Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've run a couple games now with my Treachery 2.X variants and I really like the changes they make to the game. If you're not familiar with them you can check them out here.

I partially designed the Treachery 2.X cards to replace the Cylon Fleet Module and as such they wouldn't work with the Cylon Fleet Module. So I've had to rework a few things and here's my proposals:

Replace:

Cylon Patrols (skill check icon)

Skill Check: If there are no basestars in play roll a die. On a 1-4 place 1 basestar in Sector 1
Reckless Skill Check: If there are no basestars in play place 1 basestar in Sector 1. Activate Raiders and Heavy Raiders (not Centurions). Only 1 of this ability may be resolved in each Skill check.
Discard: If a human player discards this card they must roll the die on a 1-4 discard another card.

with:

CFM – Cylon Patrols (skill check icon)

Skill Check: Roll a die. On a 1-4 place 1 basestar on the Cylon Fleet Board (normal placement rules, but don't move the pursuit track). If there is already a basestar(s) on the Cylon Fleet board and you can't place another Basestar. Roll the die, and if the number is lower than the highest number on the Cylon Fleet Board that contains a basetar, move that basestar to the number shown on the die.
Reckless Skill Check: Roll a die. On a 1-4 place 1 basestar on the Cylon Fleet Board (normal placement rules, but don't move the pursuit track). If there is already a basestar(s) on the Cylon Fleet board and you can't place another Basestar. Roll the die, and if the number shown is lower than the highest number on the Cylon Fleet Board that contains a basetar, move that basestar to the number shown on the die. Activate Raiders and Heavy Raiders (not Centurions). Only 1 of this ability may be resolved in each Skill check.
Discard: If a human player discards this card they must roll the die on a 1-4 discard another card.

Ok so the CFM - Cylon Patrols got a little more complex. Let me explain the rational for the new card:

1. I didn't want to place a basestar on the main game board. That can completely stall the pursuit track and I could envision humans playing Cylon Patrols for that reason.

2. Placing a basestar on the Cylon Fleet Board will eventually help the Cylons (unless it's the last jump cycle)

3. If there are already two basestars on the main game board this card will do nothing unless the check is reckless and I'm OK with that.

4. The tricky part of the card. Say for example there is one basestar on the main game board and one on the Cylon Fleet Board. You can't obviously place another basestar on the Cylon Fleet board so this card allows you to improve it's position. Say the basestar was in the 7-8 spot on the Cylon Fleet board, you'd then roll the die and say a 3 comes up. You'd then move that basestar from the 7-8 spot (Sector 1) to the 3 spot (coincidentally Sector 3).

Replace:

Call in the Fleet (skill check icon)

Action: Draw Crisis Cards from the Crisis Deck until either a Cylon Attack card is drawn or 10 Crises have been drawn, whichever happens first. Then if applicable play the Cylon Attack card and then shuffle the other drawn crisis cards and place them on the bottom of the Crisis Deck.
Skill Check: Draw the top card from the crisis if it's a Cylon Attack Card immediately play it, otherwise bury the crisis card
Reckless Skill Check: Draw up to three cards from the Crisis Deck, if you draw a Cylon Attack Card immediately play it, otherwise bury the crisis cards
Discard: If a player discards this card draw the top two cards from the Crisis Deck, if you draw a Cylon Attack Card immediately play it, otherwise bury the crisis cards.

with:

Relentless Pursuit (skill check icon)

Action: Draw 3 crisis cards. Choose 1 to play and place the other 2 in any combination on the top or bottom of the crisis card pile.
Skill Check: Roll a die. On a 1-4 Advance the Pursuit Track 1 space unless the pursuit marker is on the 2 civs space and there are no ships on the Cylon Fleet Board. In that case decrease the Jump Preperation track by 1.
Reckless Skill Check: Advance the Pursuit Track 1 space unless the pursuit marker is on the 2 civs space and there are no ships on the Cylon Fleet Board. In that case decrease the Jump Preperation track by 1.
Discard: If a human player discards this card they must roll the die. 1-2: Increase the Pursuit Track by 2, 3-4: Increase the Pursuit Track by 1.

Yes I stole the title from the Thirty-Three special ability but let me explain the rational behind the changes:

1. There are no more Cylon Attack cards so Call in the Fleet had to be fundamentally changed.

2. The action use of the card is really a step up from Caprica. They can pick the best crisis to play, keep the ones they want on top and bury the ones they don't want the humans to see. Not only that it still activates Cylon ships!

3. You can see what I crossed through on the Skill Check and Reckless Skill Check abilities. It added too much complexity. There might be a time when the Cylon Fleet Board is at the 2 Civs marker without any ships on the Cylon Fleet board and the humans might try and trigger it with Relentless Pursuit just to reset the track, but that's just a corner case.

4. The discard trigger, see point 3 above. Humans might try and work it but they'd be putting more civilians at risk.

5. There are only 2 copies in the entire deck so 2 through 4 above and concerns regarding them are diminished somewhat.

*For both the skill check and reckless skill check abilities of both cards they can only trigger once for each skill check.

I'd appreciate feedback from my previous guinea pigs playtesters but all comments are welcome.

Also a new Treachery 2.X game will be starting soon and I'm always interested in torturing introducing new players to my variants. If you're interested in being included send me a geekmail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.