Subject: QWIRKLE or INGENIOUS for 2 or More? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Austin
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! I am very interested in an abstract game for me and my Mrs. (With the possibility of more later). I have not seen a comparison done between Qwirkle or Ingenious, and I wonder which game would be more "fun"? I know that the characteristics of "fun" are different for everyone but surely someone has played both games? I could really use the help of the community on this one. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with Ingenious (just because I've played it more).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely prefer Ingenious because it has more strategy, although both are abstract tile-placement games. Ingenious is just as easy to learn, is as portable, is as appealing to non-gamers, and has more depth. With more than 2 players, Qwirkle seems chaotic, and it still is somewhat even with 2. Ingenious is one of the few games I've played that scales great for 2-4 players. In Qwirkle, there is some strategy but most moves seem obvious. Qwirkle takes longer than Ingenious, and it isn't any more non-gamer friendly (my opinion) I would definitely recommend Ingenious. It really is ingenious!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both of these games with 2&4 and would judge equal as far as fun goes. Both are great games. I would have a hard time choosing between the two.

I'm glad I own both
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for ingenious. I just think there is more game there. Qwirkle might be better for kids (but sounds like that's a ways off).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Miller
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Working through the night Jeff fixed the broken link. After being fixed the broken link became Jeff's BGG profile.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have about 10 plays of Qwirkle under my belt, and 25 of Ingenious...

I agree with everything said above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingenious has much more depth, is more enjoyable, and offers more strategic decision making.

Qwirkle is probably fun with little kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand why Qwirkle gets so much more love than Qwirkle Cubes!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Austin
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for everyone's reply so far. Unfortunately, I am still unsure of which to get.

Depth of decisions?

I like the idea of blocking and taking from your opponent (a screw your neighbour style). Which of these two games has this ability?

Also, components-wise, which are sturdier and feel better to place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A difficult decision indeed. I own and like both a lot. Like most of the others, I enjoy Ingenious a bit more. Don't know why, but I find it more addictive. I don't usually feel like playing an immediate re-match with Qwirkle but often do with Ingenious. Components-wise, they are both nice, though I'm not too fond of the Ingenious board (I prefer that of the Travel Edition, which is for two players only).

Blocking is more present in Ingenious I think. You can see which colours your opponents are worst at and will try to catch up on, so you can try to block that colour. With Qwirkle, it's mostly not placing a tile if you think it would give your opponents the opportunity to score a Qwirkle, i.e. maybe not lay down the fifth tile in a set so that your opponent only needs one tile to complete a Qwirkle (a set of six tiles that's worth extra points). But then you don't know what tiles they have and maybe the fourth tile is already too much, if they have both tiles needed for the Qwirkle. Ingenious has the more conscious screw-your-neighbour approach. With Qwirkle, I think it's more the product of chance and the blocking is often accidental. Might still cause the same frustration to the opponent and give you some satisfaction but is less strategic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can't answer your question, but Qwirkle Cubes is something you should also consider. It has a level of strategy unavailable in qwirkle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and enjoy both games but have to agree with everyone else, if I had to pick one it would be Ingenious. It's just a better game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Austin
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I own and enjoy both games but have to agree with everyone else, if I had to pick one it would be Ingenious. It's just a better game.

Sorry, why is this so?

There were a couple of indivduals whom mentionned Qwirkle Cubes. Are they any better than Qwirkle AND Ingenious?

Thanks once again, but I don't quite have a feeling as to why one is better than the other, as opposed to "It is!".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Qwirkle Cubes most of all.

Different from Qwirkle or Ingenious, you get 6 (I think...) large wooden dice that have all of the shapes in a regular Qwirkle game in a single color.

At the beginning of your turn, you choose which cubes (dice) you want to roll, in order to try to get a different shape in that color. (If you had a blue diamond facing up, but you needed a blue starburst, you could choose to roll that die to change the shape - but not the color)

Placing and scoring rules are the same as in regular Qwirkle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Backues
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Gr1mAce wrote:

I like the idea of blocking and taking from your opponent (a screw your neighbour style). Which of these two games has this ability?

Blokus

Ingenious does as well, particularly towards the end of the game, but Blokus does much more so, because it is all open information.

My wife and I own Ingenious, which we find okay, and blokus duo, which we like a lot. Blokus, being luck free and open information, is a deeper and more intense play experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the big downside to Blokus is that I don't like it outside four people. Fewer than that number, and players have to play for the missing players, either taking on two colors, or alternating plays for the missing fourth player with three.
There is a way to create the Travel Blokus board with regular Blokus, this may alleviate these concerns for some, but you're still left with a game that suits only two or four players, and arrangements being necessary to play with two.

Ingenious plays one, two, three, or four just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a lot of both and Ingenious is far superior for all player numbers. I really enjoy Ingenious as a partership game with two teams of two.

Qwirkle is just okay with 2 players. With more than two, the game gets so streaky that I would rather play just about anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Creveling
United States
Marietta
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife tends to like abstracts but would never consider them as such. She just likes games she considers fun.

Games she likes a lot

Blokus (Or some variant we have all but the 3D)
Tiki Topple
Qwirkle Cubes
Ingenious
Dizios
Fits

I asked her and she like qwirkle cubes above ingenious but tiki is her favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.