Tim Bowman
msg tools
I want to like playing Roslin; I love her character in the TV show ('I'm sick, weak and naive...BAM! No, I'm calculating, ice cold and willing to airlock you without a second thought if it's best for humanity...').

But I wonder about how useful I can be playing her. Last game I was drawing mostly Inspirational Speeches when Morale wasn't an issue, had a few quorum cards and a few skill cards but not enough of either and generally felt useless. I've picked up a couple tips reading the forums which I will try to remember but I wonder about picking her especially if other players are convinced she makes a poor president. Should I just pick someone else if the other players are going to want to take the presidency from me? I mean, yes she draws yellow and can play ICs and all that and has a nice ability but you could say that about others who also seem more fitted to their 'logical' role (Admiral or CAG). Some have said she is a 'support' character and I do like to feel that I am helping my team but is that code for "does everything kind of ok but nothing well"?

I guess what I'm really asking is, are there player numbers or character combos when she is an especially good or poor choice? Do I need to have more than five games under my belt before I try to play her?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roslin is awesome. Fists full of Quorom cards is a nice bonus, but her power is in scouting the Crisis deck. As a human, she can help the fleet avoid certain disaster. As a Cylon, she can cause all kinds of problems and feign that "the other card was worse!"

Roslin has been picked in every one of our base games. She rocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmb
Have to agree with Ken on this one. Roslin is not the type of character who has lots of actions during the games, she is the type of character who controls the actions. As either a cylon or human she can be deadly if played by the right person.

Honestly every character is awesome in this game, even all of those included in the expansions. Some of them just require the right type of thinking to make them awesome.

LA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny O'Donnell
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only time I would not seriously consider Roslin is when the player before me just picked Boomer. In those games you're more often than not just double-checking Boomer's scouting, and that's only really helpful if you're human and she's a Cylon. The worst is if you're Cylon and she's human, and you're forced to play the good crisis that Boomer left on top and bury the nasty one underneath it if you don't want to reveal yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I swear, ever time I have Roslin in a game she buries 2-3 attack cards. Worth her wait in gold right there!

Heck even if she buries 2-3 non jump crisis cards the entire game that is worth it.

Plus her OPG can usually get you the Quorum card you need.

I don't care if someone else want's the presidency. My job is to keep everyone honest and make the ride smooth!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Following pertains to base game and expansion up to and including Exodus....

For "Pollys" (aka Political Leaders), the alternatives.....
Baltar doesn't seem to have any weaknesses, but having 2 loyalty cards can be a liability. People have quoted Settlers Of Catan how a roll of 7 comes up the most (16.67%). However, while it's more than than next highest number (6 at 13.89%), it isn't THAT much more. And given the # of non7's, it's still small. AFAIK, ditto with Baltar getting a cylon card at the beginning of the game (depends on # of players too). However, like with SoC, perception can overshadow reality, and people have used that weakness of Baltar's to wrangle away the presidency from him. It can be through Admin, or a crisis card effect... especially the alternative to Baltar giving up the pres. is kinda steep (e.g. brigging someone, discarding lots of skill cards).

Again with Baltar, some people think it's lame how Peg and Exo have execution mechanic that reveals the loyalty of a player. I find it amusing how some of those people end up taking Baltar for his OPG. Kind of defeats your original intent doesn't it

Ellen aiun't too bad, but her special means she should be following people around instead of hanging out in the Pres. Off.

Tory ain't bad either, but alas, she's at the VERY BOTTOM of the political ladder among the pollys. Also, to make matters more ironic/worse, her special is tied to Qcards being played

META-GAME
To meta-game Roslin, if there is ANY iota of doubt of you being a cylon, use that to your advantage to keep yourself out of the Brig. It's expensive for you since you need to discard 2 skill cards to activate the Brig, and you won't be able to use your special anymore (unless you're in Detention on New Caprica from Pegasus exp). If someone still Brigs you anyways, it may be painful, but FWIW, the/a cylon probably soft revealed. If you're a known cylon and they brig you, then yeah, you'll need to think things through

SKILL CARDS.
In the base game, due to how undiluted the deck is, she'll be playing a dispropriionately large # of ICs, which can be a real boon to the team's skill card flow (esp. if using the old ICs that reveal Destiny too). With Peg, Support The People (if you have 4 or less skilol cards, draw 2) can be helpful, and Prev. Policy (sacrifice movmeent step to hold on to one additional resource if lost) is strategically great to play if you have a good idea of what's going to be lost. In Exo exp, Red Tape is a good way to protect yourself against Briggings, or any skill check you want to fail, though it can work the other way too with more planning. There's only one Political Prow. in the game, but by the odds, Roslin and Tory have the best chances of getting them. With that, you can make a decisive blow with jsut 3 to 4 skill cards, gauranteed (provided the location you're using isn't damaged).

