jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really need a new game but what's a birthday without a new game?

I've been doing some research and Merchants and Marauders seems awesome despite the fact that I usually play games either solo or with 1 other player and it seems a little long to my liking. Sometimes I get to play with more but it is rare. The game feels like it can be modified without much sacrifice.

I love theme and some element of randomness because it makes solo play more feasible. Games under 90 minutes are ideal as they are more likely to be played but exceptions can be made for awesomeness

Based on my game list, is there any game I should be really be getting instead? Right now I feel pretty good about Merchants and Marauders...

Provence
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own M&M, if you dont like too many rules i would avoid it. You need a group of 3-4 players that like board game or M&M will take the dust in your closet. It's a fun game, not a competitive game.

If you like pirates and adventure and have at least 2 friend who are board game geek, it worth it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Collins
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
M&M is a pretty awesome game, but yes, it is rule heavy. This game blew me away the first couple of plays, but once I got to 6 or 7 games I started noticing some minor flaws, in particular the stagnancy of the NPC ships. Despite this, it's still one of my favorites and there's plenty variants to complicate things even more.
Looking at some of the types of games you play, my suggestions would be Alien Frontiers (easy to learn, plenty strategy, plenty fun....one of my favorites), or if you are a fan of Agricola, check out Le Havre. I play this one lots with my girlfriend, it's great with 2 players. If theme is your thing, check out Cyclades...it's killer. And an expansion is due out soon. I bought M&M and Cyclades at the same time and it's difficult to decide which one is better. Pirates or Greek Gods? Hmmm. Whatever you decide, have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...maybe the groups I play with are too friendly, but I think I'd like M&M better with fewer players - the downtime is what I dislike most about it. Sure, the PvP stuff might be a little out of whack with fewer players, but I see that so rarely that it wouldn't bother me much to lose. It's certainly the best pirate game I know, even if it's not perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps you might want to consider Space Hulk: Death Angel the card game instead?

It's fun, thematic, and can be played solo, but also up to 6. Playtime is under 90 minutes.

I would recommend Carson City, but it looks like you already own it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Knight Games
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've recently been getting into Merchants & Marauders - 2-player only so far - and we've really enjoyed it. It's rare that a new game gets played several evenings in a row. We haven't experienced the 'NPC stagnation' described - it's true that they don't seem to move much and are easy to avoid, but when a new captain is drawn, an NPC ship can suddenly catapault across the board and end up next to your sea zone.

The first game took us ages (rules-heavy), but subsequent games have been much quicker. We've started to feel that the game is too short and we're thinking about playing for more Glory Points.

It is very thematic and you can get quite fond of your captain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.