Subject: Help me to clean the selection :) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I made a small list.. lol

I need help to choose what to remove and what i MUST take.

Here is my actual collection: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/generalpotato

Here is the potential game list

bohnanza
for sale
el grande
agricola
Memoir '44
Shadows over Camelot
hive
Le Havre
Ingenious
Endeavor
Hey, That's My Fish!
Glenn Drover's Empires: The Age of Discovery
Tichu
Age of Steam
1960: The Making of the President
Commands & Colors: Ancients
Steam
Glory to Rome
Union Pacific
dune
Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game
Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage
Dominant Species
Letters From Whitechapel
Battlestar Galactica
Arkham Horror
Ca$h 'n Gun$

If i forgot a good game just let me know

thanks !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, but you need them all

Glad I could help! ;D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

bohnanza
I don't know this. I cut it out.

for sale
I've heard this is excellent. Haven't brought myself to buy it yet, ironically. I recommend it anyway. It stays.

El Grande
Don't know much about it so it goes also even though I've heard its a good game. Consider re-visiting this game later.

agricola
Worker placement. Everyone should have a worker placement game.

Memoir '44
Cards in a war campaign? WTH??? Grabbing my dice and scratching this off.

Shadows over Camelot
Heard it's good, but Battlestar Galactica is better.

Hive
A quick, casual two-player game. Everyone needs one.

Le Havre
All I've seen is the box and I practically drooled over the back-of-the-box description. It seems to have a little of everything. I'm keeping this on your list so you could play it and post up your review.

Ingenious
An abstract? What's that doing here? Scratched.

Endeavor
Sounds like an excellent name for a starship. What? It's not a space game? Thanks for getting my hopes up. Scratched.

Hey, That's My Fish!
I've heard this is more of a kids game. For a casual game, you might be better off with Hive.

Glenn Drover's Empires: The Age of Discovery
Cool. A nice civ game. You'll need one of these.

Tichu
Trick taking? Tossed.

Age of Steam
I don't care much for railroads. On the other hand, maybe railroads... in space...

1960: The Making of the President
Hive might work better as your exclusively two-player game unless you want a more intense game. Maybe try Hive first. If you decide you want something between Hive and Chess, you can go re-visit games like this.

Too wargamery. Scratched.

Steam
Yuck. Railroads.

Glory to Rome
Too cute/casual/cartooney.

Union Pacific
Aagghh! Trains!!

dune
Some interesting reprints or rethemed versions are coming out... I would wait on this.

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game
Get this or Empire but not both. I've heard Empire is better, but have no first hand experience. Scratched in favor of Empire.

If its rome, it's got to be wargamery or cartoonery, right? At least there's no trains. Scratched anyway.

Dominant Species
An epic game, when designing a civilization throughout the ages is just too small scale. I'm sold.

Letters From Whitechapel
Again, limited by by being only two-players, but deduction games tend to be hard to find opponents for anyway. Scratched for now, but consider coming back to this later.

Battlestar Galactica
One of the best games I've ever played, period. Highly recommend.

My final cut:

1. Battlestar Galactica
2. La Havre
3. For Sale
4. Glenn Drover's Empires: The Age of Discovery
5. Hive
6. Dominant Species
7. Agricola

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brook Gentlestream thanks for your review.

Do you know Arkham Horror, Ca$h 'n Gun$.

Also i'm interested in Tichu. I like card games, im myself a poker player so im very curious into this game. Do you know anything about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Tichu seems to be highly recommended by everyone who has played it. The trick-taking thing turns me off so I have no personal experience with this game, but if you don't mind you should probably look into this. From what I understand, it's a small, cheap game anyway and people seem to really enjoy it.

Cash & Guns is good if you're group is into Party games and the like or they like to get really emotional and laugh a lot and tease each other during their games. From what I understand, Cash & Guns form one of the triplicate of excellent "gamer" party games -- the others being Dixit and The Resistance. But I have no personal experience with this game.

