flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EPSOM GAMES CLUB
GAME PLAYING DAY

Saturday September 17th
from 10:30 until 18:30 23:00

ADMISSION IS FREE

Epsom Games Club was formed late last year and is already a well attended Thursday evenings club.

We think that the venue we have found is so well suited to game playing that we are holding our nineth gaming day.

We will be at the usual venue of

Royal British Legion
Federation House
21 West Street
EPSOM
Surrey
KT18 7RL

The venue is a few minutes walk from Epsom mainline station. Beware - the revenue protection officers seem to live at Epsom station and are ruthless about inflicting penalty fares!

The RBL does allow people to bring in food (they do not normally provide any over the weekend) and there are also many places to eat within easy walking distance.

Drinks are very well priced and there is no need to become a member to play games or obtain drinks at the event.

We will use an open gaming format although many use the game days to play some of the longer (time wise) games in their collections, especially some of the war games or longer 18xx games.

For myself, I tend to prefer Euro style games, and those at the "lighter" end of the gaming spectrum and will bring several along with me, but please feel free to bring along any of your games you wish to play.

This event is open to anyone of any age who appreciates playing boardgames (and card games!) but we do ask that all children are accompanied, but this has to be by an adult who has beaten them by at least one game recently!

Our game playing exploits are recorded on games played at Epsom Gamers.

If this sounds like fun, but you think you may not know the games that will be on offer to play do not worry, people are always prepared to teach beginners - how do you think we learnt to play them?

Please feel free to use this forum to post questions regarding the event or to organise game playing in advance if you would like to.

There is very limited free parking at the venue. Even though the venue is at the edge of the town, due to the proximity of the station, the area has parking restrictions on the street by the RBL in force until 18:30. There are also several privately enforced parking places in the area - please do not park illegally or else you could (probably will) get a penalty notice and that will put a dampener on the day for you! Please use the car parks (fee payable) or other nearby on-street parking.

Please use this list to ask any questions, let us know that you are intending to attend, to arrange any games you would like to play or for any other relevant matter.

Look forward to seeing you there.

*** STOP PRESS *** 09SEP11 Apparently the evening event has been cancelled, so we can play for the whole night!

[To see who attended and the games played, check out the entry in our Guilds games played].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Agius
United Kingdom
Brentford
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be there, it's about time we played Kaivai so I'll just bring it and set it up straight away to avoid it being left on the side again,

I'll check to see if there are any 1 player rules if no-one else joins

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
agius1520 wrote:
... it's about time we played Kaivai

Not heard of it! Is this one of those games bought that you can get no-one else to play? I have a few of those as well that I might bring along... soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Agius
United Kingdom
Brentford
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
geocentrix wrote:
agius1520 wrote:
... it's about time we played Kaivai

Not heard of it! Is this one of those games bought that you can get no-one else to play? I have a few of those as well that I might bring along... soblue

Okay...but mine first

It's supposed to be a very good game, its just the box is an awkward size and I need to re-read the rules to make sure I know what i'm doing before trying to teach it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Sutherland
United Kingdom
(just) West of London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if it is going to be a day of playing games that have yet to be played from games owned, I will do a list..... blush

And bring Vikings and "the Egyptian game" as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jazzuu wrote:
Well, if it is going to be a day of playing games that have yet to be played ... And bring Vikings and "the Egyptian game" as well.

No, no ... we should only play games that have been played fewer than 3 times. I /think/ that rules out Egizia...

Anyone for Civilization (the orginal Tresham version)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Sutherland
United Kingdom
(just) West of London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Egizia less than three times (this month!)

And I have come last each time! soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Sutherland
United Kingdom
(just) West of London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jazzuu wrote:
Well, if it is going to be a day of playing games that have yet to be played from games owned, I will do a list..... blush

Here is the list of some of the games that I have obtained but not yet managed to play.

Anyone want to teach me how to play any of them?

Fifth Avenue

Cavum

Ice Flow

Key West

Valdora

Nefertiti

Assyria

Sylla

Royal Palace

Rum & Pirates

Masters of Venice

König von Siam

Key Market

Antics!

Havana

Hansa

Hansa Teutonica

Wadi

Montego Bay

Carson City

Bargain Hunter

Gheos

Phoenicia

Fresco

Australia

Africa

Jantaris

Power Struggle

Super Stocks

Mykerinos

Vegas Showdown

Sisimizi

El Caballero

El Grande

Amyitis

Islas Canarias

Admittedly, some of the lighter ones (e.g Wadi) probably do not need teaching as such, although I just can not get my head into what the English rules are saying towards the end of Bargain Hunter.

And then there is the even longer list of games played once, liked and obtained a copy, never played again. soblue.

This list includes many older games (think AH / 3M) but also:

Metropolys

The Bridges of Shangri-La

Notre Dame

The Great Fire of London 1666

Graenaland

Java

Tikal

RoboRally

Samarkand

Torres

Capitol

....oh the list goes on and on.... cry blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jazzuu wrote:

Hansa Teutonica
I have this (played at EGC twice) and really enjoyed - would gladly teach.

Fresco
Also own. Very nice light game that MUST be played with the first two expansions (come with the game, so why they are called 'expansions' is beyond me). Would gladly teach.

El Grande
The classic area domination game. Very good, particularly with a full complement of players. Would gladly teach.

Java
Once owned, but didn't really like enough, so sold on.

