Popular Tags: [View All]
Wesley Williams
United States
Capital Region
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the Terran player examine stacks of inverted counters in order to see whether or not the inverted sides have astericks on them? i.e. whether or not they are mobile units or static targets

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Off the top of my head I'd say yes, the idea of an inverted counter is you only know a target is there, not its type. OTOH, if there's only a single counter or if the top one is an asterisked one, you still get that info no matter what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Rob, do you mean, "No, you can't examine stack"? Otherwise, your answer and the qualification don't make much sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mjw65ss
United States
Monterey
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Terran player can look at inverted alien stacks he has his units on at the end of his movement phase or extended jump phase. You can fire a nuc or h.e. rocket at a stack in the ranged weapon phase to see what it is also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Williams
United States
Capital Region
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjw65ss wrote:
Terran player can look at inverted alien stacks he has his units on at the end of his movement phase or extended jump phase. You can fire a nuc or h.e. rocket at a stack in the ranged weapon phase to see what it is also.

My question was asking not whether or not the inverted counters' true identities would be disclosed (as they would in your example), but whether or not the Terran player can ascertain which counters, if any, in a stack of inverted units, are potential targets (i.e. critical installations and/or decoys - NOT units). Simply, can one look to see if any of the counters have asterisks on them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mjw65ss
United States
Monterey
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
"Simply, can one look to see if any of the counters have asterisks on them?"

In this case... no

The MI has to have units on the hex, or shoot at it in the ranged weapon phase to look and see if any of the counters have asterisks on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Elkins
United States
Richlands
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so it took me 5 months to respond.....that's about par.

Can the Terran player check an inverted stack to see if any of the counters are asterisked (ie. installations or decoys)? The answer has to be YES. The rulebook makes it clear that the game is a simulation of the novel. The inverted counters rule is intended to reflect the MI trooper's general difficulty in distinguishing warrior from worker (both Skinnies and Bugs) until one side fires at the other...as in the novel. Chapter 1 of the novel also refers to Rico wondering if an installation in the distance is a water tower or some worthless structure (ie. "decoy"). After multiple readings of the novel, I can tell you with confidence that there is NO instance where the MI confuses workers (or warriors) and Water Towers (or Power Plants or etc.). If you weren't allowed to check for the presence of asterisked counters (installations), there would be no need to put asterisks on any of the counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lynch
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that you are correct. If you have a stack of several humanoid or bug counters, you can shuffle through the counters *face down* and look at them in an unrevealed state (the backs). Obviously, you can not turn them over and look at the unit info unless you are in the hex.

But here is a question I have….when the humanoid or bug player fires a beam weapon or missile at a Terrain unit, would you have to reveal the firing unit? After all there’s no mistaking a beam weapon for anything else once it gives away its position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Elkins
United States
Richlands
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the delay in responding, but I didn't want to say anything until I could dig-out my copy of the rules.

Technically, the firing unit is not revealed. However, I would argue that the Terran player should know which hex the ranged attack came from. Didn't see where or if that was explicitly stated in the rules...but it seems reasonable to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Haggerty
United States
flag msg tools
fortyfiverevolutions wrote:

But here is a question I have….when the humanoid or bug player fires a beam weapon or missile at a Terrain unit, would you have to reveal the firing unit? After all there’s no mistaking a beam weapon for anything else once it gives away its position.

This is asked in the "Question Box" of issue 136 of The General, the SST cover issue (it's in the Files section here).

The answer is that Alien heavy weapons units that fire are revealed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.