Arkham Horror I've played quite a bit. It's a fun game if you roleplayers because it feels more like a roleplaying game. In fact, to truly apprciate it, you have to kind of treat it like a roleplaying game because otherwise the strategy gamers will easily see certain moves you should never do or locations you should never go to. There's a lot of randomness in this game and your characters are moving all across the board. It's fun, but complicated to manage -- each turn you are figuring out which creatures moved this turn, where they went, which monsters spawned, where the portals opened, etc. It's fun if you don't mind the complication or the seriously long play time. Arkham Horror is a pretty good "adventure" game, but the long play time and the fact that certain places/cards are just flat-out better than others makes playing a bit tedious for me after while. Also, each expansion adds new ways to die horribily and to lose the game. However, the base game includes a LOT and I don't find the expansions to be necessary.

The coolest thing about Arkham Horror is that if you lose, there's a final climactic battle where you can steal victory as the Old One awakens. That's pretty sweet, and more games need to learn from this.

As an adventure gamer and a roleplayer, I find Battlestar Galactica a much more enjoyable experience. There's more differences in the stuff that can happen, more intrigue between the players, more importance in strategic choices, and a shorter play time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you need to save money, keep either Age of Steam or Steam, not both. Consider Airlines Europe instead of union pacific, it's effectively a newer version.

The previous gentleman's review of Arkham Horror is spot on. However, his reasons for dismissing many of the other games are based on first impressions but not first hand information. I suggest you ignore his list and stick to your own. You seem to have done a lot more research than someone who dismisses Age of Steam and Union Pacific for the same ridiculous reason. These two games have nothing in common. No offense intended here, but "Sounds like an excellent name for a starship." is not a reason not to buy a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh and I don't know Tichu, but you will love No Thanks!. I think it belongs in every collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
bohnanza - Great game if you have a lot of players, fun, fast, can be loud. Keeper.
for sale - Simple auction game in two parts. Good fun. Keeper.
el grande - Excellent area control. Definite keeper.
agricola - Only game by Uwe, so far, that I don't like at all. Cut cut cut.
Memoir '44 - Knew some people who fought in WWII so I don't play games set in it. Cut cut cut.
Shadows over Camelot - Multy player co-operative Gin Rummy? Yucky yuck! Cut cut cut.
hive - Interesting abstract that I think, unfortunately, might be broken. Cut cut cut.
Le Havre - Favourite game by Uwe. Keeper!
Ingenious - Good little puzzle like abstract. Keeper.
Endeavor - Good fun in seven turns. Keeper.
Hey, That's My Fish! - Simple enough for kids but potentially quite deep. Keeper.
Glenn Drover's Empires: The Age of Discovery - Easily in my top ten. Definite keeper.
Tichu - Could never get into this one. Just felt too contrived. Cut cut cut.
Age of Steam - Have a weakness for train games, the weakness being I don't like them. Cut cut cut.
1960: The Making of the President - Excellent two player card driven game. Great fun and historical too! Keeper.
Commands & Colors: Ancients - Too many stickers, too much work. Cut cut cut.
Steam - See Age of Steam. Cut cut cut.
Glory to Rome - Complex card game that is much deeper than its graphics imply. Keeper.
Union Pacific - I think this is the train game that made me hate train games. Cut cut cut.
dune - You should have sold this a few months ago. Now FFG has made it much less of a grail. Still an oldies but a goody. Keeper.
Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game - A boardgame based on a computer game that was inspired by a boardgame. If you don't have the original this is a Keeper.
Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage - Not really for me. Cut cut cut.
Dominant Species - Best "worker placement" ever. Definite keeper.
Letters From Whitechapel - Game about a man who butchered women. No pun intended: Cut cut cut.
Battlestar Galactica - Never trust your "friends" again. Keeper.
Arkham Horror - The oposite of a tautology? Cthulhu goodness. Keeper.
Ca$h 'n Gun$ - Bang! I shot you in the face. Weee! Just doesn't sit right with me. Cut cut cut

Forgotten games? So many to list. Here's some from the top of my head.
Dixit
Rise of Empires
Arabian Nights
Advanced Civilization
7 Wonders
A la Carte
Arctic Scavengers
RoadZters
Brass
Catacombs
Cyclades
Gosu
Hansa Teutonica
Incan Gold
Pillars of the Earth
Robo Rally
Revolution!
Notre Dame

Well, I could go on and on... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lard Head
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultimately I think you should go with the games that seem most appealing to you (and the other potential players) regardless of what anyone on the internet thinks (myself included), but I'll throw in my two cents. Take it for what it's worth. I'll mostly leave out my thoughts on the games I haven't played.

