United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new TGIF polls are posted, or want to look at the results of past polls go to The TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

EDIT: Oops I left that website address in question #1 as bgg.cc. If you prefer, change the url to boardgamegeek.com

Poll: The 159th TGIF Poll
How many games and/or expansions have you already played 10 or more times in 2011?

(To look at this information quickly go here, but change the "USERNAME" to your username: http://www.bgg.cc/plays/fiveanddime/user/USERNAME/subtype/Al...)
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
21.1% 48
14.9% 34
13.2% 30
11.8% 27
7.5% 17
6.1% 14
6.1% 14
2.6% 6
3.9% 9
2.6% 6
1.3% 3
11 - 15
3.5% 8
16 - 20
2.6% 6
21 - 25
0.9% 2
26+
1.8% 4
Voters 228
How many games and/or expansions have you played 5 to 9 times in 2011?
10.1% 23
7.9% 18
7.9% 18
8.4% 19
7.5% 17
7.5% 17
7.5% 17
6.2% 14
7.0% 16
6.6% 15
6.2% 14
11 - 15
7.0% 16
16 - 20
5.7% 13
21 - 25
1.8% 4
26+
2.6% 6
Voters 227
How many of your Top 10 games have you played at least 5 times in 2011?
20.2% 46
19.7% 45
14.9% 34
9.2% 21
8.8% 20
5.7% 13
3.9% 9
1.3% 3
1.3% 3
0.0% 0
0.9% 2
I don't have a Top 10
14.0% 32
Voters 228
This poll is now closed.   229 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Thu Sep 8, 2011 6:00 am

#4. Which game that appears (or does not appear) on your Five and Dime list surprises you the most? (For instance you wouldn't have expected this game to make it to that many plays, or you would have thought this game would have more plays, etc.)

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
I had one game on the Dime list (Scrabble) and it's a Top 10 game, so while I answered "1" to the final poll question, it really represents 100% of my Dimes for the year.

The surprising thing to me was that I actually had a game I'd played 10 times this year (and only 10 times, by the way). I had one nickel, but it's a kids game so doesn't really count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played way too few games this year: I still don't have a single 5 or dime yet. The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game will make it a 5 before the end of the year I think, I expect the expansions will see some play during the autumn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ridgway
United States
Fairfax Station
Virginia
flag msg tools
How much for the little game in the window?
badge
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm zeros across the board, but this year I've been making a focused effort to play everything on my shelf that was unplayed. I'm down under 10 in that category and I'm very pleased about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't log my plays (it turns a hobby into accounting for me) so mine are pretty much guesses from memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess that Sleeping Queens surprises me the most with 9 plays. A lot of my most-played games in 2011 are kids games because my kids keep picking them, but Sleeping Queens is one that I don't remember playing 9 times already this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - I have 7 games and expansions that appear in that list (and 3 of them are Dominion.)

2 - I have 7 of these as well (and only 1 expansion here.)

3 - Sadly there are only 2, BITS and Dominion. However, if I counted each Dominion expansion as a separate entry in my Top 10, then there would be 4! I just need to get some of my favorite games back to the table. I wish my family liked them more.

4 - I'm really surprised that I have played We Didn't Playtest This At All 8 times in 2011. It seems like it has been ages since I played that game, yet I have got it to the table several times this year. The one I'm most delighted with adding to the Five and Dime list of 2011 is Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age. I had no idea that when I bought it for Rikki it would become one of our most frequently played games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a top 10 but I have played seven of my 9/10's at least five times each. Because of that, I looked at the list and I'm not really surprised by any of it. I guess the most surprising games would be Macao as I really dig the game and has become one of my favorites and Slappy Hands as I'm surprised that I have played it as much and with various people (it's a silly game).

Actually, I'm much more surprised that Dominion isn't on this list. Perhaps a little burn out?

