule.

As an aside, my brother once played on an intramural sports team called "The Rented Mules," becuase he heard a hockey announcer say during a fight, "He's beating that guy like a rented mule."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heap Senhouse
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Chris - you are pretty good with rules in these kinds of games, so it should be plausible. Don't forget all of the rules that are turn-specific that are on the turn track...

I'll play this with you any time. Unfortunately it probably doesn't work all that well PBEM.

Great game!

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Senhouse wrote:

Chris - you are pretty good with rules in these kinds of games, so it should be plausible. Don't forget all of the rules that are turn-specific that are on the turn track...

I'll play this with you any time. Unfortunately it probably doesn't work all that well PBEM.

Great game!

Chris

Thanks Amigo. I don't think I'm actually good with many rules of any type, but I appreciate it. I'll make it back to Boston some day soon. I hope my brother will give it a go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.