James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your best friend in Carrier is to follow the sequence of play player aid exactly. The programmed instruction scenarios do break the game up into very digestable chunks, and I suggest you go through them at a pace you feel comfortable with.

If I had the time, I would make a Boot Camp: RAF Lion - Illustrated Extended Example of Play session report like I did for RAF, but I don't have that time anymore, especially for an out-of-print game. Sorry, but to do a good one of those takes a lot of time. But if you ask questions, others and I will be glad to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChaseRussett wrote:
OK, so I know I picked a big one to jump into, but I always play solitaire and I taught myself Patton's Best, which I love. But this step thing is driving me crazy. i never really had a problem with PB, but these rules are really confusing me. On the other hand, I take great pride in printing on heavy cardboard and cutting out all of the pieces to play the game. My best friend printed and taped together a full size map that looks wonderful!

Where I am going here is I wish someone would put up an easier-to-understand combat instruction. Even better, a detailed session with the learning scenarios to teach those of us trying to grapple this on our own. I am a new BGG and really enjoy this site, and owe you all for exposing me to Carrier and other great games!!

Stick with it. The way to learn this game is to play each learning scenario and avoid the temptation to jump into the deep end of the pool right away. Takes time but the game is not really 'complicated'... it is just dense procedurally. As mentioned above... the turn sequence chart is your best friend. Some others have asked questions about step/step loss for the flights... and there is at least one detailed answer - as I recall - in the rules questions section that lays it out very clearly. Dig around and I am sure you will find your answers. Carrier takes a bit of an investment but the payoff is very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own this game for over 20 years and despite previous attempts am just now actually making progress (and enjoying) with it.

I've just completed scenario 3 and it actually gets easier if you keep on going!
Previously I'd plod through scenario 1 read rules for scenario 2 and then put it away for a year or two.
Now what rules I learn for one scenario I use again in the next one and find it much simpler to make progress.

So whatever you do keep at it work through step by step and you'll have a blast.

Oh and James great work on RAF thanks for that play example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this was my thoughts to. I had a problem getting my hands around the solitaire rules. I owned two copies of the game, and got rid of my players copy. At this point, I'm selling my mint copy. (Sadly, same thing happened with Tokyo Express)

However, it is such an awesome theater during WWII, as it has been one of my favorites. It was a tense time during the struggle. I use to love Flat Top, and this one fit my bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have to ask: what parts of the system do people find so confusing that they have a hard time playing the full game? I don't think I have time for a full illustrated example of play, but I might be able to cover some of the trickier aspects.

My first game was scenario 6. Those first 5 turns (20 rounds) or so were confusing, but eventually it clicked and saw how the different systems worked together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Poll
England
matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure ( If you have not done so already) that you download or print off "Tracking US air losses" by lexington and the 2 Dan Knaus Q&A / Errata posts which correct the paragraph referencing in the rulebook so that when it says go to section such and such you actually end up looking at the correct information.
Secondly i cant stress how important it is to use a cardboard marker to follow all the steps and sub steps on the player aid in order.
Thirdly i found that while learning the game (which took me months) it helped to take it in small steps and to reference the rulebook for almost every step on the player aid right from japanese arrival to the end of each phase, its slow to start with but i kept finding new litle bits of info which stuck in my mind after each new phase. Also it may help to play scenario six several times before moving on to the historical scenarios.
Fourth: Try not to think of air steps as a Random/ Abstract number of planes but as 2 planes. I find that this helps to visualise things. A full step is 2 a half step is 1. I know it helped me to think in this way instead of in the abstract.
Lastly just stick with it as its really worth it in the end, the number of great solitaire games around are limited so dont let this pass you by if you can help it and remember that loads of people on BGG myself included will help you in any way we can. P.S. The Japanese always beat me
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/635989/tracking-us-air-losse...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/327210/dan-knaus-questionans...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/327209/dan-knaus-special-err...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tornadojake wrote:
Make sure ( If you have not done so already) that you download or print off "Tracking US air losses" by lexington and the 2 Dan Knaus Q&A / Errata posts which correct the paragraph referencing in the rulebook so that when it says go to section such and such you actually end up looking at the correct information.
Secondly i cant stress how important it is to use a cardboard marker to follow all the steps and sub steps on the player aid in order.
Thirdly i found that while learning the game (which took me months) it helped to take it in small steps and to reference the rulebook for almost every step on the player aid right from japanese arrival to the end of each phase, its slow to start with but i kept finding new litle bits of info which stuck in my mind after each new phase. Also it may help to play scenario six several times before moving on to the historical scenarios.
Fourth: Try not to think of air steps as a Random/ Abstract number of planes but as 2 planes. I find that this helps to visualise things. A full step is 2 a half step is 1. I know it helped me to think in this way instead of in the abstract.
Lastly just stick with it as its really worth it in the end, the number of great solitaire games around are limited so dont let this pass you by if you can help it and remember that loads of people on BGG myself included will help you in any way we can. P.S. The Japanese always beat me

Stuart,

You didn't provide links or references for those downloads. I tried Web-Grognards and here on BGG but did not see the ""Tracking US air losses" by lexington and the 2 Dan Knaus Q&A / Errata" files.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Poll
England
matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Darksan, i am still a noob at this and links did not occur to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Always a good plan ... and just so you know, that's how I conquered the ASL rules and became a rules lawyer. ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad it worked out ... but many times, the game is new, and somebody ahs to be first ... that would be you. ;)

Doc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChaseRussett wrote:
Well, after many months...

Well sorry to hear that... of course you are right, tastes vary so not really a big deal for you. Good news is that it is a valuable game both monetarily and for trade purposes so you can turn it into something else more suited to you easily enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChaseRussett wrote:
Well, after many months and a severe swing over to Panzer Grenadier that has now taken over my life...I tried for a week to get this game. It drives me crazy...the rules are just so bad I cannot even remember where I was. After 5 days of messing with it, I finally remembered how to do everything I had learned before, but I stil had not learned the full standard game yet; only up to scenario 3.

The problem is now, I don't know how much I like the game after learning all of this. Games like PG and even Patton's Best (which is as chart heavy as carrier I'd think) flow so much better for me.

It's amazing how some games just click with a person and then some just don't...

Well, if you shelve Carrier to devote yourself to a completely different game, the teacher side of me is not terribly surprised you'd get stuck again. And while Patton's Best has about as many charts as Carrier, I think you're smart enough (most wargamers are) that you can understand charts; it's the game mechanics that are difficult to wrap your head around. Therefore the chart-iness comparison is, in my opinion, not relevant.

Again, if people have questions, I'd be glad to answer. I would write a Boot Camp-like guide for Carrier, but right now is the crunch time for finding a teaching job for the coming fall, so it will have to wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be careful.. Time moves fast. That was the reason I gave up playing ASL. I have way to many games that I never played because of ASL. That would be a shame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My pleasure Joe. I just wish I had more time to sink my teeth into this game. I bet I would have really enjoyed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.