5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Help with finding/remembering an old baseball game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mk w
msg tools
Hello all.

I emailed a question to one of your site admins and it was suggested I post a thread with the question. Sorry if this isn't the preferred way to hop into BGG...blush

In the late 1960s and early 1970s my older brothers played a fabulous baseball board game. It apparently wasn't one of the better known ones, like APBA or Strat-O-Matic. It was a fairly intricate game involving player cards customizable by real stats, dice (2 or 3, not sure) and the ability to manage the game as far as types of pitches thrown, base running, making a lineup, player fatigue, all sorts of things. There were hitting charts of some sort for average and power and likely a number of other details I cannot remember. It was very realistic as good players did best against bad players. Games took 30-45 minutes to play. He and I created a truncated version of the game in the 1980s, and I find it a half way decent game to play still, but he says the "real" one was much, much better.

One of my brothers INSISTS that it was sponsored in large part by the baseball player and manager Leo Durocher, who was in Chicago at the time. The Cubs are the closest MLB team to where I grew up. Perhaps he simply appeared in advertisements for the game in print or on TV (I have seen old commercials with players like Roger Maris and others who "sponsor" various games). I think that's the more likely thing but he is sure it may have even been referred to in some way as Leo Durocher's game.

I have yet to find anything out for sure about who made this game and have looked for quite a while. I have recently seen some examples of Avalon Baseball, and a game that the magazine Sports Illustrated put out. These were 1960s games and 1970s games. They look like possibilities, but I have not yet been able to show them to my brother to see if either is possibly the one.

Any information would be extremely welcome. If this game actually exists I would love to get my hands on one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
From the sounds of it, then perhaps it were: Baseball Strategy ~'click' that. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also sounds similar to the one my husband loves: Super Star baseball
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
If neither of these are it, here is the page with all the games on Boardgamegeek that are categorized as baseball games:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/5586/baseball#l...

(That's not to say there aren't other ones on here, occasionally items get missed, but not often.)

If you go to the Linked items heading on that page, you can sort the list by the year published. (Look at the drop down menu that says Sort.)

When you see a game that trips your memory, check out the image gallery (click on an image from that game to get there). You can browse the different versions, it may help to see the components from the game instead of just the box front since those can change.

I hope you find your game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mk w
msg tools
Thanks for the info. I wondered right away if the Avalon game was it, but my memory of it is pretty sparse. I'm going to show these to my brother tomorrow and hopefully it is the correct one and he can remember it. Thanks for all the quick responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.