Hive» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can a Beetle move across a gap? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sai .
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suppose you have the following setup (1-4 random pieces, B beetle, a & b empty, . are nonexistent filler just to make it hexlike):

B.a.3
.b.4.

It's clear that the beetle B can move a.

However: can the beetle move directly to b?

The question is based on the one hive rule, if during the movement from B to b it is "detached" from the hive because it's no longer in contact with 1.

Aside: ISTR there being an official hive rules errata, but my googlefu has failed me at finding it. Any links?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you can't move the beetle from B to b. In doing so, the beetle has detached itself from the hive and therefore it has broken the one hive rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H Jacobs
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saizai wrote:
Aside: ISTR there being an official hive rules errata, but my googlefu has failed me at finding it. Any links?

I think you mean this one:

http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Hive_FAQ

I don't think it is official, but better than nothing I suppose.

H

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
saizai wrote:

No, because to get to (b) would take 2 moves, as the Beetle only moves one space per turn.

It would need to move around the hive. Firstly moving into the (a) position, and then moving onwards into (b) on a later turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith S.
United States
Dallas/Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:
saizai wrote:

No, because to get to (b) would take 2 moves, as the Beetle only moves one space per turn.

It would need to move around the hive. Firstly moving into the (a) position, and then moving onwards into (b) on a later turn.

UNLESS the Beetle at B was on top of another piece. Then, the beetle COULD move directly into the empty space b because the other piece in that hex simply makes it a move down into a space adjacent to the piece the Beetle was atop (which is always legal).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.