Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Homesteader’s Union:
- Owner Benefit: Owner may launch their colonies from the sixth circle of the Colonist
Hub track.
- Facility Benefit: Player advances their colony one space on Colonist Hub track.

To use the facility benefit, a player must dock a ship and pay the owner one fuel. Isn't that benefit strictly worse than just adding another die to the Colonist Hub? Or is it just that you can now advance 4 spaces/turn? That still seems underpowered - usually there is something better to do with 4 dice...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, seems to me that is the only benefit... if you have already placed three die on the colonist track, you can move the marker one more spot by putting a die here and paying one fuel. Sometimes that could be the difference between placing the colonist this round or the next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sayburr wrote:
Yeah, seems to me that is the only benefit... if you have already placed three die on the colonist track, you can move the marker one more spot by putting a die here and paying one fuel. Sometimes that could be the difference between placing the colonist this round or the next.

Yup, exactly...and if you happen to control Asimov then it's a 5th advance, and, since the faction allows you to launch from the 6th circle, the faction owner can ALMOST land a colony per turn with only four ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Freels
Australia
Rooty Hill (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CleverMojo wrote:

Yup, exactly...and if you happen to control Asimov then it's a 5th advance, and, since the faction allows you to launch from the 6th circle, the faction owner can ALMOST land a colony per turn with only four ships.

I played Homesteaders. The other players allowed me to claim Asimov and an Orbital Teleporter. Game was over with me victorious while everyone else was yawning into their morning coffee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spittledung wrote:
CleverMojo wrote:

I played Homesteaders. The other players allowed me to claim Asimov and an Orbital Teleporter. Game was over with me victorious while everyone else was yawning into their morning coffee.

To be fair, that's less a flaw in the game and more a flaw in the gameplay of the folks at your table. We had something similar happen in our plays but that was more a "let's see what happens if we don't stop this" sort of scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya, you gotta keep an eye on the other players in Factions if you don't want to get stomped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Freels
Australia
Rooty Hill (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:

To be fair, that's less a flaw in the game and more a flaw in the gameplay of the folks at your table. We had something similar happen in our plays but that was more a "let's see what happens if we don't stop this" sort of scenario.

I never claimed it to be a flaw. Rather, it was a strength, and one of the things I really enjoy about the Factions expansion.

Every Faction has a way of becoming "super" in ability if left unchecked. Part of the fun of Factions is finding ways to become stronger while sticking your fingers in other player's pies.

Homesteaders is one of the less subtle Factions. Chris thought that it was underpowered, and now people see the benefit. Many of the other factions are more subtle in use. And if you walk away from the table during downtime, you may return saying "How did that happen?!"

I am as excited as David about the Factions release, and have been restraining myself from expressing my enjoyment of this expansion and not giving away too much.

My hype is that if you play AF a great deal and are looking for more, definitely get this expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Graham
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I am Broccoli, most intelligent vegetable!
badge
I will destroy you all!
mbmbmbmbmb
CleverMojo wrote:
Sayburr wrote:

Add in an Orbital Teleporter, and you CAN launch with 5 ships, or 4 and a stockpile of energy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.