Crokinole 27
Slappy Hands 17
Schafkopf 16
Pit 8
Macao 7
Pickomino 7
DVONN 6
Lexio 6
Werewolf 6
PitchCar 5
Puerto Rico 5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
most surprising for me is probably Just4Fun. I play it on Yucata (just for fun ironically enough). I would think about trying to find a copy of it when my son gets old enough to start adding numbers though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. 5 (not including Unpublished Prototype, which is actually multiple games)
2. 5
3. 5 (not including Fluxx, even though I have themed Fluxxes in there).
4. I still haven't played Word Blur this year, even though it was a dime last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
How many of your Top 10 games have you played at least 5 times in 2011?

First time I read this question as the top 10 games as in BGG's top 10. Interestingly, my answer is two whether it's BGG's top 10 (Puerto Rico & Dominion) or my top 10 (Puerto Rico & Pandemic).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was kind of surprised to see the party-type games Apples to Apples and In a Pickle on the list. We've owned them for a couple of years, but never played until recently. With the right group though, they are a lot of fun.

I did notice that Pickomino has shot up the play list quickly. We went from zero plays to 46 over the summer. We find this a great one to teach others. It is also a great outdoor game, being wind-resistant and durable. Many of those plays have been at the park or on the beach. It is also fun, with both a push-your-luck and a screw-your-buddy element to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Blott wrote:
#4. Which game that appears (or does not appear) on your Five and Dime list surprises you the most? (For instance you wouldn't have expected this game to make it to that many plays, or you would have thought this game would have more plays, etc.)

Probably Twin. Most of the list is games I've played a lot before, of games new to me (or newly released). Numeri is a bit of a surprise, in that it's likely to hit 10+ plays for the first time ever.

I've played three of my top 10 games - Bridge, Race, and 1846 - 10+ times. A few others will likely get to 5+ plays before the year is up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
The third question in the poll is a bit wonky for me. I won't put a game on my Top 10 until a year has passed from my first play of it. Keeps "New Hype/Buzz/Hysteria" games off my Top 10. If it's good a year later, then it's a good game worthy of my Top 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
A So far 7 Wonders is my only 10+ for the year. I didn't realize it was up to 30 already, but considering how quick it plays and how it's relatively easy to teach, that's no surprise.

B Dancing Eggs (9), Survive: Escape from Atlantis! (9), Merchants & Marauders (8), and Confusion: Espionage and Deception in the Cold War (6) are my 5+ games. M&M is all-but-guaranteed to get past 10 before the year is out, and Survive! stands a good chance of making it too. Confusion is certain to pick up a few more plays as well, but whether it reaches 10 will remain to be seen.

C My Top 10 is really only a Top 6 right now since I haven't locked down anything beyond those first few. M&M is certainly within the Top 5, and considering how much enjoyment I've had from 7 Wonders I'd consider it to fall within the Top 10.

D I didn't expect to see Dancing Eggs pop up, but thinking back on it (and checking my records) there were a whole bunch of plays very early in the year at family gatherings with various nieces and nephews. It's not a game I'd ever pull out for game night, but it's a huge hit with kids, especially the ones that have more energy than they know what to do with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised Race for the Galaxy only has 2 plays, but that is because I'm trying to replay everything in my collection and haven't brought it out to gamenight as often. It needs to make a return

10 or more plays
Game Qty
7 Wonders 19
No Thanks! 13

5 or more plays
Game Qty
Dominion 9
Sticheln 9
Nightfall 8
Power Grid 8
Puzzle Strike 8
Hansa Teutonica 7
Stone Age 6
Long Shot 5
Shark 5
Tigris & Euphrates 5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmb
1. My dimes are Race, Ninety-Nine, Cinch, Goblin Market, and Magnate. I'm reasonably happy with that list.

2. My nickels include two Decktet games I invented, Bharg, Empire Builder, Twilight Struggle, Wits & Wagers, 51st State, Galaxy Trucker, Memoir '44, Merchant of Venus, Agricola, and Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization, which I'm also reasonably happy with. I do wish it included fewer "new to me" games and more old standbys.

3. Agricola is the only top ten "game" that's in my five-and-dime record, although the Decktet is in my top ten and there are a ton of Decktet games in the five-and-dime list.

