United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been few games released that have recieved as much fanfair on BGG as has Shadows Over Camelot. Does the game live up to the hype? I think it does for the most part.

Shadows Over Camelot is what is called a cooperative game or co-op. In short the players play the game as a team towarda acommon goal...except for the traitor but we'll get to him in a bit.

For the components Shadows Over Camelot is very nicely done. It's game and quest boards are thick and have some very nice art work. The cards are truly of the best quality I've seen in a game like this. They will easily stand up to many hours of repeated playings. The miniatures are made of plastic and very nicely detailed allowing for someone to paint them and add even more to the look of their gaming table. Components wise this game has recieved the royal treatment.

Gameplay in this game is relatively simply and pretty much the entire game is at the mercy of the cards. In fact I would classify this game more as a card game than I would a board game simply because the entire game is card driven. I don't say that as a bad thing mind you because I like the way this game plays but I've heard a few complaints in terms of this area.

The goal of the game is to complete a number of quests. These include things like fighting the Black Knight, retrieving Excalibur from the lake or searching for the Holy Grail. Each knight begins his turn by determining something bad to happen. You may either draw a black card, add a siege engine attacking Camelot or take a hit to your hit points. You may then do a heroic action such as play a card to fight a dragon, the Black Knight and so on. The Knights win the game if they can win more white swords than black swords at the end of the game.

What I really like is how this system allows for the game to scale very well. Because the players draw cards to see what bad things happen, the more cards you draw the harder things get for the knights. Less players means less bad cards but then again you have less knights to face the quests. In short this results in a nice balance of play no matter what the number of players.

I have played the game with 7 players and while I think 5 or 6 is the perfect number, I was surprised at how well this game played with 7. You can play the game with 3 or 4 and in theory just 1 but this game seems to enjoy more rather than less which is very rare in the gaming world.

Now we come to the traitor. At the beginning of the game each player draws a loyalty card. One of these cards designates the person pulling it as the traitor. He wins if the other knights lose. So while they are trying to win these battles, he's trying to lose them. Problem is he needs to be sneaky and make it look like he's on their side as long as he can. This traitor is what makes this game tick so to speak because if the traitor is good, he can really throw a monkey wrench into the plans of the other players.

In the end I think this is a good game and worth picking up. It's not the game of the year in my opinion but it is a well designed, thought out and nicely constructed game with quality components. It's game system is simple and yet provides a nice gaming experience.

I rate this game a 8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Aguila
Chile
Puerto Montt
Chile
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed the following thing in this review: There is a high percentage of luck in this one (Ok, some people don't care this, but to other yes. The important thing is to say it).
I agree 100% with Nick Case in his article at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewthrea...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marioaguila wrote:
I missed the following thing in this review: There is a high percentage of luck in this one

Then you didn't read the review. The first paragraph about gameplay says "pretty much the entire game is at the mercy of the cards."

Look, your opinion is valuable to people like me who are considering getting this game, but when you spam every review with the same comment, you come across as a thoughtless dumbass, which makes people (well, me) ignore your message.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Aguila
Chile
Puerto Montt
Chile
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very annoying with the game. It made me spend $55 partly because the reviews that I saw previously were not the sufficiently complete ones to have made a better decision. If to each review I add what I miss, I contribute to that future buyers have more elements to make their decision

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
marioaguila wrote:
I am very annoying with the game. It made me spend $55

Let's start with getting this straight: Nothing and nobody made you spend anything. That was your decision. It was also your decision to buy without reading more reviews. When my wife and I bought this game, we knew full well what we were getting, because we had done our research properly. The information is and was out there. Take responsibility for your own actions.

Quote:
If to each review I add what I miss, I contribute to that future buyers have more elements to make their decision

If this is really your concern, these troll-like comments aren't the right way to go about it. The entry for SOC does not have the "Card Game" category. There is such a category. If you believe this to be a card game, then you should submit a correction for the entry. Your submission will then be duly reviewed by the appropriate authority, and if it is considered to be well-founded the change will be noted. If your submission is rejected, then as far as BGG is concerned SOC is not a card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.