Clyde Cloggie
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I received the Carrock pack earlier this week and managed to beat it solo on the third attempt with a four-sphere Frodo / Legolas / Aragorn / Song of Wisdom deck (one core set / HfG / CatC).

Absolute key to the win was the Born Aloft / Miner of the Iron Hills combo. Sacked! turned up 4 times at crucial stages. I managed to discard the first with a normal Miner from the Iron Hills play, then attached Born Aloft to it and it prceeded to bounce back to my hand three times only to be played again in the next planning phase to rescue Frodo.

I desperately needed Frodo to quest because my threat was hovering in the mid-40s and the other heroes and allies were needed to keep 5 Trolls and a some Wargs at bay.

On the last turn, with only Rupert left to kill, the last Sacked! was discarded by a Miner Eagle-pilot, freeing up Frodo to quest. Threat at 45, and I knew the potentially worst play would be a Brown Lands turning up. Because of the Miner, Frodo quested...Brown Lands was revealed and I did NOT die by hitting 50 Threat.

Legolas, Aragorn and Grimbeorn killed Rupert a bit later on, game won!

The strategy lesson from this story: Born Aloft and Miner from the Iron Hills give you excellent Encounter Conditions control...pretty essential at The Carrock

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
Yeah, Miner of the Iron Hills is certainly very helpful on this quest. Between his ability and Eleanor's role in canceling cards like Roasted Slowly and A Frightened Beast, Conflict at the Carrock seems like it gives underutilized cards a chance to shine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde Cloggie
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmb
First card from the Encounter deck after the Miner removed Sacked! #1 from Frodo was Roasted Slowly...close call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Awesome
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Can't read my POKAH FASE
mbmbmbmbmb
clydecloggie wrote:
Sacked! turned up 4 times at crucial stages.

You are supposed to have only 2 Sacked cards solo. 1 + # of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keggy wrote:
clydecloggie wrote:

We almost went through the Encounter deck in our only CatC play and Rupert also shuffles all Sackeds back to the Encounter deck when he attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
We have completed the Carrock three times out of four so far in a 2 player coop without using either the Miner or Forest Snare. I still think the Hill ones are the worst of the trolls with the threat increase ability, the rest can be blocked with the like of a Snowbourn Scout without much fear.

When I first saw Sacked!, I dreaded it greatly but the every time it comes it does not stay long. The problem would be to get it really early in the first stage of the quest, that has not happened yet but I see four games are not really many. It does not make me include the Miner into any deck I have right now because he is just useless in most of the quests... Forest Snare is a different matter but in case of the Carrock, it is usually essential to kill off a Troll right away, and then Feint is much more useful card in my eyes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde Cloggie
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Keggy wrote:
clydecloggie wrote:

I know, the 2 copies of Scaked! were indeed recycled by Rupert into a fairly empty encounter deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the miner in my deck, so I have no way of getting rid of the sacked! Attachment the easy way.
Though, today, I came up with an idea: I had Lndroval in play, and Denethor was sacked!

Muck adder appeared in the staging area, so I decided to engage him, and let his attack go undefended on Denethor himself (the sacked card says a sacked hero cannot attack, defend, receive resources, but it doesn't say it cannot be wounded, so as soon as the snake wounded Denethor, the poor man died, BUT I had Landroval guarding him, so I bring a sacked-less Denethor in play, and Landroval back in my hand.

It costs 5 resources (Landroval) and 1 wound on the formerly sacked hero, but it's an easy way to get rid of the sacked attachment, when you don't have the miner.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.