Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the morons that run SyFy - fine purveyors of shows about wrasslin and folks filmed with night vision getting scared with funny noises - announced that they are cancelling Eureka.

I know, it's not the best sci fi on TV. But it is entertaining in it's own way. Now, this show is one of the highest rated on the network. And they are giving it the axe. Why? To make room for more ghost hunting crap?

They killed off the Stargate franchise. They killed Farscape. They passed on Firefly when Fox offered them the license. They still have Haven - which I think stinks (and not very sci fi), and Warehouse 13 - which I liked in the first season, now it's just crap. They passed on Torchwood, and the rights to air Doctor Who in America.

I have read that we are going into a new year where there is not one single space opera type show on TV, that isn't in reruns. Doctor Who is the only thing that comes close. But that is it. No more shows about outer space.

What the hell? Is sci fi dead? Are we reduced to nothing but shows of zombies and vampires? And the 800 different CSI shows?

Am I missing a show or 3? Can someone tell me that there is some sci fi to be had out there - on TV or on the web?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Falling Skies.

It's not great, but it's mildly watchable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
Well first off, don't knock the re-runs. Some of them are the best TV you'll find.

Outside of that, you’re absolutely correct. For the moment, and hopefully only the moment, the options for science fiction fans look fairly grim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Sci Fi just sort of ended for me after Babylon 5. Sure there was Farscape, Stargate, but nothing else really matches up. Space opera is dead.

EDIT: If you happen across any more decent scifi, please post it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm pouring all of my points in sarcasm.
badge
Box next to hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect that the reason lies in the fact that shows like Eureka, Farscape and Stargate cost significantly more, and cuts into their profit margin.

By contrast, you could pay someone modestly to put on night goggles and pretend to hunt ghosts and goblins. Add some eerie music, edit the film so that they don't look TOO moronic, and voila!

It's the same idea behind "reality" TV shows, I guess. It's all a steaming pile of shit that I refuse to watch. But there are many who love it, so there ya go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Billythehut wrote:
Well first off, don't knock the re-runs. Some of them are the best TV you'll find.

Outside of that, you’re absolutely correct. For the moment, and hopefully only the moment, the options for science fiction fans look fairly grim.

Oh, I am not knocking the reruns. I watch them all the time. It's the only way to get a good fix of what I am looking for.

And it is all about money. Eureka is being cancelled because Comcast, who owns Syfy, has decided that even though it is the highest rated show on the network, with about 2 to 3 million viewers per episode, it just costs too much to make.

Well, less time with TV means more time reading books.

Oh, and this means that this will be the first time in 20 years that there hasn't been a space opera type show on the box. It's not like it was a brief fad, there is obviously an audience for this kind of thing.

Wait, I did some more reading. It's more like 33 or so years that there has always been some kind of new sci fi / space opera show on TV.

This is depressing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Warehouse 13 doesn't count as Sci-Fi, much less good?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
Warehouse 13 doesn't count as Sci-Fi, much less good?

I like Warehouse 13, but I consider it more steampunk-ish than Sci-Fi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
My kingdom for another Star Trek series!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warehouse 13 is sci fi, and a bit of fantasy rolled into one.

The first season was good. The second and third seasons have really gotten progressively crappier. The Claudia character never should have been made into a regular, I want to fast forward through every scene she is in - and that episode they just had about being in a "video game" was horrid.

They really could have done some really great TV, but the whole series has turned into a campy cheeseball. I wish that they had left in some of the more serious tone and mystery from the first season.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
KSensei wrote:
I can only imagine how badly this would be botched if it were to be tried. i have zero faith in anything good being attached to the Trek name ever again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
KSensei wrote:
I can only imagine how badly this would be botched if it were to be tried. i have zero faith in anything good being attached to the Trek name ever again.

You didn't like the 2009 movie?

I thought it was excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I think Warehouse 13 falls under Sci Fi. There's not really a need to have sub divisions IMHO. I watch it, but it's not the greatest.

As for Eureka, I really enjoy and am disappointed that they are cancelling it.

When they cancelled Stargate Universe, my 17 year old son blocked the channel. He only recently unblocked it so that we can watch Eureka and Warehouse 13. I was joking with him the other day, asking if Warhouse 13 was enough for him not to block it again. His statement the first time was that he'd unblock it when they started showing scifi again.

