Popular Tags: [View All]
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When players shoot at bad guys is there a die roll or something, or more of a stat comparison thing happening?

I haven't read much about the game but I am curious about how they implemented this part of the game system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I understand its a die roll kinda similar to doom/descent so to speak.

your cards are the players hitpoints which is a neat mechanic but according to drakkenstrikes vid review the combat lacks depth and is more leaning towards luck (not necessarily a bad thing! zombie dice anyone? )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boze wrote:
From what I understand its a die roll kinda similar to doom/descent so to speak.

your cards are the players hitpoints which is a neat mechanic but according to drakkenstrikes vid review the combat lacks depth and is more leaning towards luck (not necessarily a bad thing! zombie dice anyone? )

Well, zombie dice has a push your luck mechanic, in GoW you roll black dice which are attack dice and red dice, which are defense dice, the subtract the hits gained with the attack dice from the shields, gained from the defense dice, and have that many wounds.

You determine how many attack dice you roll, depending on the weapon and how much ammo you have, defense by the distance, if the target is behind small cover or heavy cover.

It is luck based, but nothing unseen in any war-game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-M
msg tools
You roll attack dice based off of your weapon, modified by things like range, action cards played and extra ammo used. The defender rolls dice based off of their defense, plus bonuses for cover (light or heavy) and sometimes cards as well. Subtract the defense total from the offense total, and you have the damage done. While yes it is based on die rolling, that doesn't mean it's all luck. Individual shots are, yes, but that's the case with the vast majority of wargames. Unless you are an anomaly, it'll balance out as you play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_gecko wrote:
You roll attack dice based off of your weapon, modified by things like range, action cards played and extra ammo used. The defender rolls dice based off of their defense, plus bonuses for cover (light or heavy) and sometimes cards as well. Subtract the defense total from the offense total, and you have the damage done. While yes it is based on die rolling, that doesn't mean it's all luck. Individual shots are, yes, but that's the case with the vast majority of wargames. Unless you are an anomaly, it'll balance out as you play.

I do want to clarify one thing real quick, though: range doesn't subtract black dice, it adds red dice. This is important because it means even at a massive range, it's still possible to deal damage if the defender is unlucky, and on average a black die does more damage than what a red die blocks.

(One of the FFG demo guys at GenCon was doing it the other way around by mistake; apparently it was -1 black die for range in playtesting.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boze wrote:

your cards are the players hitpoints which is a neat mechanic but according to drakkenstrikes vid review the combat lacks depth and is more leaning towards luck (not necessarily a bad thing! zombie dice anyone? :) )

No zombie dice for me. Thanks. :P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the_gecko wrote:

I enjoyed Arkham and it has dice combat. I think I especially like dice based systems when you can attempt to get modifiers to improve your luck. Stone Age, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think its important to mention that although there are dice to roll for combat, you frequently can stack the odds in your favor whether on offense or defense. This isn't a pure luck combat mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Selurevad wrote:
I think its important to mention that although there are dice to roll for combat, you frequently can stack the odds in your favor whether on offense or defense. This isn't a pure luck combat mechanic.

And when you are playing a board game that is based on first person shooters, generally you expect there to be a way to handle whether someone will cause damage or not from a barrage of bullets.

Randomness provided by die rolls usually works well.

It could be nice/logical/interesting that if you were firing a bunch of shots at a target in a row (with certain types of guns) that your aim/odds improve by +1 each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Higdon
United States
madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boze wrote:
according to drakkenstrikes vid review the combat lacks depth and is more leaning towards luck (not necessarily a bad thing! zombie dice anyone? )

I din't necessarily agree with this part of the review. It's not going to win the award for deepst combat system ever, but there are important choices to make during the combat. What weapon to use, what locust to target, whether to expend ammo, etc. are all decisions that need to be made.

One rule that a lot of people seem to be missing is that you must have an ammo token on a weapon (except the pistol)to fire it (and not just to overkill). This makes a huge difference when you can't use your heavier weapons until you get more ammo or lose the weapon altogether (in the case of special weapons).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.