Hide
12 Posts

Gears of War: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Simple Rules Question - Locust Range rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan FakeName
msg tools
Perhaps I'm blind, but I can't find the locust range anywhere in the rulebook...do they just use the range on the weapon card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deckard Cole
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Unlimited. I forget the page it's on. This is the rule that most often gets me killed.

EDIT: Page 16, #3, Determine Defense Dice, Bullet #2,--- "Most Locust attacks have infinite range unless specifically listed on the Locust AI card."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan FakeName
msg tools
So I played 2 games solo last night and died miserably. That said, when does the unlimited range factor in? Most of the AI cards say, if COG is within X shoot, otherwise do Y. Is it for the boomers and such?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a handful of AI cards that don't list a range on them, such as #13, #19, and #14. Such cards could be very painful if the map setup means a locust has line of sight from the other end of the board. You are correct that most of the AI cards specify a range, but there's no "effective range" where COGs get extra defense dice if the attacker's more than a certain number of spaces away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles O
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for posting this. I felt the frustration building as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Rizo
msg tools
My wife and I just bought gow and gotta say that it's really fun! It's fast paced and exciting but this rule got us killed last night. Or should I say lack of rules. Anyway. Since drones most often (maybe always) drop the hammer gun. We reckon they should use that range. What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valery Prikhodko
Belarus
Gomel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lusse3 wrote:
My wife and I just bought gow and gotta say that it's really fun! It's fast paced and exciting but this rule got us killed last night. Or should I say lack of rules. Anyway. Since drones most often (maybe always) drop the hammer gun. We reckon they should use that range. What do you think?

We think you should look at the top part of this topic more carefully. 2nd post answered your question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that my question relates to the above. Sorry if it's nood question, me and my wife are just after two games.

The AI card says that Locust attack COG's in 3 range. The Locust still need to have clear line-of-sigh, right?

And when the AI card says: "Move 3 areas toward nearest COG figure" it means maximum 3? So when a Locust is only 1 area away he move only 1? Or should it go further to stop on third?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valery Prikhodko
Belarus
Gomel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jiloo wrote:
I think that my question relates to the above. Sorry if it's nood question, me and my wife are just after two games.

The AI card says that Locust attack COG's in 3 range. The Locust still need to have clear line-of-sigh, right?

right.
Quote:

And when the AI card says: "Move 3 areas toward nearest COG figure" it means maximum 3? So when a Locust is only 1 area away he move only 1?

Correct. In this case Locust move only 1 area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Martin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legion of DOOM wrote:
lusse3 wrote:

We think you should look at the top part of this topic more carefully. 2nd post answered your question.

But Drones spawn and move into cover which will greatly reduce their LOS, or do they move out of cover to fire?

Sorry to resurrect this but its the first item when I googled the question and thought id add on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Riquelme
Chile
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the AI cards tell you if the drones attack if they have LOS or don't

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In short:

COGS are affected by weapon range (-1 die for every space more than their weapon's effective range).

Locusts: no. Usually if they have LOS, they can fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.