Michael Cadieux
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ares Games reaches an agreement with Andrea Angiolino e Pier Giorgio Paglia to publish the game "Wings of Glory"

The best selling game of WWI and WWII aerial combat comes back with a
new name

Camaiore, Italy – September 1, 2011 - Ares Games, a Tuscany-based games publisher recently established, announces an agreement with Andrea Angiolino and Pier Giorgio Paglia, the authors of the best selling game that recreates aerial combat during the WWI and WWII, formerly published with the name "Wings of War".
Ares Games will publish the game under a new brand, "Wings of Glory". Wings of Glory will be published with a new rulebook, while maintaining compatibility with the previous Wings of War products already in the market.
"We are happy to be partnering with Andrea and Pier Giorgio to bring this wonderful game system to market." said Christoph Cianci, CEO of Ares Games, "Thousands of fans worldwide will be pleased to know that their planes and maneuver cards from Wings of War will be compatible with the new Wings of Glory."
Initially, Ares Games will focus on developing new miniatures for the game, but also plans to release new starter sets.
"This game has a very strong and loyal fan base around the world, which gave and will surely continue to give a great help to the success of our game with their support and creativity. They have high expectations of it, in spite of several attempts to imitate it with other settings and chrome," stated Andrea Angiolino, co-creator of the game. "We chose to partner with Ares Games because we believe they understand our game, and that they will take care of the wishes of its fans, as well as be respectful of its creators."
The first Wings of Glory products to be released will be four airplanes for the WWII game series: the American P40, the Russian Yak-1, the Japanese Ki-61 and the Italian Re-2001 Falco. Ares Games will publish a Starter Set with these four models, containing the introductory rules and all other elements needed to start play. The complete schedule of the next releases will be announced soon.
With this announcement, Ares Games now publishes two important games from Italian creators that have achieved international recognition. In July, Ares Games aquired the rights from Sophisticated Games to publish the award-winning board game "War of the Ring", based on the J.R.R.Tolkien's trilogy, "The Lord of the RingsTM", and created by Roberto Di Meglio, Francesco Nepitello and Marco Maggi. A new edition of the game, in English, will be available this Fall, with other language editions forecasted for Spring 2012.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great news. Interseting to se the name change, not sure if that was a can't get from Nexus thing or not. Could have done w/o the subtle dig at FFG though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The title of a work belongs to the authors, so Pier Giorgio and me would still be able to publish a "Wings of War" boardgame.
How is FFG involved?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try as I might *I* can't see any dig at FFG anywhere in that release.

The line about imitators with extra chrome could be leveled at the Flash-based PC game that used very similar mechanics, or at any one of the fan re-themes, but there's nothing "anti-FFG" in there that I could see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for your comment. Yes, there is a rethemed Flash game that has been programmed by somebody that had just played Wings of War the evening before, as he declared in a forum.

There are several racing games published in the past with different settings who seems to owe more than something to Wings of War: at least one of them has been sent to would-be publisher with a letter by the author frankly declaring that it was derivative from our game.

There are several re-themes by fans, ranging from Napoleonic dragonriders to Battlestar Galactica, from manga flying witches to Porco Rosso, from Star Wars to King Kong. They are not on sale (just the two Strike Witches or ストライクウィッチーズ that as many Japanese fan-developed products are printed and sold) but mosty of them are downloadable online:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/53604/best-fan-made-ex...

I am happy that people is still appreciating my game even if these alternatives are available around. Besides I am also proud that so many fans made so many nice things out of my system.
As far as commercial products are concerned, I better appreciate Bruno Faidutti's behaviour: when he decided to use the game idea of Ulysses in Isla Dorada, he asked permission to Pier Giorgio and me and he even made us proud co-authors of his new creation. A real gentleman, I must say and repeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Feery
United States
Oakley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to find the suggested hidden dig at FFG, I found this part of the story might be construed as such:

Cujo8minus1 wrote:
"They have high expectations of it, in spite of several attempts to imitate it with other settings and chrome,"

I can see how that might be a shot at FFGs recently announced Star Wars themed Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game game.

At any rate, I think the Wings plane miniatures are awesome and I'm glad to hear that there will be more produced - that is great news to me!

Happy gaming everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not try nor see X Wing, but I have been told by the uppermost representative of FFG that it has been designed with an "entirely different system". So it should not be related to my considerations about attempts to imitate WoW.

Happy gaming to you too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could be wrong, but FFG's X-wing looks more like the click-base version of Crimson Skies (was it by Wizkids? I can't remember). And arguably that owed more of a debt to the original Car Wars system than Wings of War/Glory.