Agricola - My wife and I quite enjoy it and have even played it with one of our daughters who had fun too. Plays well solo too. I really enjoy the game quite a bit and consider it a very good pick. The rules took me a little digesting but once it hit the table it played easily enough and was quite fun.

Memoir '44 - A great light wargame (there are those who will dispute whether or not it should be called a wargame, but I consider it one). I really like the whole Commands & Colors series. All of the games in the series have slight variations to the same basic mechanics, but these are mostly linked to the theme and are not tremendous differences. For starters you probably only need one of them though, so pick the one that suits you best thematically, you can always add expansions and/or more games from the family later on if you like it. Battle Cry for the American Civil War, Memoir '44 for World War II, Commands & Colors: Ancients for Ancient Warfare, BattleLore for a mish-mash of sword and sorcery type fantasy with the 100 Years War and Commands & Colors: Napoleonics for Napoleonic Warfare.

Hive - An excellent two player abstract strategy game. Easy to teach and play but very fun and thought provoking. Chesslike but quicker and easier, not ultimately as deep either, but still a lot of fun and worth having. Bonus points for portability and durability too. You can try it out for free online too (even against AI) on boardspace.net. Has spiffy (and fairly inexpensive) expansions too.

Le Havre - First up I'll tell you, I haven't played it. From what I've read it sounds like a game with good mechanics though. My gut reaction is that if you are trying to trim your list or prioritize it at least I would pick either Le Havre or Agricola (and for me I enjoy the theme of Agricola more) since they share a common designer and some mechanical similarities (they are after all, along with At the Gates of Loyang, both part of the Harvest Series). I will now wait for the Le Havre fans to start throwing things at me for not having played it and offering any kind of judegement of it. No, in all seriousness though, it sounds like you are probably relatively new to the sorts of games that are featured prominently here on the 'Geek (or at least are new to starting a collection of your own) and if that is true I would go for diversity over specialization and would not buy several games from the same designer that share mechanical similarities. {Waits to be told how Le Havre and Agricola are nothing alike}

Ingenious - A fun abstract strategy game with a luck element and ability for both multiplayer and solitaire play. A good game that has grown on me a bit more as time has gone on, at first I didn't get a lot of "wow" factor out of it, I liked the game, it just didn't grab me that much or get me that excited. More plays and more time with the game have made it grow on me quite a bit and I like the game quite a bit now.

Hey, That's My Fish! - A good abstract strategy game with a randomly set up board for variable play. Don't let the cutesy theme and packaging fool you, it is a serious game. Plays well multiplayer too. The cuteness has the tendency to polarize people though (love it or hate it) and can be a turn off for people who want a more serious game. My wife still won't play it and I suspect it is the child like aesthetics that are the source of that. My kids like it though, as well as a number of adult gamer friends.

Commands & Colors: Ancients - Same assessment as Memoir '44, see above for most of my thoughts. Most people consider C&C:A to be more complex than M44, which may be marginally true, although the complexity gap is very small. I think that picking a Commands & Colors game that sparks your thematic interests the most is probably the most important step for an early purchase, you can get more later if you like the system.

Arkham Horror - A fun cooperative game with a cornucopia of expansions, some of which dramatically alter gameplay. If you enjoy the basic gameplay then there is a wealth of replay value here (a fair amount even in the base game with the different investigators and Great Old Ones). Depending on how imaginative you are your mileage may vary with the "narrative" aspect of the game. I quite like the game mechanics but for me they don't particularly evoke truly Lovecraftian Horror. That said though, the art is fantastic and can help you make that imaginative leap into madness and horror. So I think it is a very fun game either way and like it quite a bit, but I think for folks who are into it as a storytelling game that depends on how much you put into it (as is often the case with those sorts of things). If you enjoy applying your imagination to the game events you can certainly create a narrative story, but the game itself may or may not tell one without you breathing life into it.

So of the games that I have played (or at least offered an opinion on) I basically only narrowed your list by saying pick either Agricola or Le Havre and pick either Memoir '44 or Commands & Colors: Ancients. The rest of the ones I've played anyway are all good.

The only other thing I'll add about your current list is that though I haven't played either Shadows over Camelot or Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game it is my understanding that they are both cooperative games with hidden traitor mechanics (where one player is secretly working against the others), that said, unless you are really in love with the themes or mechanics of both games I would probably pick just one to start with (can always add the other and/or expansions later).

