Subject: Family Variant Doubts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
edith schielle
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hello,
I've been reading boargame geek for years now, but I've just got the courage to order my first set of boargames very recently. In fact, this is my first post ever!

I order ticket to ride and seven wonders and I'm planing in ordering pandemic next time, but they are all in the family cathegory.

so, Agricola seems like a very nice game to have, and I'm thinking in order it next time, but I'm afraid that the game might not work out with my friends and family (none of then are gamers at all! I'm going to convert all of then! BWAUAAUUAHUAHUAH)devil.
I undestand that there is a family variant that seems to work even with childreen, right?
I was wondering too if its possible to play it without knowing too many english, because my parents and some friends of mine just know the basics of english or nothing at all.

If its not a good ideia at all, what would be a game with a little bit more of strategies (something like agricola or puerto rico) that don't depends too much of english knowing and that its not too difficult to explain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
The family version of Agricola is quite good, and I've been playing it this week with my 10-year olds and their grandmother. They all love it. As far as the English language barrier, you could certainly still play it (especially just the family version of it) without a lot of trouble, but probably in the long run you should get it in another language, or go with another game that doesn't depend on knowing the language. 7 Wonders maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't there a Spanish version available?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sims
Australia
Kangaroo Flat
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
Isn't there a Spanish version available?

I think it would need to be Portuguese.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, I stand corrected. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, my favourite topic!

The family game is an excellent starting point, and it is quite reasonable for kids down to the age of about 8 or so. When I teach Agricola, I always start with a very 'open' game where I try to give advice to the beginners, and explain why they are taking certain moves. It's much easier this way than explaining all the rules in advance.

To nullify one myth, the family game is NOT easier than the advanced game, and it is really only a little bit less complex. The advanced game is preferred by many because there is more variety, whereas in the family game, everyone is trying to do the same things and it turns into a tight game of screwage. But I like tight games of screwage and it's why the family game still gets played from time to time even though I have 70+ plays (and god knows how many more online) under my belt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Sporre
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The family version is quite friendly to non-English speakers - there isn't much text on the board and it's easily explained.
If you later on want to play with the Occupations and Minor Improvements you need to have a quite good understanding of English though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Klemm
United States
Concord
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Desert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
edith schielle
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
nice! thanks a lot!
I think I will buy it after all. cool

I will play the family version with my family as I think they would probaly not care to a deper kind of game and, When I feel like playing a more complex game, I will have these under my sleeve to play with my english speakers friends and my boyfriend.

the way that every one talks about agricola...its seems like a impossible, monstruous, very complex and hard to play game! So I was kind of intimidated, even knowing that there were a family version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don't you try the online version at boiteajeux.net first? It's got a very good interface and is quite intuitive. If you can pick it up from that, you'll know you can cope with the real thing.

Start with a solo family game and then no-one will see you make the mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
Why don't you try the online version at boiteajeux.net first? It's got a very good interface and is quite intuitive. If you can pick it up from that, you'll know you can cope with the real thing.

Start with a solo family game and then no-one will see you make the mistakes.

+1 thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
edith schielle
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
O MY GOD! these game is awesome!

I had to play the family variant 2 times to get it. I still suck but I can't stop playing it!

=D

thanks for pointing me the site to play it online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you start off non-gamers with something as complex as Agricola (even the family game) there's a high chance of turning them off from board gaming. You need to ease most people into the hobby by starting with less complex games so that they can learn the basic concepts of games.

Better games would be Settlers of Catan, Alhambra, Small World or Samurai. I've had great success with starting people off with these games. They're all a step above games like 7 wonders and Ticket to Ride but they only offer about 1 or 2 new concepts so people don't get overwhelmed. They are also fairly easy to play without knowing English.

Settlers - Trading, resource management.
Alhambra - Placement of tiles, majority management
Small World - Area control, round management.
Samurai - Majority management, knowing when and how to end the game

Agricola is my favorite game ever, but it's not a good game for a non gamer. After something more complex like Settlers or Alhambra you could try something like the family version. Personally, I'd move up to something like Endeavor or Stone Age next before Agricola, but it depends on the group.

One thing I have learned though... once you start someone off with something they aren't ready for, it will be difficult for them to enjoy board games from then on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
edith schielle
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have a friend who have settlers of Catan, and some of my friends like it very much.But thats it...or we play monopoly deal, or we play settles of Catan when this friend is in town (he lives in another city)...so, I figured that is just time to introduce them to other games...

But you are probably right...I should take it easy with the complexity of the games and the order I will introduce them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
This company has made statements in the past about a Portuguese version of Agricola. Might want to ask them for an update.

http://www.runadrake.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.