Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my teenage son's first time with Twilight Struggle, so I was anxious to keep him apprised of all the rules, as well as keep my own head in the game. For me, not always an easy thing to do (as you will see later). To my surprise, he picked it up pretty quickly as the "Empire of Evil"! In fact, for almost the entire game, the VP counter swung back and forth in a very tight tug-of-war! He had a rather tight strategy of reducing my strength with realignment rolls, then coming back with high op cards and controlling what I once had.

The game went 10 turns and, to me, it seemed as though it would be but a formality from that point on. You see, I was ahead by 6 points in the victory track and had advantages in S. America, C. America and Asia. However, that's about when the bubble burst for me.......my son, then, commented: "I believe I have control of Europe, right?" Huh, I said? Damn, he was right! He actually already had it when he used his final phase to control France. Evidently, I had not spent enough time reviewing Europe prior to my last round and, instead, used my last turn to grab Thailand. "I'm so stupid!", I replied as I then realized that Russia's control of Europe following turn 10 automatically awarded Russia the victory.

Note to self: Don't EVER, EVER, assume anything playing Twilight Struggle. It was then, also, when I realized that this game really can be a Struggle to the very end.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know how you feel, Bob. Despite playing and teaching the game numerous times and always warning my opponents of things like boycott the Olympics when defcon is 2.....I have lost at least two times with that very scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.