Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've searched a lot of topics about "interrupt" timing - that occurs when using Communism or Defection culture card.

There are questions about several aspects of it. But I think that the problem should be addressed in general.

Why?

It's key information to know where the opponent want to send his figures. So, to be strictly according the wording of cards and to nature of the game, the perfect way to handle with this is the Timothy Pride solution:

- Enemy declares to move 1st space
- Chance to interrupt (defection/communism)
- Resolve: figure moves to 1st space
- Enemy declares to move 2nd space
- Chance to interrupt (defection/communism)
- Resolve: figure moves to 2nd space
etc.

In my practice after 15 games, I'm sure this is strategically relevant. But then every move in the game should be done in this way. For my own benefit, if I want to avoid that opponents use their cards in a great way, I will call: "I will move the 3 flags from this square, ok?" After everyone say "ok", I move them 1 square, and nobody can make me backtrack this movement.

This fits with the Navigation ruling in official faq:

If a unit is crossing water with Navigation, but cannot end in water, and an opponent stops that unit's movement (e.g., Communism), what happens?
The unit stops in the water. Although a player may not be able to voluntarily stop in water, he can do so if forced.

What do you think about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PauloSantoro wrote:
"I will move the 3 flags from this square, ok?" After everyone say "ok", I move them 1 square, and nobody can make me backtrack this movement.

I would probably add "I will move the 3 armies TO this square (identifying which 3 armies)." Because the interrupting movement really means they can block you once they know your destination, but I agree you could do it square by square, which is better tactically for you, because if you do the whole move at once then they know where you want to go and can stop you in any square they want along they way. I mostly don't bother though, I just declare my move and if you can stop me I let you back me up as far as you want, just saves a lot of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think INTERRUPT and PREVENT are different things.

In the case you named, as soon as you said you would move the figures FROM that square I would be alert.

As soon as I see you are using your move to get into my city, I would INTERRUPT you in the middle of your move and say: "no you won't".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.