IN GENERAL
Her OPG is sort of a "hail Mary" if you're in a desparate situation with nothing much else to lose. Nice if you can time it after Tory uses her OPG too. Her special and going a long ways towards owning the crisis deck is nice though. Someone suggested a house rule that she only needs to discard 1 or 0 skill cards to activate C1 locations due to her thematic nature of being a politician, but it was shot down. It was just teh base game at the time, and some of us felt that house rule still wasn't warranted given her other qualities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roslin might be the worst president in terms of working the quorum, her OPG makes her very dangerous should she be of the toaster persuasion. She may be holding an Arrest Order in her hand and her OPG could find a second and when they both go off it makes it a very difficult game for the humans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roslin is an exceptional character, though not a great President (due to her drawback). That being said, starting out as the President is better than someone else having it (because they may not be on the same team as you).

Roslin draws enough green to have a steady supply of XOs, ensuring that no action is truly wasted (even with your drawback) and has a very impressive ability to use every turn. As a human, it allows you to mitigate a lot of damage. As a cylon, the opposite is true. The drawback factors more heavily as a cylon (since you won't want to XO) but starting as the President is a huge boon for the cylon - Even if you aren't able to get a strong hand of quorum cards, you can make some crisis choices that are disastrous for humans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:

Roslin ... starting as the President is a huge boon for the cylon - Even if you aren't able to get a strong hand of quorum cards, you can't make some crisis choices that are disastrous for humans.

Too true. The other hidden benefit of being a Cylon Roslin President is by virtue of Roslin being the president, the quorum hand is likely to be small and of little use to her human replacement.

In a recent game I modded a Cylon Baltar mined through 16 Quorum cards or so looking for the Arrest Orders (he didn't find them) and he ended up having to play some beneficial quorum cards (to keep up the human facade) he never got to reveal but had he the incoming President would have quite the beneficial arsenal at their disposal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not going to try to convince you to play Roslin. She's good, but I prefer Zarek, because I like working with the Quorum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Low
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
She's my favorite in the game. Politics and leadership are great decks. XO, consolidate power, and investigative commmittees are all potent. It keeps you relevant in most checks. You also have an excuse to do more interesting things with your actions that activate locations to "fire the guns" or "move civilian ships". For the same reason she has an excuse to stay on Colonial one and therefore doesn't get sent to sickbay due to Galactica getting damaged. The presidency and quorum cards aren't that powerful. Her ability is far better. As others have mentioned, she is potent whether you are a human or a cylon.

I was skeptical as you are, but then I tried her. She has been my favorite by far since.

Best,
-Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mooseulie Ferenczy
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't think there is a single bad political leader in the base game. Heck, I don't think there is a single bad character in the base game (though Chief appears to be cursed to toasterdom). Roslin has limited ability to mine the quorum deck and is vulnerable to Zarek taking the presidency, but he skill hand means she has action choices, she can use her skill hand to beef up for y/g checks, he every turn is amazing, her OPG is almost always useful, Y is not a bad skill card for cylons to have, and a particularly petty Roslin can sit in Administration to stop Zarek from using it since she is probably best off using the the president card+quorum text to deal with the quorum hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Smith
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just had Roslin picked for the first time in our last game (6P unfortunately). The cylons were absolutely devastated in that game, and we all agreed it was due to Roslin's burying the cylon attack cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming she's president, she'll sometimes have to chuck away some cards on 'President chooses' food crises, which makes paying to use locations less affordable (your low cards will get chucked first, leaving only high cards in hand).

Even without using locations there is plenty Roslin can do.
*Executive order - with 2 green draws, she should be able to xo someone every turn. If you don't want to or can't do that, there's still:
*Once per game
*Quorum actions (I still prefer to use Presidents office to get the extra card, just not very often - she's the worst character at being president!)
*Consolidate power, which in turn can give you:
*Launch scout
*Repair (Yep, a good use for Roslin is fixing things)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
paulclarke339 wrote:
*Quorum actions (I still prefer to use Presidents office to get the extra card, just not very often - she's the worst character at being president!)

I have said it before and I will say it again: Roslin is best as President. The reason is that she is bad at everything else (besides XO'ing). Since she has no business being anywhere on Galactica or Colonial One, she can just stick to the Office. With Roslin on the crew, all other players have more to do on Galactica, using Command, the Hangar Deck, the Armory, FTL Control, Communications, etc. etc. They cannot sit on their @$$3$ in the President's Office! By default, Roslin has to sit on her @$$ most of the game, so why not in the Office? And being President, Roslin always has the option to use the Quorum Cards WITHOUT giving up skill cards. Take the Presidency away from her, and suddenly she can't do anything anymore. If the crew is really in need of lots of Quorum Cards, allow Roslin to dump some cards to get them -- the President has to discard cards fairly often anyway, so there is little objection to her using them to activate the Office --. But the Quorum is a crap shoot anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
And being President, Roslin always has the option to use the Quorum Cards WITHOUT giving up skill cards.

