Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Heroic Brewer
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What better way to top off a long work day than a good Earth Reborn session! My buddy and I had already played a couple of the earlier scenarios, plus a SAGS game, so we skipped right ahead to one of the more advanced scenarios. Fortress Primus looked interesting, so we decided on that one. Setup took about 20 minutes, now that we're familiar with the game and board tiles, the puzzle board went together fairly easily.

Deployment: My friend started, and immediately put a marker in the missile room. Assuming he's going to go after that big 10 MP nuke launch from the start, I begin placing my markers around the west side of the facility. He places a few more markers around the missile room, and some others on the east end by the cryo chamber. I put the rest of my decoys in the east side, and then we flip them. As expected, he put Deeler in the missile room, Hollister guarding him, and Kendall locked in the cryo chamber. I placed Vasquez outside the armory on the west side, with Bolter and Woo outside the command post.

Buddy goes first, he gets a good technical roll with Deeler, and activates the missile. Bolter enters the command center, and moves in to the missile room door, but fails to bust it down. Woo comes in and does a search, looking for something to help destroy that door. He finds the hand claw (we refer to it as the freddy kreuger glove). Hollister searches, finds a power fist, and then bolts for the command center to help keep my guys occupied. I activate Vasquez, get a lucky close combat roll to bust down the armory door, and move her in. Kendall proceeds to get an extremely lucky roll on his laptop computer to generate a quick 4 MP. I move Bolter away from the door, and attempt to smack Hollister in the face, getting one critical through. Hollister returns the blow on the next activation. I move Woo in to the door in an attempt to destroy it. Even with the claw, I don't get enough damage to destroy. Kendall activates, and generates a zombie from the cryo remains,another 4 MP. Vasquez activates, does a search in the armory, and ends up finding the sniper rifle. Score! Command points used up, end of turn. One time counter goes off the missiles.

Next turn. Dealer moves right next to the door I'm trying to knock out. I activate Woo, destroy the door, but now I have to face Deeler before I can move into the room. Hollister activates, and now it looks like they're going to tag team blows onto Woo. She does a close combat and hits him for 2 crits. Remembering that knocking out power will reset the missile timer, and the fact that Bolter has the technical toolbox, I place a 4 movement command tile on him, and sprint over to towards the power generator. Deeler tussles with Woo, but fails to do any damage. While Woo is dealing with the Salemites, Vasquez attempts to go in and help. Hollister successfully interrupts, and proceeds to move in for some close combat action. With some very good rolls, she manages to get Vasquez on her injured card. Due to a lack of movement tiles, I cannot get Bolter to the gerator, and have Vasquez retreat from combat. I decide to get Bolter to the generator, but he still won't have enough movement to get onto the activation pie in order to shut down power. With desperation, Vasquez attempts to shoot Hollister with the sniper rifle, and manages to do a damage, before Hollister delivers the killing blow with her power fist. +5 MP for killing my NORAD character. So, for those keeping score, I still have my starting 5 MP, and my Salemite friend has managed to increase his lead to 33 MP. Not looking good for me. In desperation, I start searching frantically to find stuff. Bolter is pretty much by himself, so he uses the Sat Comm to generate a spy point, which he uses to look at the top 3 cards of the search deck, and proceeds to find the magnetic disruptor. Woo uses the rest of his movement orders to get out of dodge, and toward the officer's private stock in hopes of finding mission items and weapons.

By the end of turn, Woo and Bolter are searching frantically, while trying to stay away from Hollister who is now armed to the teeth. By the end of turn 5 I've found everything I need for MP except for the zombie serum. My buddy generated another zombie, and is sending them after Bolter. Bolter takes care of the zombie, and keeps searching to convert spy points to MP.

Turn 6 (last turn), hollister has finally caught up with Woo, and has beat him to within an inch of his life. I would love to keep him around to continue searching, but decide to get him off the map to generate MP for his items. I bust out a huge movement order, and limp Woo off the map. At this point, if Bolter gets way with his loot, the Salemites will win by 2 MP. I keep searching, trying to find the serum, or spy points. End up maxing out Bolters max CP without finding either, effectively ending a close game with a Salemite win.

What I learned with this game was to pay attention to the tiles that are on the map, and how they interact with other tiles. Instead of spending so much effort brute forcing into the missile room, should have been smarter and shut down power. This would have prevented the missile launch, and prevent the zombies from being generated. Also, didn't realize until looking at the rules again that cutting off power allows you to open any locked door without a key card. This would have been immensely helpful as well.

Overall, we had a blast, and have thoroughly enjoyed every game of Earth Reborn played thus far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
"In loving memory of Mariel."
mb
naf313 wrote:
...What I learned with this game was to pay attention to the tiles that are on the map, and how they interact with other tiles...

Favorite part (^_^) Nice write up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
naf313 wrote:
Kendall activates, and generates a zombie from the cryo remains,another 4 MP.
My buddy generated another zombie, and is sending them after Bolter.
Since you didn't mention Salemites finding Zombie Serum twice I think you may have made the same mistake I did: using characters' special abilities in scenario 5. These aren't added until scenario 6. Changes the balance of this scenario quite a bit IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heroic Brewer
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terah wrote:
naf313 wrote:
Kendall activates, and generates a zombie from the cryo remains,another 4 MP.
My buddy generated another zombie, and is sending them after Bolter.
Since you didn't mention Salemites finding Zombie Serum twice I think you may have made the same mistake I did: using characters' special abilities in scenario 5. These aren't added until scenario 6. Changes the balance of this scenario quite a bit IMO.

You're right! Since we've played SAGS games using all the rules except for radio scrambling, we didn't think about limiting the rules you can use based on what the scenario says. It seems like every game we end up screwing up the rules at least once or twice. I'm still waiting to play a perfect game that's 100% accurate to the rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.