William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
I've been cranky and irritable all week. Started with some mild stomach problems over the weekend, and turned into a constant low grade headache for much of this week. That, and just dealing with idiocy all week (most at work and on other forums- I'll talk about that some other time), and I'm just crankier than a certain lovable Croc we all love to hate!

So I'm going to kick a puppy, because he said something that I'm running into more and more often which just bugs the crap out of me. No, its not this forum, and no, I'm not going to give a link. This isn't personal, so I'm not going to make it so.

Anyway, in a political philosophical discussion where I had given one of my more amazing rebuttals (OH, I so need an ass kicking for that display of ego), this person responded with this gem.

Quote:
I have my opinion, you have yours... The beauty is that both are just as valid...


Really. Really????

REALLY??

"You have the right to your informed opinion"
-Harlan Ellison

Thats the key. An informed opinion.

I'll admit- sometimes I go off on subjects where my ground is shaky. I act like a know it all, but sometimes, I don't. And I get caught.

And when caught, I flinch. But I'd like to think that if you present the evidence, make a case, tie me down, drop an anvil of facts on my head, and kick kicking me in the BALLS, I might- eventually- grumble and say that you have a point.

So yah, I'm imperfect.

But thats the thing- I respect informed opinions. Doesn't mean I agree with them. But I respect them.

So I'm asked, sometimes offline-
Dar- how is it that you can thumb MGK, Chad, Bojan, DDJ, BJ, Drew, SpaceGhost, Perfalbion, Meerkat, Hibikir, Alaren, Rinelk or any of the shit stirrers out there? I mean, I KNOW you don't agree with them.

Its because I respect an informed opinion.

Now, that's a slippery word, informed. MGK is a master with the Google Fu searches. But BJ calls it from the gut- you know that he's saying what he feels. So when MGK says that the facts of an issue are 'x, y, z', I can thumb him. When BJ turns around and says, "But I feel that this still a bunch of crap, because I feel x, y, and z", I can thumb him also.

Point is, no one is perfectly informed. Thats why 'informed opinions' are still, at their core, opinions.

But so long as I feel that people are making an attempt to try and tell me either some new facts, or their own take on facts, I think that they have an informed opinion.

As we get out of this long, hot miserable summer, and into the primary season, I'm noticing more and more that the discussions are more stylized. Talking points over talking, drive by flamebait over commentary- or even good witty snark.

The fact that you can look up the HuffingtonPost or Free Republic and just dump some body of text doesn't mean that YOU- as a poster- have any sort of opinion or comment that I'm interested in. I read and post here because I'm interested in what Y'ALL have to say- NOT what some other random voice on the internet has to think about something.

Demonstrate to me- hell, to all of us- that you have something to say. Give me your inner thoughts, your frustrations, your hopes. I'll share mine. We'll fight, we'll argue, we'll tussle, and I'm sure one or two of us will go a little far and Matt and the rest will have to throw in the hoosegow.

But that's all good. Our personal opinions are nothing more than the expressions and justifications for the greatest things we hold to be true about ourselves and our experiences of the world. Making them BETTER- more clear, more representative of what we truly hold to be 'us'- can never be a bad thing.

No matter how wrong you might be.



Darilian

PS-
I'll be back after the weekend, shilling my big project and generally being an annoying cuss.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Humility is valued for a reason.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
quozl wrote:
Humility is valued for a reason.


"Pride Goeth Before the Fall?"

How very Greek of you, Quozl!!

Darilian
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
quozl wrote:
Humility is valued for a reason.


"Pride Goeth Before the Fall?"

How very Greek of you, Quozl!!

Darilian


Isn't it much more fulfilling when you say it instead of me?

I'm just a teleprompter.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumbed for quoting Harlan Ellison.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever met Harlan Ellison? I'd bet the quote should be, "You have a right to my informed opinion." ("You know it's hard to be humble when you're perfect in every way.")

"A good pilot is compelled to always evaluate what's happened, so he can apply what he's learned."--Top Gun

But a pilot has help: He has physics. If he thinks high pressure, cold weather, and high humidity have made the air dense enough he can go five knots below stall speed, he can try it and find out. He has an absolutely objective standard he can measure his opinions against.

Writing is essentially a solitary profession. Your characters are puppets, and everything always works out exactly as you wish. You're always right. It's tough to self-evaluate with no input.

Likewise, a lot of politicians--especially the very prominent ones--live in a little yes-man bubble. They're always right, in their own minds and in the minds of their disciples, and lackeys--wouldn't want to hurt the poli's self-confidence, would we? Never is heard a discouraging word, until election day. It's no wonder they go off the rails so often.

(Yes, yes, I know: put in a bunch of metaphors and press puree.)

Thing is, most people are that way. They don't like to have their opinions challenged, much less overturned. Many people engineer their lives to avoid contradiction, or to be the big fish in the small pond, so they can out-think everyone around them. Or so they can just blindly follow the leader.

Many (most?) like to see everything as black and white, bad-guys and good-guys. I recall one rather self-aware amateur media critic decrying how the traditional media always tries to show the shades of gray. He said something like, "I know there are shades of gray, but that doesn't mean I want my nose rubbed in them! I want to keep my black and white perspective." How one can both see the gray and deny it boggles me.

So, I see the useful part of RSP as getting out of that small pond, going over the dam, and seeing the gray--seeing the limits of one's own understanding and knowledge. Political group-hugs I see as useless; if you're not here to evolve your views, why bother?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
Avatar
mbmb
tscook wrote:
THATS JUST YOUR OPINION !!!!!

!!


FTFY.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsk, tsk: And you a Bible scholar!

rinelk wrote:
tscook wrote:
THATS JUST YORE OPINION !!!!!

!!


FTFY.

FTFY. laugh
2 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tl;dr
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
tl;dr

ts;dr laugh
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dar, I raise you two puppies and a small dachsund named Colin.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tscook wrote:
JOUST INTO TINY EUPHORIAS


ftfy
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
tscook wrote:
JOUST INTO TINY EUPHORIAS


yfft


ftfy
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mistermarino wrote:
Dar, I raise you two puppies and a small dachsund named Colin.


Your a rebublican then?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think to problem is that you give GG to ill informed illiterate Loony’s. But how do you define informed? You state that you don’t respect those quote block quote form then Huffingtion Post or whatever, but if they just repeated verbatim Fox news would that be OK? Because many people see themselves as informed because they watch the Rant hour on CBFCTV and think that informs them, does it? Or does informed opinion have to have an understanding of the subject and not just parrot repeating of the Richard Littlejohn column? A person can understand one sides argument, with out ever understanding the subject.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Darilian wrote:

Quote:
I have my opinion, you have yours... The beauty is that both are just as valid...



Ah... the Relativist's Rebuttal(tm). The enemy of logical discourse the world over. It's the product of the overwhelming pressure of society to embrace subjectivity and relativism as (ironically) the absolute in social thinking.

Unless you are prepared to tackle the masses and forever subject yourself to their ire, your mental health will be better served by letting them make silly statements.

Well, at least it works for me. You might have a different (but equally valid) point of view on the subject. You know, relatively speaking of course. shake












3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
mistermarino wrote:
Dar, I raise you two puppies and a small dachsund named Colin.


Your a rebublican then?


Just Colin. He's a biter.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.