I would also like to play Antics - sounds interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bestley
England
Croydon
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
geocentrix wrote:
Jazzuu wrote:
Well, if it is going to be a day of playing games that have yet to be played ... And bring Vikings and "the Egyptian game" as well.

No, no ... we should only play games that have been played fewer than 3 times. I /think/ that rules out Egizia...

Anyone for Civilization (the orginal Tresham version)?

Yes please - I have a full copy as well.

Or for other long games I have Napoleonic Wars - never played and another Tresham game Revolution played once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jazzuu wrote:
Jazzuu wrote:

Here is the list of some of the games that I have obtained but not yet managed to play.

Fifth Avenue

Cavum

Ice Flow

Key West

Valdora

Nefertiti

Assyria

Sylla

Royal Palace

Rum & Pirates

Masters of Venice

König von Siam

Key Market

Antics!

Havana

Hansa

Hansa Teutonica

Wadi

Montego Bay

Carson City

Bargain Hunter

Gheos

Phoenicia

Fresco

Australia

Africa

Jantaris

Power Struggle

Super Stocks

Mykerinos

Vegas Showdown

Sisimizi

El Caballero

El Grande

Amyitis

Islas Canarias

Admittedly, some of the lighter ones (e.g Wadi) probably do not need teaching as such, although I just can not get my head into what the English rules are saying towards the end of Bargain Hunter.

And then there is the even longer list of games played once, liked and obtained a copy, never played again. soblue.

This list includes many older games (think AH / 3M) but also:

Metropolys

The Bridges of Shangri-La

Notre Dame

The Great Fire of London 1666

Graenaland

Java

Tikal

RoboRally

Samarkand

Torres

Capitol

....oh the list goes on and on.... cry blush

My choice is to use the time to paly a long game that you cannot play as an evening game. Many on the list seem quite short so why not try them on a thursday night. I would be happy to give GRAENALAND a go on a Thursday night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell D
United Kingdom
Ewell
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a wedding that day but should be able to come for a bit at the start.

I've got Tresham's Civ too, but wouldn't be able to play in Sep as I can't be there all day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoping to be there - off Jim's list the following appeal

Masters of Venice *
Sylla *
Gheos
Ice Flow *
Hansa Teutonica *
Samarkand ***
Tikal
Java
Great Fire of London 1666

Those marked with one * I have played once, and so couldn't teach, Those without an * I haven't played and the one with 3 I have played several times - there again Samarkand is a pretty simple family type game which doesn't need much teaching.

Also wouldn't mind another go at 'Shipyard', and is anyone interested in any of the following:-

- Discworld: Ankh-Morpork
- Cyclades
- La Citta
- Atilla (it's not a wargame - it's a straightforward, and somewhat overlooked, Euro area majority game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Of those highlighted by Gordon, I would be keen on:

Hansa Teutonica
Shipyard
Discworld: Ankh-Morpork

And have recently purchased (but not played much):

Biblios*
The Speicherstadt*

*even though I know Jim doesn't like these

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Sutherland
United Kingdom
(just) West of London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
geocentrix wrote:

And have recently purchased (but not played much):

Biblios*
The Speicherstadt*

*even though I know Jim doesn't like these

Neither are bad games, but nothing about them "grabbed" me, especially The Speicherstadt, a disappointing game from Mr Feld IMO.

Played Pantheon at the weekend and despite coming fourth (out of four) looking forward to playing again if anyone has a copy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Faulkner
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well having never attended for the whole of a Saturday Games Day and having missed the last couple altogether, I pushed the other half to let my son and I attend for the whole day of the next one. She didn't so much as agree, but didn't disagree either - I took that for a 'yes'.

However, I now find that there is a Family Fun Day on the 17th at my daughter's new school - so once again I/we will be missing. Have fun!

I've just seen that the end time for the Games Day has been extended into the evening - so it is possible we might make it along for the end if people are still gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I now find that there is a Family Fun Day on the 17th at my daughter's new school

Surely that should be Family 'Fun' Day
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jazzuu wrote:
nothing about them "grabbed" me, especially The Speicherstadt, a disappointing game from Mr Feld IMO.

And the only one of his that I own.

Jazzuu wrote:
Pantheon ...looking forward to playing again if anyone has a copy?

I don't own but would like to play.

I'm still keen on getting Vinhos to the table once again. (I still haven't won it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Faulkner
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jazzuu wrote:
Neither are bad games, but nothing about them "grabbed" me, especially The Speicherstadt, a disappointing game from Mr Feld IMO.

I've played 5 games by Mr feld to date and would probably have this one at/near the bottom. The others are:
- Notre Dame: several plays, good game
- In the year of the Dragon: a few plays, good game
- Macao: 1 play, want to play some more
- Luna: just started playing on Yucata and i'm not as impressed as I was expecting as this has a high BGG rating

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Clark
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planning on coming, and have still not had the shrink-wrap off my new copy of the expansion for Mansions of Madness - The Silver Tablet... (hint hint).

However, of the other games mentioned, I own Carson City, and could easily teach it. It's a pretty nice game, but I like Cyclades even more.)

If anyone has a copy of Imperial 2030, I'm sort of in the mood for that for some reason, but I don't own it... :(

Also will bring Through The Ages, as it's good for a longer day session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell D
United Kingdom
Ewell
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope to make it for the evening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Faulkner
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chance i'll be there for the evening too.

Jeff - I also have an unplayed copy of Imperial 2030 itching to be played.

Wouldn't mind playing Cyclades as I played it once soon after it came out but with a few rules wrong which messed the end-game up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.