After all the changed there name to SyFy and with that they stopped being a scifi channel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
KSensei wrote:

Not to side track the thread, but as a Star Trek fan, I was offended by that abomination. It was good scifi though and would have enjoyed it much more if it was marketed as Galaxy Quest 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thomas
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fringe seems to be interesting to me and they do not seemed worried about using terms that the average non-SF fan would not know. I would like to se B5 come back in some form, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Television is sanitized for the common denominator... not just sci-fi, all of television.

I have checked out one episode of this online only "sci-fi" production series Futurestates and it was OK.

http://futurestates.tv/

The one episode was funny because it was escape from USA where a man tries to leave the crime ridden USA to cross the border to Mexico. I want to go back and check out the one with Werner Herzog (which it was through him that I discovered this show).

Quote:
This short film by American director Ramin Bahrani (Goodbye Solo) traces the epic, existential journey of a plastic bag (voiced by Werner Herzog) searching for its lost maker, the woman who took it home from the store and eventually discarded it. Along the way, it encounters strange creatures, experiences love in the sky, grieves the loss of its beloved maker, and tries to grasp its purpose in the world.

In the end, the wayward plastic bag wafts its way to the ocean, into the tides, and out into the Pacific Ocean trash vortex — a promised nirvana where it will settle among its own kind and gradually let the memories of its maker slip away.

Obviously, some political bent here... but one of my favorite shorts stories is told by a shed (Victor Pelevin, Shed #13)... the idea of Herzog as a plastic bag is intriguing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think warehouse 13 is a comedy of the friday the 13th series. Replacing cursed objects with artifacts. But what about Sanctuary? it's still on isn't it? It's kind of like league of extraordinary gentlemen in a way. It could be so much better, but it's something. Alphas is pretty good. but it's more superhero-y than sci-fi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Rishi wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
KSensei wrote:

You didn't like the 2009 movie?

I thought it was excellent.
It was fine. It just wasn't Star Trek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Echo2112 wrote:
So the morons that run SyFy - fine purveyors of shows about wrasslin and folks filmed with night vision getting scared with funny noises - announced that they are cancelling Eureka.

I know, it's not the best sci fi on TV. But it is entertaining in it's own way. Now, this show is one of the highest rated on the network. And they are giving it the axe. Why? To make room for more ghost hunting crap?

They killed off the Stargate franchise. They killed Farscape. They passed on Firefly when Fox offered them the license. They still have Haven - which I think stinks (and not very sci fi), and Warehouse 13 - which I liked in the first season, now it's just crap. They passed on Torchwood, and the rights to air Doctor Who in America.

I have read that we are going into a new year where there is not one single space opera type show on TV, that isn't in reruns. Doctor Who is the only thing that comes close. But that is it. No more shows about outer space.

What the hell? Is sci fi dead? Are we reduced to nothing but shows of zombies and vampires? And the 800 different CSI shows?

Am I missing a show or 3? Can someone tell me that there is some sci fi to be had out there - on TV or on the web?

The reason shows get canceled is due to ratings. If enough people watched the show it wouldn't be canceled. Easy enough.

I don't watch a lot of TV but this seems to be somewhat elementary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is I don't call it SyFy. I call it Sigh-fy.

And try watching British TV. Seriously. The new Doctor Who is wonderful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rygel wrote:
That is I don't call it SyFy. I call it Sigh-fy.

And try watching British TV. Seriously. The new Doctor Who is wonderful.

It never gets better than city of the dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
terra nova looks promising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
terra nova looks promising.

Fingers crossed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thomas
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terra Nova lookes interesting but given that I heard that the producers are not worried that sending people into the past could change history. They said that they would work around it. I hope that this becomes more than Grey's Anatony meets Jurassic Park.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Tabara
United States
Bloomington
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sica wrote:

Sci Fi just sort of ended for me after Babylon 5. Sure there was Farscape, Stargate, but nothing else really matches up. Space opera is dead.

EDIT: If you happen across any more decent scifi, please post it here.

100% seconded!!

I think the answer is quite simple: no scripts with a good story.

There, I said it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.