As far as other games to consider, you seem to have some interest in cooperative games in general and Pandemic is an excellent choice of that variety. If you are more interested in co-ops with a hidden traitor you might also consider Betrayal at House on the Hill, although again, even though the theme and mechanics are different I would still initially only pick one between it, Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game and Shadows over Camelot unless you are really into all three themes or just can't get enough games with hidden traitor mechanics (can add the others later).

I noticed you have several wargames on your list and a family of them that I would add to the list of wargames to consider checking out is the Conflict of Heroes series (Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42 and Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel! – Kursk 1943 being the currently available base games in the series). They are excellent and easy to learn (thanks in part to the programmed rulebooks that build the complexity of the game and add more detail and rules as you play more). They also have very attractive maps and counters (which is a big complaint of a lot of people about many hex and counter wargames). Conflict of Heroes would make a great intro to hex and counter style wargaming.

Well, that got to be a rather lengthy reply, I really do hope it helps you though. Happy Gaming!

EDIT:

If I were to pick 5 from your list I would go with:

Agricola
Memoir '44
Hive
Arkham Horror
Tichu (I haven't played it but have heard good things and would like to, plus it isn't very expensive and you mentioned being a card player)

2ND EDIT:

I strongly recommend that you try as many of the games you are interested in as you can before you buy them and talk to people who you might play them with to gauge their interest and even get them to play before you buy too if possible (other than the games that can be played solitaire you need people to play with).

3RD (and final) EDIT: Fixed the typos I noticed when re-reading my post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sick jobs guys, this will definitely help me to make my choice.

tx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lard Head
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonathan (or generalpotato if you prefer), if you happen to think to fill us in on what you end up getting and share your thoughts about what you get once you have been able to play it that would be cool. I always like hearing about differnet people's experiences with games, especially after I make recommendations to them (whether they take my recommendations or not).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LardHead wrote:
Jonathan (or generalpotato if you prefer), if you happen to think to fill us in on what you end up getting and share your thoughts about what you get once you have been able to play it that would be cool. I always like hearing about differnet people's experiences with games, especially after I make recommendations to them (whether they take my recommendations or not).

This is a very nice ettiquette and community-building thing to do. In addition, I feel you should offer at least small geekgold tips to everyone who offered suggestions that were influential in making your decision. For general recommendation threads, for example, I usually tip everyone who recommended a game that I ended up buying as a result.

I know you have no geekgold yet, but I've given you 2 geekgold so that you can offer up some small tips for this and other threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always try to help when someone ask question on games i know

how do i earn geek gold?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpotato wrote:
I always try to help when someone ask question on games i know

how do i earn geek gold?

I got mine by writing up reviews after I buy a new game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lard Head
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpotato wrote:

how do i earn geek gold?

There are a number of ways to get it. You can get it from tips (which people give because they like what you said, like the item you contributed, agree with you or found you particularly helpful), by making contributions to the site (reviews, videos, photos, new game entries, etc.), making monetary donations to the 'Geek (such as those needed to get patron badges or to block adds) or by supporting Folding@Home as a member of Team Geekdo come to mind. Folding@Home is a particularly easy source of consistent GeekGold, the other methods involve more of a personal commitment of time (or money in the case of donations). There is also shameless begging. Actually, joking about begging aside if you watch the front page regularly there will periodically be events held where new users get to beg (in a socially acceptable way) for enough GeekGold to buy avatars, microbadges and other Geek goodies.

Here is more info on Folding@Home as a member of Team Geekdo if you are interested:

Team Geekdo Needs Your Help

Let me know if you are interested in Folding@Home and need more help with it, it's a neat project for a good cause that also is a good source of .

EDIT:

I was poking through the forums and found this thread:

For new users: How-to earn GeekGold

I remembered seeing it awhile ago and wanted to post a link to it for you. There are some little personal attack back-and-forth flame war-ish posts in the thread, but if you set those aside the tips are valid.

EDIT 2:

GeekModding works too, it is normally very slow, but if you are dilligent you can certainly make some that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From your list, I'd say to buy:

for sale
el grande
Memoir '44
hive
Le Havre
Hey, That's My Fish!
Tichu
Age of Steam
Glory to Rome
Union Pacific
Dominant Species
Letters From Whitechapel
Battlestar Galactica

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.