Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Copac
United States
Hudson
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing solo for the first time before trying to teach to a group this weekend. I just wanted to make sure my thinking was correct with regards to determination tokens and attribute tests.

For example, I'm in the Catacombs and draw the Vampire threat card. It states "Test Agility or Armor (whichever is lower). If you fail, suffer 1 wound and keep this card. At the start of each of your turns, suffer 1 wound and continue your turn as normal. Discard this card if you exit Dragonfire Dungeon."

In this specific case, if I fail the attribute test, I wouldn't get a determination token, correct? My understanding is you get determination tokens if you fail an attribute test that you will be forced to try again next turn. In this case, I would only attempt the attribute test one time, and if I fail, I would just take the 1 wound hit until I got out, correct?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also think that in this exact case, you would not get determination tokens, since it;s not an "ongoing" test.

Good question though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree that you would not get a determination token for the vampire. Each test on this card is self-contained that you happen to have to make every turn.

But you can get determination tokens for tests that you aren't forced to attempt again. If you try to open a gate and fail, you get a determination token to help you try to open that same gate again next turn. But if you walk to another room to try a different gate, you're not re-attempting the same skill check, you're attempting a separate check and therefore the determination token no longer applies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Copac
United States
Hudson
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically as long as you continue to attempt and fail an attribute test, you'll get a determination token. Once you succeed, if it's a one time attribute test, or decide to attempt something besides the same exact attribute test, you give back all determination tokens prior to doing anything further?

does that sound like a decent way to summarize it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to note is with the Ferrox; each time you "succeed" against the Ferrox, you reset your Determination Tokens. Rolling a 6 for their life can be especially deadly if you have low Strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Copac
United States
Hudson
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your replies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.