Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Schultz
United Kingdom
Swansea
Swansea
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi, a question on combat. If a scout moves into a hex with a mine and a miner ship how does the sequence work? Does the mine kill the SC and save the miner or does the movement of the SC into the hex kill the miner before the mine goes off?

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilcoxon
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My unofficial and slightly off the cuff interpretation leads me to think that no, the miner would survive. Why: The first step of combat order is move off the map, eliminate decoys, reveal units, attacker conducts minesweeping, mines detonate, form battle lines. Then, the attacker fires. This indicates to me that the scout would die before firing. Additionally, 5.4 states that noncombat units are destroyed if targeted by a firing ship so if the mines eliminate the firing ship the miner survives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
divedeeper wrote:
My unofficial and slightly off the cuff interpretation leads me to think that no, the miner would survive. Why: The first step of combat order is move off the map, eliminate decoys, reveal units, attacker conducts minesweeping, mines detonate, form battle lines. Then, the attacker fires. This indicates to me that the scout would die before firing. Additionally, 5.4 states that noncombat units are destroyed if targeted by a firing ship so if the mines eliminate the firing ship the miner survives.

Sounds right.

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dauphinais
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flawed Hero
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
that's right, and several places in the rules make it clear that non-combat units are eliminated once there is no presence of friendly combat units in the hex, whether there were none to begin with, or they were destroyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The key point is to realize that the mine counts as a "combat ship" for this purpose.

So it goes off, kills the scout, and the miner lives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.