And the president title card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
paulclarke339 wrote:

I have said it before and I will say it again: Roslin is best as President. The reason is that she is bad at everything else (besides XO'ing). Since she has no business being anywhere on Galactica or Colonial One, she can just stick to the Office. With Roslin on the crew, all other players have more to do on Galactica, using Command, the Hangar Deck, the Armory, FTL Control, Communications, etc. etc. They cannot sit on their @$$3$ in the President's Office! By default, Roslin has to sit on her @$$ most of the game, so why not in the Office? And being President, Roslin always has the option to use the Quorum Cards WITHOUT giving up skill cards. Take the Presidency away from her, and suddenly she can't do anything anymore. If the crew is really in need of lots of Quorum Cards, allow Roslin to dump some cards to get them -- the President has to discard cards fairly often anyway, so there is little objection to her using them to activate the Office --. But the Quorum is a crap shoot anyway.
That's a point I agree with, but won't others just argue that she should suck it up and use locations every now and then? If she gets XO-ed as president to to use Qcards, she should be using the title card then if she can't use the location twice. If she would be expected to use any other location twice, but doesn't ahve the cards, then she could just use a CP or LS later on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey brumley
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Roslin

She is best when playing WITHOUT the cylon fleet board. CAG cards are much more rare and aren't as bad as a cylon attack card.

She is a terrible choice if someone has picked Tory (as Tory's ability would be almost useless)

Her weakness and her Positive are greatly influenced by how many people there are. The fewer people, the more of the deck is scouted before played. However, with fewer people her ability is much more detrimental. In a 3 person game you have only one person you can XO. For that reason Roslin relies on XOing people.

I would say she is best with 4 people (no symp or cylon leader version) with Cylon Attack Cards. She is the worst with 6 people with a cylon leader, or a 3 person game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roslin is quite certainly not a good President. Just because she can't do anything else good doesn't mean she should get a title. If Roslin can't make good use of an action, it doesn't matter. Simply use XOs to funnel actions into people that aren't Roslin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, when I've played Roslin, I've had good results just using Consolidate Power, XO, and Launch Scouts. I never really activate the president's office. If someone else is trustworthy and willing/able to activate it, I'd just as soon have them be president and then I don't have to worry about all the "president discards" crises, and can concentrate on drawing cards and being awesome at skill checks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not necessarily a bad idea..... if everyone else are busy activating locations or flying out in space, it wouldn't be such a bad idea ot have Roslin in the President's seat. Yes, it'd be nice to use Pres. Off. without having to discard, but a mix of the 2 could still suffice. Speaking of which, we've had some base games where C1 got destroyed. In those cases, the presidency should go back/stay with Roslin. Ironic how someone like Starbuck makes a better president than the "Pollies" (Political Leaders) when C1 is no longer around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
ackmondual wrote:
Ironic how someone like Starbuck makes a better president than the "Pollies" (Political Leaders) when C1 is no longer around.

No need to wait for Colonial One to explode for the Political Leaders to be awful Presidents; with the exception of Tory, any Military Leader is generally a better President than any Political Leader.

Roslin can't use the President's Office effectively, so letting her be President essentially means giving up all the goodies it has to offer (especially in the base game where you can draw the entire Quorum deck and thereafter play things like Authorization of Brutal Force at will). Baltar is more likely to be a Cylon, so he can't be trusted with such dangerous power - not to mention that, since he draws blue, you might want him to run around Repairing instead. Zarek is more dangerous as a Cylon (since it's harder to take the Presidency from him and he can keep people he's Arrest Ordered in the Brig more easily), so giving him this power can lead to the most devastating backfire. And Ellen needs to follow people around and thus can't sit in the Office, so she's as bad as Roslin. The only Political Leader that has no drawback as President is Tory, and even then, her ability to draw blue via her ability gives her a use on Galactica that no Military Leader save Gaeta can match.

The Military Leaders have no such drawbacks (with the possible exception of Helo not being able to pilot, but he makes up for it with ECO Officer letting him pass Quorum die rolls post-Sleeper when nobody wants to XO the President and risk a double-arrest) - and Saul Tigh's OPG makes creating a Military Leader President easy. (Because the Admiral and President titles have completely unrelated powers, a Cylon holding both can't really do more damage than a Cylon holding either one alone; there's no synergy between them, so creating a PrAdmiral carries little risk.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
The Military Leaders have no such drawbacks (with the possible exception of Helo not being able to pilot, but he makes up for it with ECO Officer letting him pass Quorum die rolls post-Sleeper when nobody wants to XO the President and risk a double-arrest) - and Saul Tigh's OPG makes creating a Military Leader President easy. (Because the Admiral and President titles have completely unrelated powers, a Cylon holding both can't really do more damage than a Cylon holding either one alone; there's no synergy between them, so creating a PrAdmiral carries little risk.)

Having a cylon pradmiral can be dangerous though....
Pretty much all the choices fall to them, including but not limited to: crisis card says they get to Brig someone, losing badly needed resource, wasting a nuke, and picking lousy destinations. Sure, he's revealing himself, but if done enough times, the damage will already be done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
The only Political Leader that has no drawback as President is Tory.

Her negative ability will force her to choose the -food options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. She just chooses the Skill Check everytime. Her drawback only applies to "Current Player Chooses". And Skill Checks are only a choice when it's "Current Player Chooses".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.