United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks.

A fellow war gamer and I sat down last night to hash out the first turn of EotS. Technically it was the second turn as we didn't want to go through the initial 26 activation attack and just started after this opening move. Things went fairly smooth as we quickly emptied our hands of political and resource cards (I took China down two places in the opening of the game), but then we hit a small question during the first set of battles.

Attacking from Hawaii with an OP3 card, Chuck made a deep move into the Pacific. I can't remember the location exactly that he was aiming for, but it were the Kamikaze is initially located. I was able to make my intercept roll, and it suddenly became confusing as to how far the reacting units could move.

We made a table assumption that since the initial offensive was using an OP3, the reaction force would use the same OP3 as their movement modifier. We thought of the OP value as time spent traveling, and if the offensive was intercepted, then the reaction forces would have the same time frame to move.

Were we correct in thinking that the movement multiplier of the card played affects both the Offensive and Reaction player? We looked through the rules and could not find the answer. If you can point to a rule number, we would greatly appreciate that as well.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right about this, though I don't have the rules handy. You can check on-line at the GMT website, where there are Living Rules for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It took a while, but I found the rule.

Quote:
7.1 The distance a unit may move during an offensive or reaction is based on the unit type’s base movement allowance times the OC value of the Offensive card or an EC text that supersedes the OC value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, we got it right Erich, I just couldn't put my finger on the rule at the time, looking in the wrong section.

Mark nailed it, as it specifies there. Also in 5.11 under movement allowance, it says 'of a unit for the current offensive' without designating offensive or reaction player. It states it again in 6.22 when it says active and reactive units.

There is one exception though, and that's if the active player plays an event card that allows for more movement the offensive player gets those additional movement points instead of the OC. The wording, by excluding the reactive player, I think gives the reactive player only the OC value in movement points.

Edit: re-reading the sections in 6.22 and 7.1 I'm not sure on the exception now. 6.22 specifies the Offensive player whereas 7.1 calls out the exception but states active and reactive movement in the same sentence.

My question now is does the Reaction player always get the same MA as the Offensive player, or does 6.22 only apply to the Offensive player and the Reaction player gets the OC value times MA? (and 7.1 should be reworded to show distinction between the event text MA and OC MA vice Offensive and Reaction players.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Vignuzzi
Canada
Burritts Rapids
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep it simple. The card played has an OC value [rule 7.1]. That value dictates the movement allowance for ALL units activated - be they offensive or reaction.

If a card provides an exception (such as #9 Ugaki, where the offensive player gets to move naval units and one ground unit 21 hexes IF the card is played as an EC offensive) then you apply the exception from the card text only to the specified units. [rule 6.22]

For example, with Ugaki, JP air units still only move as per a 3OC card, nothing more. Allied units, naval ground or air, move as per a 3OC.

In short, all 6.22 is saying is "read the card text and let it take precedence if the event (i.e. played as an EC) confers additional bonuses".

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.