Subject: Sequence of Play and Screening rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivan Trombik
Switzerland
Zuerich
flag msg tools
badge
Have I answered all your Questions and provided good Customer Service? THAT MAKES NO SENSE! That's the Paradox, my Friend!
mbmbmbmb
I'm eagerly waiting for my copy, should arrive in 2 weeks. So far I have 2 questions. Instead of getting a beat-up from an experienced player, save your energy and help me :-)

Rulesbook 3.0 Sequence of Play:

The word -turn- confuses me. 2-Player Game: Player1 does Movement,Combat, Exploration. Then Player2 does the same. Another 2nd turn follows for Player1, followed by Player2. Another 3rd Turn follows for Player1, followed by Player2. Then Economic Phase in which new Player-Order is defined who is Player 1. Reset Turn Marker. The circle starts again. Am I right?

Rulebook 5.7 Combat Screening:
Its always the Player with more combat-capable ships that may screen(or not) and he chooses each combat-round which ships from his oponents are screened. Am I right?

Is the amount of screened ships up to the difference or the difference itself? Assume 5 combat-capable ships could be screened, are now 5 screened, or can for example only 2 of them choosen to be screened?

Beg your pardon, I do not understand the purpose of Screening Ships at all. Is this to concentrate more firepower on less ships? Or assume the Defender has more combat-capable ships, to protect some of his units?

All non-combat ships are automatically screened until the end of
the battle (see 5.9.1).....does this mean any Mining-,Colony Ship and MS Pipeline Ship is kinda protected? I can see them only get destroyed if the accompany combat-ships get all destroyed leaving them alone. A Colony or Shipyard does not count to, let's use this word, protect them?
And...I guess Non-combat ships count towards the screener-limit that is given through the calculated difference explained in the Rules? Am I right?

I hope I could word my questions properly, and thx for clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sequence of play - correct.

Screening -

Quote:
Its always the Player with more combat-capable ships that may screen(or not) and he chooses each combat-round which ships from his oponents are screened. Am I right?

Yes, but not from his opponent's ships, from his own. The player with more ships decides if he wants to keep some of his own ships out of the battle that round.

The purpose of screening is to protect some of your ships. Say, you had a damaged ship or say you only have one DD with scanners and you want to make sure it stays alive, etc. Screening ships is always voluntary.

Yes, the non-combat ships are protected until the end of battle. However, since they can't retreat, they are toast unless their side wins. Doing it that way greatly simplified the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Trombik
Switzerland
Zuerich
flag msg tools
badge
Have I answered all your Questions and provided good Customer Service? THAT MAKES NO SENSE! That's the Paradox, my Friend!
mbmbmbmb
Oh what a quick reply and from the Master itself. Thank you! Last tiny question from above post, the Amount of Screened ships is up to the difference, and not the difference itself? Say I have 10 combat-capable ships, my Opponent has 5, so I may screen up to 5 of my own ships, say I choose 2 ships. The keyword here is -up to-. Am I right? And what about the Non-Combat Ships, they do not count towards the limit as they are screened separatedly and anyway? Am I right? And a Colony or Shipyard does not count to, let's assume Im the defender of a Planet that has my colony/SY, protect them? Aargh, so many questions Im sorry...

Definition of Defender and Attacker: Any Player entering a Hex to attack it, but there are no Defending-Units present, is the Attacker. Only the next Round the Original Owner/Defender of his own Planet sends Units in, so the Original Attacker becomes the Defender and the Original Owner becomes the Attacker? This is true for any case?

Okay, thats it and thx a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The attacker is the active player, that is to say, if it is your turn you are the attacker, if it is your opponent's turn you are the defender.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matecha
United States
Florence
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that I need to help since Jim is so very attentive

My understanding of this is that in your example of 10 vs 5 you may screen UP TO 5 of your ships. So 0,1,2,3,4 or 5.

At the start of every round of combat fleet size is recalculated and you can change your mix of screened ships if you still have the fleet size bonus.

Non-combat ships are PROTECTED, not SCREENED so do not count toward your limit.

I don't even move non-combat ships to the battleboard, I just point them out to my opponent and say "They're mine" in an evil voice.

Colonies have no combat capability and do not enter in to the screening function.

Shipyards are combat capable so are placed on the battleboard just like any other combat-capable unit and can be screened (I believe... Tim?)

Attacker/Defender? In simple terms whoever's turn it is is the attacker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Trombik
Switzerland
Zuerich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Casualgod, Fallow, thx for your reply. May the Screen be with you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fallow wrote:
Not that I need to help since Tim is so very attentive

Apparently he goes by many names!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matecha
United States
Florence
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
Fallow wrote:
Not that I need to help since Tim Jim is so very attentive

Apparently he goes by many names!

What are you talking about? It says Jim! Look! See! Jim!

I have a co-worker named Tim Krohn so.. that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it!

"There are some who call him.... Tim"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I laughed out loud when I read this...The ferocity of this reference caught me completely by surprise.

And, thanks for everyone chipping in on answering the questions. It really helps me. Real life intrudes at times and when someone has answered a question for me already it makes is so much easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Krohn wrote:
Quote:

I laughed out loud when I read this...The ferocity of this reference caught me completely by surprise. :)

And, thanks for everyone chipping in on answering the questions. It really helps me. Real life intrudes at times and when someone has answered a question for me already it makes is so much easier.

Silly real life. Doesn't it realize we have cardboard spaceships to kill!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.