Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Im going on my first cruise here at the end of September and was curious if anyone had any experience of do's and dont's to share with me? Ive been researching things on the net but Im always open to other info and learning from others. Any advice/tips are appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I did a cruise last January, as our "last blast" before our daughter was born. We're actually doing another one with some family in a couple months!

It's kind of like a relaxed "all-inclusive" type of vacation, but you're at a different city every day. You could just kick back on the boat, maybe doing a bit of shopping, or you could spend a lot of money on excursions at each port (tours, snorkeling, swim with dolphins, ...)

Alcohol and pop are usually not included. We aren't big drinkers, so we got by on the free juice/iced tea/lemonade, no problem.

If you're going with someone who will play games with you, pack a few games into one box. You'll probably have some opportunities to play during the day, as the boat is sailing.

Bring some warmer clothes for the evening - it can be breezy and a little cool on the deck. Also, a nicer set of clothes for dinner on the one or two "dress up" nights they'll have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a ton Ian!

For the special dinner nights would you recommend a nice polo tucked into slacks with dress shoes? Or do a full button down shirt with the same slacks and shoes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
Both cruises I went on sold a refillable soda cup. You paid for it once, then they refilled it for free. This was 6 years ago but then it was $20. I'm a big soda drinker so it was totally worth it since it is good for the whole cruise.

The other thing I took advantage of was the fact that most things on the ship are open before you sail. The ship sailed at 5 pm, we were enjoying the ship at 1pm. Try and get there early so you can explore and get a feel for the ship. It's like bonus vacation time.

Oh yea, bring a watch. So you know when to go to dinner and stuff, without having to carry your cell phone around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ElCid91 wrote:
Both cruises I went on sold a refillable soda cup. You paid for it once, then they refilled it for free. This was 6 years ago but then it was $20. I'm a big soda drinker so it was totally worth it since it is good for the whole cruise.

The other thing I took advantage of was the fact that most things on the ship are open before you sail. The ship sailed at 5 pm, we were enjoying the ship at 1pm. Try and get there early so you can explore and get a feel for the ship. It's like bonus vacation time.

Oh yea, bring a watch. So you know when to go to dinner and stuff, without having to carry your cell phone around.

More like $50 for the soda card on the 7 day I did last month. Of course, that was nothing compared with the $1100 bar tab the wife and I ran up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
More like $50 for the soda card on the 7 day I did last month. Of course, that was nothing compared with the $1100 bar tab the wife and I ran up!
H'mmm, $1100 for 2 people over 7 days = $78 per day per person sustained over a week.

Either the drinks were really expensive, or you and your wife are serious drinkers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
Thanks a ton Ian!

For the special dinner nights would you recommend a nice polo tucked into slacks with dress shoes? Or do a full button down shirt with the same slacks and shoes?

Some people will go as far as tuxes & formal dresses, but they don't enforce anything. So, it depends how you feel about being dressed a little "down" from the average. You also have the option of eating at the buffet or something that night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hedke
United States
Gibraltar
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Most problems can be solved with either a stiff drink, a bowel movement, or a bullet.
mbmbmbmbmb
Take Dramamine with you just in case. I've spent my entire life in, on and around the waters of Lake Erie in up to 12 foot waves tossing me like a cork, never been seasick. I went on a cruise and got seasick. Also, not all seasickness is nausea. Mine was cold sweat and headache which I didn't recognize as seasickness until told by others. Dramamine (and my dear friend vodka) solved the problem quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:

You know what, now that I think of it, it was about $40 per card. Still worth it if you drink soda like I do.

I guess I'm becoming that old guy who misremembers everything so it was all cheaper and better when I was younger.

Oh yea, and bring the Dramamine, just in case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all very much for all the advice!

What do you recommend using cash or card while at our the destination? Were heading to the Bahamas. I'll be wearing a money pouch anyways to transport/hide my passport so I figure it wouldnt hurt to carry some cash as well. Or is it better to just use a card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
casualgod wrote:
H'mmm, $1100 for 2 people over 7 days = $78 per day per person sustained over a week.

Either the drinks were really expensive, or you and your wife are serious drinkers!

A little bit of both I think. Most beers were $5-6, drinks were $7-9. I would say we had about 9-10 drinks each throughout the day, usually starting in the mid afternoon and going until 2 AM or so.

So, yeah, we can put em away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
I figure it wouldnt hurt to carry some cash as well. Or is it better to just use a card?

It's good to have some cash if you want to pick up souvenirs, etc., but you can count on your cards being good in the port cities. They're geared to making it easy for you to spend your money there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
Thanks all very much for all the advice!

What do you recommend using cash or card while at our the destination? Were heading to the Bahamas. I'll be wearing a money pouch anyways to transport/hide my passport so I figure it wouldnt hurt to carry some cash as well. Or is it better to just use a card?

Some cash is a must. $50 usually does it for us for a port of call. Use your card when you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Bahamas, skip the cruise ship's tour and just rent a taxi. Get to know your taxi driver and he'll give you a great tour of the island. We had a big group of 9 people and he gave us a really nice tour, dropped us off at the shopping district, and even picked us up at the ship after our dinner to take us to a Bahamian-style night club! It was a great savings per person and really a great experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
casualgod wrote:

The drinks are really expensive plus gratuity on every drink. A drink averages $4-$9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the awesome and helpful advice! I really appreciate it!

Does anyone remember if milk was included in the free beverages? Im a big milk drinker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On our cruise (Carnival), milk was on the buffet - so yes, included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iklinck wrote:
On our cruise (Carnival), milk was on the buffet - so yes, included.

This is most excellent news Ian! Were going on a Carnival ship as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The clothing issue is a matter of choice and probably what your group is comfortable with. After 3 cruises of "dressing up" I finally packed a pair of slacks with a nice top for the "dressy" night and wore shorts the rest of the time on my last cruise.

They do NOT enforce the dress code, so it all depends on your interest in dressing up and your conformity level.

The "meet the captain" is usually a waste of time, but again, it all depends on you and your interest. Being your first cruise, you'll probably want to do it. They used to give you a free drink if you went.

Photographers are always taking photos of the passengers and then posting the 8x10s in a central location for you to see. There is no obligation to purchase the photos, but you'll probably want a couple.

The ship's stores usually have clearance items near the end of the cruise, FYI. We found some discounted stuff by chance on the last night of the cruise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Bring a gun. You can legally kill a person in international waters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Avoid e-meters and talking about psychiatry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch out for icebergs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.