Subject: Solo 3 Players: Are You Making Any Compromises? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
What rules are you bending to adjust for the scalability issue? What heros and decks are you playing?

I'm >< close to giving up the game because I don't want to play solo with 2x3 heros and I resent having to play Eowyn to have a chance. I'm new to CGs, so I would appreciate the insight or coughcheatscough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is "solo 3 players"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a hard game solo. IMO this is a good thing and keeps it from getting old and stale. I don't think you need to bend any rules to win solo with a single deck. The only thing I would suggest is to not use the tournament minimum of 50 cards for custom decks if you only have one core set. If there ever are tournaments, I imagine almost everyone will be using multiple cores.

The two decks I've soloed with the most are a 2-core Eowyn, Theodred, Denothor deck (with no Gandalf) for Down the Anduin and a standard 30 card mono-sphere Tactics deck for Mirkwood.

I grant you that I consider Eowyn to be the strongest hero so far but she is not required in order to be able to win solo. Subtle changes in strategy and tactics can have a dramatic effect on your win percentage. For me, that's the thing that makes this game so interesting. Just going with the obvious moves will only get you so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am not bending any rules to adjust for scalability.

Some ideas for you:

Look for some deck lists in the strategy forum, especially ones by xanalor. He posted a Lore/Leadership deck a couple weeks ago, that I tried and beat every quest thru Conflict except Dol Guldur.

50-card minimum is for "tournament rules", not regular rules - and makes the game more difficult. If you're having difficulty, ignore this minimum until you can win regularly.

Use a 34-card deck, with a max of 2 of any particular card. This gives you approximately the same ratio of cards/deck as a tournament deck and compensates for the lack of 3x each card in the core set.

Eowyn is certainly the best quester, so learn to win with her, and then try switching her out for someone else. Glorfindel is 2nd best quester. It is not necessary to have Eowyn.

If you have Hunt for Gollum, Bilbo is awesome when playing solo!!

Don't use Tactics in solo play until you can win regularly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Brown
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tubarush wrote:

50-card minimum is for "tournament rules", not regular rules - and makes the game more difficult. If you're having difficulty, ignore this minimum until you can win regularly.

Use a 34-card deck, with a max of 2 of any particular card. This gives you approximately the same ratio of cards/deck as a tournament deck and compensates for the lack of 3x each card in the core set.

If you are struggling, I would just suggest using less cards in your deck. Using decks of about 25 cards with up to 3x each card, you have a lot better chance of winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.