What Wings of War brought to the table that was new wasn't the pre-chosen moves, or the different characteristics of the planes, or a deck to determine damage; it was the way that the cards chosen to plan the moves were also the cards used to actually execute the moves.

The closest commercial release to Wings of War that I've seen was probably Zauberstauber - which was published the year after Wings of War. But there were crucial differences, such as the lack of combat, the way all broomsticks were equal, the even greater need to visualise your moves when you picked them, and especially the way that pilots could choose to plan between one and five moves ahead - planning further ahead was risky, but allowed you to fly further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the game that actually Heinrich Glumpler honestly presented to his would-be publishers as directly inspired by WoW, so he said me in Essen years ago.

Another race game that has been compared to Wings of War and came out one year after it is Dragonriders. A more recent one is Regatta.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cadieux
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was very pleased to see in another forum and then post the Ares announcement here as it means this great game will continue to move ahead. I am very much looking forward to my WWI Bombers making an appearance soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for that. Ares' program has still to be announced. But IMHO WW1 bombers will not be so late...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! Did someone type WWI bombers?
Can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Blumöhr
Germany
Griesheim
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
angiolillo wrote:
This is the game that actually Heinrich Glumpler honestly presented to his would-be publishers as directly inspired by WoW, so he said me in Essen years ago.

Another race game that has been compared to Wings of War and came out one year after it is Dragonriders. A more recent one is Regatta.

Dragonrider is a development from a game Jean published already in 1987: Ben Hur
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this note, interesting to know! I read comparisons, back in 2005, with no references to the previous version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here the rethemes made by fans. Some are pretty gorgeous. Most can even be downloaded for free:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/71803/wings-of-war-glo...

And more...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
angiolillo wrote:
... so Pier Giorgio and me would still be able to publish a "Wings of War" boardgame.

I hope you continue with the boardgame, Andrea. I do purchase the minis when I can, but I still prefer the boardgame. It's much more affordable, and provides more overall variety (number and types of planes, sizes of dogfights, etc.) for my gaming group.

Please don't abandon the boardgame. I'm sure publishing yourself, through Kickstarter, would be a great option, and I'm certain the community would support it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Slaughter
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnglePark wrote:
I hope you continue with the boardgame, Andrea. I do purchase the minis when I can, but I still prefer the boardgame. It's much more affordable, and provides more overall variety (number and types of planes, sizes of dogfights, etc.) for my gaming group.

Please don't abandon the boardgame. I'm sure publishing yourself, through Kickstarter, would be a great option, and I'm certain the community would support it.

Agreed with what Barry said -- I have been wanting the boardgame for a while, but only a passing interest in the miniatures for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your comment. Ares Games is defining its program, I hope they will strongly support the no-miniature version too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Add another vote for both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the new look of the WW2 version (WGS):

http://www.gioconomicon.net/modules.php?name=coppermine&file...

There is also a comparison between a WGS (Wings of Glory - Second World War) card and the previous card for the same plane included in Wings of War - Fire from the Sky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Izack Chee
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nice, functionally the same but looks different

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any thoughts on what Spring 2012 means in more detail?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eurek
Italy
Milano
ITA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently discovered Wings of War.. And run into this thread. My understanding is that WoW deluxe FF reprint is no longer available (except stocks still in stores). I'd like to jump into the game(WWI), what would be the best option for me at this point? Try to find and grab an out of print FF copy or wait few months to see the new board game version released??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now you can get a Wings of Glory: WW1 Rules and Accessories Pack (it should be available in Italian too thanks to the distribution of Red Glove) and 4 miniatures between Morane Saulnier, Airco DH2, E.III and Halberstadt (2 allied and 2 from Central Powers). 2 are enough to try, but with 4 the game is quite better - less void circling. Scenarios are there for free download to try something different from just dogfights, even with these planes:

http://www.aresgames.eu/downloads/archive

In a couple of months you can get Wings of Glory: WW1 Duel Packs that will allow you to do similar scenarios with the planes in the deluxe version, actually in the very same color schemes of the Deluxe Revised version:

Or you can then take single airplane packs with these same planes in new color schemes.

In any case, if you find a leftover copy of the Deluxe it is compatible 100% with all new products.

Duel packs, when they will available, will allow to start playing just with one of them (but I always suggest to buy a couplme more planes too to make the game more interesting). They have just a selection of basic/standard rules, while the Rules & Accessories pack has much more advanced and optional rules.

If you want WW2 instead, just buy a Starter set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.