4. We got Twilight Struggle earlier this year, played it 7 times in rapid succession as we struggled to figure out how to stop the USSR from winning on turn 3 [so all of these plays were very very short], then got one game that went to something like turn 7 for a US win, and haven't played since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
1) 6
2) 6
3) 0
4) Connect 4, I didn't realize during that couple days my daughter was 'into' it that we played that much.

Game Qty
Win, Lose, or Banana 31
Tic-Tac-Toe 23
We Didn't Playtest This At All 22
The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow 17
7 Wonders 15
Battlestar Galactica 10
Bang! The Bullet! 8
Connect Four 8
Excape 8
Piratenbillard 7
BITS 5
Braggart 5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacco Versteeg
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
10 or more plays:
Tichu

5 or more plays:
Bang!
Family Business
Fire and Axe: A Viking Saga
Fjords
SiegeStones

Surprises:
Looking at the 2009 and 2010 lists, the first thing that springs to mind is that Coloretto has disappeared (20 or more plays in 2009 and 2010, no plays in 2011). That's quite a big shift.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
bnordeng wrote:
I guess that Sleeping Queens surprises me the most with 9 plays.

It's a game where it's really easy to play more than you'd think. Look at Madison Kump, who has already played it 2,147,483,658 times!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/playstats/thing/17053
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
My answers:

5 dimes
8 nickels
4 Top Ten games

Nothing too surprising to me. I set a goal of playing Outpost 20 times in 2011 to mark the 20th anniversary of its publication, and I'm already at 16 (even before the new version is released,) but that's not surprising.

Probably the biggest surprise is that I've played 1846: The Race for the Midwest 22 times. I learned it last year, really loved it, and played it 27 times in 2011. I knew I'd play it a bunch in 2012, but I had no idea I'd have played it 22 times.

Also, two of my Top 10 games (namely, Medici and Saint Petersburg) are at 4 plays with an excellent chance of making it to nickels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 zero
2 8
3 zero
4 I'm not surprised in the sense that I mostly remember what I played. But 8 plays of Dragonheart (and some online plays) is rather surprising for me - I still don't know the secret of this game. It just doesn't feel like a great game (it's not that original, it's a bit bland, it's rather luck-dependent etc.) but somehow I often want to play it and enjoy every play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't track mine faithfully enough to actually know the answer to this. I really wish there were more games, and games with expansions, over an hour in length that I had actually played 10 times in this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eight dimes, of which 2 are Dominion. I'm sad that I don't get to play enough Roborally, but it leads my list at 35.

Five nickels, of which 2 are also Dominion.

Three from my top 10: backgammon, Dominion, and Roborally.

Probably the most (mildly) surprising result is Deduce or Die as a dime. I didn't quite realize that, but it's great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I was 0 of my Top 10 (I'm assuming all time favorite), so I took a look at my top 10.

#1 Nuclear War - 4 plays so far this year. I'm surprised by this, it seemed like there were a few more late night end of gaming night plays.

#2 El Grande - 4 plays so far. Not surprised. I carried it with me to the Wednesday night group most of the summer and couldn't get takers.

#3 Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery (I hate how this is now listed) - 0 plays. I seem to be the only one in the group that truly enjoys this game.

#4 Container - 0 plays. Last year there were a couple of bad plays of this and it's somewhat turned people in the group off.

#5 Battle Cry - 2 plays. 2 player games don't get pulled out too much around my house.

#6 Industrial Waste - 2 plays (about on par for this game)

#7 Um Reifenbreite - 1 play. I don't own a copy of this and only one person I know does. He use to hardly ever bring his own games over for gaming night, so he made sure to bring it with him his last night gaming with us before moving to the other side of the country.

#8 Warhammer Quest - 0 plays. This one is on the list 'mostly' for nostalgia. I haven't played it for a long time. BUT, recently one of my old gaming buddies showed up for a gaming night with a copy to give to me. I haven't had the time to get it all off the sprues though, but hope to get it to the table this fall.

#9 Jenseits von Theben - 0 plays. But I have played Thebes once this year (I'm surprised not more). I do enjoy the 2nd edition better, but only marginally better, so the newer version normally comes out as it's easier to set up and play.

#10 Die Macher - 2 plays. About on par. I think I might get a rare third play in a year in sometime this fall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.