Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Manning
United Kingdom
Dartford
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This first post will be updated with relevant information; I will be posting separate information and data below.

I'll also be using this thread as a design log and open discussion base for my design.

UPDATE 05/09/2011
B/W Text Only Cards Released: https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D6151241_687_632302396
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
An Aliens theme? I'm already intrigued!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Manning
United Kingdom
Dartford
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Design Thesis
Alright guys, here's my initial pass and a design thesis/dossier:

Name - Aliens: The Hive

Intended Ingredient: Classic Sci-Fi Movie(s) (Alien Saga), Deck/Pool Building, Dice Rolling.

Envisioned Game: 2-Player pitched battle game; Humans versus Aliens. The Humans win if they survive X number of turns and the Aliens win if they can kill of all Humans before this deadline.

Game will feature a square-based fixed map, but game will allow for variable setup of initial troops based upon given "scenarios" or "difficulty" levels.

Players will draw "Actions" from a shared deck pile of Split cards - One half Human Action, Other Alien. Actions will be "balanced" against one another to limit chances of opponent holding "all the answers" but still allowing for some back and forth. Card draws will be based upon troop numbers, meaning the Human position is strong and gets weaker, whilst the reverse is true for the Aliens.

Combat will be straight forward - Attack Value + Modifiers + 1D6; Attacks will be an "Action" card to stop a "TPK" early in the game.

Envisioned Components:
1 Hex Board
Two Six-Sided Dice
40 Action Cards (Half-size)
X Citizen Tokens
X Soldier Tokens
X Face Hugger Tokens
2X Alien Warrior Tokens
1 Alien Queen Token
X Door Markers
X Vent Markers
X Weapon Tokens
X Darkness Tokens
X Ammo Counters

I have no Vassal experience at all so I'll probably produce this myself for the photo - I'll endeavour to reduce print value as much as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Manning
United Kingdom
Dartford
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:

Thanks, to be honest the idea has been sitting in my theme list for some time now - the contest just pushed it upon me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Luthervamplord wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:

Thanks, to be honest the idea has been sitting in my theme list for some time now - the contest just pushed it upon me.

Good. That's what these contests should do--give designers a kick in the pants and encourage them to actually design instead of merely imagine!

The game sounds good so far! I hope it turns out well. Don't worry too much about the production value, though; this is, after all, a contest with a severe time crunch. Focus on testing and balance first. You can always make everything prettier after the contest is over, but you'll want to submit the most functional version of the game to the contest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Manning
United Kingdom
Dartford
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Example cards done - B/W text only for now. I'll make everything beautiful at the end (If I have time)

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D6151241_687_632302396
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Manning
United Kingdom
Dartford
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Afraid to say guys - RL just kicked me in the crotch and killed any chance I have of completing my project within the time scale but I will continue with the project when I can and update this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Luthervamplord wrote:
Afraid to say guys - RL just kicked me in the crotch and killed any chance I have of completing my project within the time scale but I will continue with the project when I can and update this thread.

Sorry to hear that. Are you sure that you can't throw together a hex map and a set of rules? You're so close to a playable game! You've already got the cards, and players can supply their own tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.