Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Is there any issue? Maybe I already read something about it, but don't remember for sure. For the matter of city management, it's easier if you can do this only in this phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kingsley
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understamd the reasoning either. We always assign scouts during city management too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
There are resource abilities that allow a player to cancel another player's City Action. So, if you assigned your Scout to, say, your Capital (and got 2 hammers) and I deny you that action, you cannot re-assign the Scout to another City anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thank you! There are good points...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sabotage could also affect the build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
After 3 years and dozens of games, I must say it's not that much effective to keep this rule.

Usually we forget to do this in Start of turn and, when we remember, we lose a lot of time trying to think ahead in order to link each scout. Also it's very rare that such things happen.

I think it would be much easier, and not detrimental, if we just link the scouts during City Management.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bli bla
msg tools
mbmb
PauloSantoro wrote:
After 3 years and dozens of games, I must say it's not that much effective to keep this rule.

Usually we forget to do this in Start of turn and, when we remember, we lose a lot of time trying to think ahead in order to link each scout. Also it's very rare that such things happen.

I think it would be much easier, and not detrimental, if we just link the scouts during City Management.

You lose the Trade the Scout can give if you assign during CM ^^.There is also the Resource you can harvest at SoT with Feudalism. But in 90% of cases, when it's about hammer it's clear it's way easier to "assign" during CM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Wolf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Itchi wrote:
PauloSantoro wrote:

You lose the Trade the Scout can give if you assign during CM ^^.There is also the Resource you can harvest at SoT with Feudalism. But in 90% of cases, when it's about hammer it's clear it's way easier to "assign" during CM.

You would gather the trade independent of what city the scout is assigned to, with feudalism its the same as it doesn't affect the city action the city can do. So I'm with Paulo here, this is a very stupid rule as it is way to complicated for the little effect it has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bli bla
msg tools
mbmb
CJWF wrote:
Itchi wrote:
PauloSantoro wrote:

You would gather the trade independent of what city the scout is assigned to, with feudalism its the same as it doesn't affect the city action the city can do. So I'm with Paulo here, this is a very stupid rule as it is way to complicated for the little effect it has.

Yep, still you have to be aware that you cannot harvest twice the same square.

In PBF it's easy to keep track of Scout assignement, but in real game I'm agree it's stupid. That's why I always played assignement during CM too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Wolf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Case closed, I propose you put this as a **rule in you summary Itchi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bli bla
msg tools
mbmb
CJWF wrote:
Case closed, I propose you put this as a **rule in you summary Itchi

Nope as it's main rule and it haves its importance about when you build the Scout.
A Scout built during SoT can be assigned while a Scout built during CM cannot.
Still it's such very rare cases, but the main rule haves to stand even if the usual way to handle this in real is to "assign" during CM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Wolf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
don't you mark proposed variants with two stars? I think it could be helpful for other players to know how people in general think about this rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bli bla
msg tools
mbmb
CJWF wrote:
don't you mark proposed variants with two stars? I think it could be helpful for other players to know how people in general think about this rule.

Oh yes it could be proposed as variant. Still the new version will have to wait for at least 10 or more issues. Atm I got only a few, but one huge that will probably change a ruling. Will appear s00n in game 129. Chul found it, it's such a rare case ^^.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. H. Horatio
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
The Future is a Game
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to build under scouts during CM. I assigned the square during SoT, but when it gets to CM, the contents of the square are different. Exact opposite of drought under a scout square.

I thought the SoT rule was important mainly because you can't build a scout, then immediately assign its square to another city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
"Where are you from?" "Long story. The Pacific Ocean, I guess."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assigning scouts in the SoT phase seems silly given that it will be difficult for players in a 4-player game to remember where everyone assigned their scouts anyway. Which page of the rule book was the rule on, by the way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
jhoratio wrote:
I thought the SoT rule was important mainly because you can't build a scout, then immediately assign its square to another city.

The rules make it clear that scouts don't gather until the turn after they were placed on the map anyway.

Mythdracon wrote:
Assigning scouts in the SoT phase seems silly given that it will be difficult for players in a 4-player game to remember where everyone assigned their scouts anyway. Which page of the rule book was the rule on, by the way?

Page 26, under "Scout Gathering".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.