Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, I am seriously considering buying this game but have one question that will make my decision easier (or harder). The people I play with the most often had a hard time picking up Puerto Rico. I taught them Macao and that seemed to be the max complexity they could deal with. So is Navegador easier to understand than Puerto Rico? Is the game play fairly intuitive? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen
United Kingdom
Burton on trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think its a little bit smoother than puerto rico and it certainly feels a bit easier to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it would be about the same as Puerto Rico.

When I've taught Navegador, there's usually a few things that people find hard to grasp - particularly how the market works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, another random comparison needed. El grande, 6 rounds takes my group about and hour and a half, while Macao takess about 2 hours. How long would Navegador take?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they're all somewhat similar in terms of difficulty, although Puerto Rico strategy is more subtle and the game flow isn't quite as clear. In those terms, it may be a bit trickier to learn. I think Navegador is more closely tied to the theme which makes teaching it a bit easier, plus players only have a few choices per turn (although those choices change every turn) due to the rondel.

In that respect, Navegador is probably slightly easier than Puerto Rico. Navegador does have several paths to victory. It's generally best to focus on what others are NOT doing.

I love Macao, really like Navegador, and think Puerto Rico is okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:

When I've taught Navegador, there's usually a few things that people find hard to grasp - particularly how the market works.

I agree that it's about on par with Puerto Rico in terms of difficulty level.

For what it's worth, users of this site have given Puerto Rico an average game weight of 3.3 and Navegador an average game weight of 3.0. Personally, I've given them both a 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:

Yes, the market can be a bit tricky. But I think you can pick it up as the game goes....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlG wrote:
Sorry, another random comparison needed. El grande, 6 rounds takes my group about and hour and a half, while Macao takess about 2 hours. How long would Navegador take?

This is tough to predict, but based on the information you've shared I'd guess about 2 hours or maybe a bit longer (especially the first play). My last play of Navegador with four people (all gamers) two who had played before and two hadn't took about 1.5 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And the length of the game can vary a lot depending on if a lot of people are using an exploring strategy....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, this has been helpful. First plays are always really slow with my main group. I think from what you all have said I will buy Navegador and will introduce it when everyone is feeling sharp and feeling like something new.

This group has predominately played Settlers and Alhambra but due to my desire for change I've tried to introduce more. 3 out of the 4 of us don't mind new games but one is resistant to change. So far El Grande got negative reviews, Macao mostly positive, Stone Age split, and thurn and taxis split. To be honest I can't read my own group at all! Oh Also TTR was split and Carcasonne was negative...who are these people!?!?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam K
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlG wrote:

So 2h needed for Macao and 1,5h for 64% of El Grande... That would be:

2h and 37 min

arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haha, I have never been able to play a real game of El Grande yet because of it!! One day.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience Nav is easier to teach than PR. In PR it's quite overwhelming because you have to explain most of the buildings from the start. No such thing in Navegador.
Both games play fairly smooth in my book. And both games offer a good amount of tactical depth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.