United States
North Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
Q
badge
Q
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I just finished playing scenario 5 (Fortress Primus), and I had a couple rules clarifications that I couldn't find answers to.

First - can you really stop the missile launch by just doing 6 damage to the missile floor element? It seems much easier than trying to shut the power down (which is only a temporary reprieve anyways). (Thematically, it also seems strange that by doing 6 damage to the powered up missiles that they are now completely destroyed, don't block LOS and you can walk on those spaces - yet no damage occurs to anyone standing in the room.)

Second - does the NORAD player have to actually exit the map to score points for any of the retrieve mission items objectives? I ended up pulling off a Salemite win by just blocking the doorway out of the building with my characters on the beginning of the 6th turn. My wife had enough items to win the game and was in no danger of being killed by me, but there was just no way with her character CP limit that she could get off the map by the end of the turn. She could either spend them all trying to kill me with none left for movement, or run for another exit but not make it quite off the map. As far as we could tell from the rules I technically won, but it seemed like a really lame victory since she would have only needed a few more movement points to be off the map if not limited by the arbitrary 6 turn limit.

Thanks for your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
"In loving memory of Mariel."
mb
Ah, family gaming rocks (^_^) Your questions:

1, A: Yes, 6 damage ruins 10MP. It is that "easy", but the chances of Norad actually getting there, especially if Salemite deploys there, is really slim.
1, B: I don't think the missile itself is destroyed, but the aparatus that allows for safe launch. If we were blowing up the missile, I'd think it would explode and take out a good chunk of the facility (^_-)

2, A: Yes, Norad must exit to earn their MP.
2, B: Blocking the Norad exit and "waiting for the turns to wind down" hasn't happened in our games. I wouldn't worry about "technical wins". You won! Norad HAS to blow through Toys R Us and grab what they can and get out. Of all the scenarios we've played, we think this one is the hardest on Norad (especially since searching is SO luck driven and this team isn't exactly specializing in searching).

Our Salemite strategy: Of course, we've found that the "moneymakers" for Salemite are the quick missile launch, and then scrambling around and "twitting" (using the laptop) in a group. The Salemite/Scooby gang then hustles around raising the dead (necroing threads, we're sure).

Our Norad strategy: When I play Norad, I hang around the officer/tech sections or head straight for the armory (adjacent to the missile), load up, and then go Salemite hunting (feeling peckish on those days). We find focusing on one or the other leads to the most success and tension in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quint Wheeler
United States
North Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
Q
badge
Q
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input. From a rules point of view I assume you're right. It just seemed odd to me.

awakeneddragon wrote:

1, A: Yes, 6 damage ruins 10MP. It is that "easy", but the chances of Norad actually getting there, especially if Salemite deploys there, is really slim.

With 3 doors (and one of then a double), I found it hard to stop them from getting to the missiles (or at least getting LOS to them) without deploying all my characters there. Maybe that's what I should have done though. I only put Deeler in the missile room. I started Kendall locked inside the secret safe room with the laptop, and he was able to use it every turn until turn 5 when she finally got through to him.

awakeneddragon wrote:

1, B: I don't think the missile itself is destroyed, but the aparatus that allows for safe launch. If we were blowing up the missile, I'd think it would explode and take out a good chunk of the facility (^_-)

That is the way I thought about it - until I put the destroyed markers on the 6 squares and was able to walk over it and have it not block LOS. I don't really want to complain about it though. There has to be a trade off between a more realistic simulation and too much rules complexity, and it's probably better to keep this tile consistent with the others.

awakeneddragon wrote:

2, A: Yes, Norad must exit to earn their MP.
2, B: Blocking the Norad exit and "waiting for the turns to wind down" hasn't happened in our games. I wouldn't worry about "technical wins". You won! Norad HAS to blow through Toys R Us and grab what they can and get out. Of all the scenarios we've played, we think this one is the hardest on Norad (especially since searching is SO luck driven and this team isn't exactly specializing in searching).

Our Salemite strategy: Of course, we've found that the "moneymakers" for Salemite are the quick missile launch, and then scrambling around and "twitting" (using the laptop) in a group. The Salemite/Scooby gang then hustles around raising the dead (necroing threads, we're sure).

Our Norad strategy: When I play Norad, I hang around the officer/tech sections or head straight for the armory (adjacent to the missile), load up, and then go Salemite hunting (feeling peckish on those days). We find focusing on one or the other leads to the most success and tension in the game.

My wife did a lot of successful searching and ended up with every one of the mission objective items. The problem was that she had to forgo taking many weapons to get them all in time, so she had a hard time killing me. I agree that if she had taken weapons instead of mission items and then just tried to kill me then the game would have played out very differently. (I may be wrong, but I don't think the scenario gave her any points for killing my characters though.) I still think that if Norad goes for a mission item strategy it seems way too easy to make them lose by avoiding them and then blocking their exits from the building on the last turn. We probably just need to play it a few more times though :) Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van den Broeck
Belgium
Zwijndrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to play this scenario next time.

I was wondering though: in order to retrieve equipment, the norad player has to leave the dungeon with it. Does that mean that also the character is no longer in de the dungeon? Because that would mean that he only can retrieve three items (therefore winning only 15 MP)...

Is this a correct interpretation? Or can a character let the equipment leave the dungeon without actually leaving itself??

Thx for the info.

P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quint Wheeler
United States
North Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
Q
badge
Q
mbmbmbmbmb
That is my understanding - you have to leave the map to get the points, and if you leave the map you are out of the game. Each character can carry more than 1 item though (depending on weight) - so you can get more than 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.